Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT-112 or Euphonic Audio CXL-112L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SCT1422, Apr 27, 2005.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I'm wondering if anybodys ever done a side by side comparison of these 2 cabs... I'm looking for 1 or 2 small cabs for most of my gigs and I'll be using them with a Euphonic Audio Iamp 500.. My big rig consists of Bergantino HT-210 and HT-115 with a Kern preamp and Crest CA-9.. I've also thought of just trying the HT-115 with the Iamp 500 as well, but the smaller rig will be eventually used for keyboards as well.. I am a big fan of the Bergantino cabs, but wondering if the CXL will match up better.. Thanx for the help... Steve.. :bassist:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own both of these cabs (as well as the HT115 and HT210), and they are fairly different sounding. The HT112 has a strong midrange presence, and has full low mids, punchy upper mids, and of course a great tweeter (though it's a different tweet and crossover from the HT115/HT210). The CxL-112 moves more air, and goes deeper, though it is not as full through the lower mids. It is one of the most precise and clear cabs I have used. "Extreme clarity" is its forte, for sure.

I find that I need to use a bit of EQ to get the CxL-112 to sound just how I like it, but it responds to EQ well, and it will move plenty of air (it can really pump out some serious volume). The HT112 is more plug and play friendly, but ultimately does not get as loud, and does not get quite as low.

Hope this helps, Tom.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I echo Tom's comments but will only add that I would go with the EA since you're using the 500. EA amps and cabs offer VERY synergistic combinations and are really engineered to work well together.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Excellent point!

5. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Thanx guys... I have a friend of mine coming over tomorrow with his CXL-112L to check out.. I also have a couple of the 112 Bergs coming that I bought on-line.. If by some chance I like the EA's better, I can always resale the Bergs.. I love my HT-210 and HT-115 cabs though and I'm going to try those cabs with the EA amp too...

6. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My guess would be that you may prefer the CXL112 for bass rig/ keyboard doubling. I have not gigged with the EA vs Berg side by side but have gigged with both. From what I remember, the EA would be more accurate for use as a keyboard rig. I think the HT112 would work fine for keys and I prefer the Berg for my own use, but I think the Berg has a unique frequency response mildly accentuating low mids making it sound warm and punchy in a very good way. That sound may or may not work well with keys where you probably want an accurate as possible frequency response.