Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT 112 - Stand Alone??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikP.Bass, Apr 9, 2005.

1. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Just wondering how many people out there are using a Bergantino HT 112 as a stand alone for small - medium sized gigs. I play a four string electric.....and think the HT/EX stack may be overkill for me.....though, if I had the $$$.....hmmm.

Just looking for some stories, opinions. :eyebrow:

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Boston! I'm not far from you. I love Boston.

Eric, I have both the HT and the EX112's. I use just one cab for all of my small to medium sized gigs. It's plenty loud. I just a little more lows or I put it on the floor. I also play 6 string and my head is only like 240 watts at 8ohms (Glockenklang Soul Top). The Berg handles my B string like a charm. You're not gonna get huge lows out of it but I find that to never be a problem for me. I even use one HT112 in larger halls when I'm doing theater gigs and it's always enough. My suggestion is to get the HT and if you find you need more volume down the road for larger gigs than save up for the EX.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just saw in your info that you have a Ristola! Brian's a good friend. You must have gotten it at RockCity? Go back there and tell Corey or Justin that Andy Dow sent you in for a Berg 112! Also, if the Eden time traveler is your only amp you may want something a little more powerfull. Check out the WT 400 or the WT550 if you dig the Eden thing. You can get a 400 pretty cheap used.

4. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I am a bit confused about your response....you think I may have trouble driving the two 12's with my amp...I assume. I have heard that the Bergantino's are power hungry but I figured the WT-330 could handle it, though I have never tried to drive more than a single 12" or 15" cabinet.

Brian certainly builds quality basses. His attention to detail is simply amazing! I just noticed today, that he updated his website with pictures of some of the basses he built recently....including mine....if you are curious it is the Exotic Series in the gallery with the figured mahogany facing. Looks great, sounds great, plays great....I couldn't be happier!

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    erik,

i used to use an HT112 w/ an iAMP350 and a WT400, and the volume was plenty for my church / worship gigs. filled a room of 100 people with ease.

[​IMG]

6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with Joker - I use the HT\EX stack, but honestly have never tried them seperately. Together, they seem to be about the perfect solution for me (though all this Accugroove talk is killing me). Portable, clear, punchy and loud. If I were you' I'd definitely get the HT and add the EX later when you have the cash...

7. These are outstanding little cabs. I typically use both my HT/EX with my band but am mixing in other 112 cabs now for different vibes or added low end extention. As for one Berg stand alone I've used the HT for just smaller sessions and it's great. If you get just one make it the HT. There are some for sale on this site right now if they haven't been sold. Good luck. You might want to look at a used HT115 too. I just got one used today and it's whoopin'. Definately would do the job as a stand alone in small/medium and probably some larger venues. The 115 sounds very similar to the ht112 only way bigger and more lows.

8. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I did a bunch of gigs around town with just a HT112. It really did the job. People were always shocked that so much sound was coming out of it and a Clarus head. Sound guys like it because it doesn't put out too much competing low end for their mix. I played outside tonight on upright, without PA support in a loud Medeski, Martin and Wood-ish type jazz trio. I didn't bring my EX112 and the one HT112 sounded great.

My Focus SA will be here Monday and I'll be even lighter and louder. :hyper:

9. Those new thin Bergie's look cool and it's good to read that you all like the sound. The only reason I haven't considered one of these is that they don't come in a Neo version. After playing out of Epifani's Neo cabs, it would be very hard for me to lug around a (relatively) heavy cab like the Bergs. Does anyone know if he's considering a neo line in his product mix?

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not at this time. Jim's tried neo drivers and he's not satisfied with them as they are right now. This is a big reason why I respect Jim so much. He doesn't just go with what sells. He'll only put out products that he believes in. (I am not speaking for Jim but only what I've heard from others that have spoken with him.)

Personally, I've yet to hear a neo driver that I like myself. I'm disapointed that so many companies are using them and that the demand is there for them. People seem to care more about having light cabs than the sound. I'm sure that the sound is fine for certain styles, ex: more aggressive styles, but not for all and some companies seem to be gearing their products towards neo. I'm sure the design will develop with time but I'm not convinced yet. Everytime I hear a neo cab next to a Berg cab the difference is glaringly obvious to me. I also feel the same way about most digital amps but I guess you have to start somewhere with these designs.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, you should be fine with the amp you have. I've got a WT300 here that I've used a few times with the Bergs as one or two and it's worked out well for me. You will notice a difference with more power though. That of coarse goes for any cab, regardless of who makes it.

12. As happens often in this wonderful service, we disagree on the neo thing. The sound of the Epifani Neo's IMO is just amazing. I dumped all my original Epifani cabs and went neo just as much for the sound as for the weight. The Epifani neo's have a certain upper mid punch that sounds great to me. Of course, sound preference is very subjective, but man, if you have a chance to try the Epi 310 it is just amazing.

13. PS to mejazz.... I agree with you on the digital amps. That puts your comments regarding the neo speakers in context. They are somewhat aggressive, which is why I like them. However, I agree that they are very different from the original Epi's and the current Berg's (which I agree are wonderful in their own way). I guess I'm somewhat lucky that I actually love the sound of the neo's and get the weight as a benefit.

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a single HT112 for all my gigs. I don't play many large rooms or really loud so it's great. Don't get me wrong, it does get loud and it sounds great. I use an Avalon U5 and a QSC PLX 1202.

I play a 6 string fretless, 5 string fretted and upright with this rig and they all sound great. Does it have "thundering" low end? No. But it has a great full sound. I leave the "chest thumping lows" for the PA at the loud gigs.

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    You can use the HT by itself, but plan on needing a little more power than the eden wt330 puts out. I used a WT300 with the berg and always felt like it is at the limit. Great cab... you'll love it!

16. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Lots of different opinions on UL vs. NYC Epi's, but I've never heard anyone claim they sounded exactly the same - for better or worse.

17. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I don't get it - some folks are saying get a WT400 or 550 as the 330 wouldn't have enough juice? If you do the math, that's a pretty small difference in dB.... ?

My theory is unless you are at least doubling your power (3 dB), don't even bother.

18. I played 3 gigs with my HT-112 in the past week, with my WW bluelight Ultra for a head. The band is Latin flamenco/salsa with two virutuoso guitar players, violin & percussion. Mostly I'm supporting them and trying to stay out of their sonic space by cutting my highs and upper mids and providing booty. My job is to be felt more than heard.

The single HT-112 works well for this in medium clubs, though I have the bass up pretty high on the WW and I'm using some wattage when I dig in. I'm playing either a passive MTD P5 with Sadowsky flats or my MTD 535 koa/spalt/wenge/wenge. I use an amp wedge to tilt the cab up so I can hear it.

My Eden 400+ will definitely not cut this gig. I've tried it. It runs out of headroom when the music peaks. It would probably work ok with the two 112s at 4 ohms.

Aloha,

Jonathan

19. I don't understand your comment here. My point was they sound very different... with the UL's having much tighter low end and a more pronounced upper mid punch. The weight is a bonus for me, not the primary reason for purchase.

20. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Subscribe.

I have an HT115 and HT210 that I love. But I like the weight of the mini Bergs. I'll have to go to Club Bass and do a side by side. (Like the idea of Epifani)