Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT-115 - impression

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Apr 15, 2005.

1. I had a chance to do some playing on my HT-115. Below are first comments copied from another string. Thought I start a new one.

Quoting self:
    I only received the HT115 on Saturday. It arrived in excellent condition from Lex.. thanks Lex! I did have some time to mess around. I went back and fourth with the HT112 + WWU on top switching back and fourth between the T112 and HT115. I experimented with the cabs on and off the Gramma Pad in my practice room and used both my Sadowsky basses one with flats and the other with Rounds. I also tried my Lakland Joe with flats and with rounds.

HT115 definately has a bigger bottom and sound much like a very big HT112. Together the Bergs sound very good and didn't find that one overpowered the other, at least in my room. I found that the stack sounded better off the Gramma Pad and with the HT115 sitting on it's bottom not on the side which I tried. It got noticably thinner while on the side. As stand alone it was quite impressive but might sound better with the Demeter/Crest rig (didn't have time for that). I plan on getting my Pal's HT210 to try with it, but at this point don't know if I'm going to purchase a HT210.... maybe.

My conclusion thus far is this is an expectional cab. It's pretty hefty to move around at least compared to the much lighter and smaller 112 cabs I'm so used to. Also, I found the HT115 to be a bit reduntant to my recently purchased Epifani T112 that I use strictly for the bottom cab on my mini rig with the HT112 on top. I found that compared to the HT115 for the bottom, the T112 is just about as loud and has just about as much added bottom end, but is overall smoother and much lighter. I think at this point I like the T112 a bit better on the bottom of the HT112 using the WWU. It is also my unfounded opinion that the HT115 is ideally mated with the HT210. I hope to find out soon. We are very gig shy right now so I can't do any real situation testing.

2. OK. Here is my first impression with my other rig, the Demeter 201s and Crest CA9.

Instantly this combination was impressive. The HT-115 opened right up with the nuclear juice from the CA9. The tones from my Dem with at least one Telefunkin NOS tube and on JJ was very warm and solid. I pretty much left the Dem flat since there isn't much EQing on it anyway. Mostly I tweaked around with my Sadowsky VJ4 never got to the PJ4 with flats, but soon will. My minumal slap skills sounded good and the finger style, which I'm much better at, was even and punchy pretty much all over the board. I still hear a tad of uneven sonicness on the E string playing between F# and B. This occurs with all my cabs (except the NV610) when using roundwound strings. Could be my old ears. Sometime I'll get down on one knee and get right in front of the driver and it will smooth out some. Also the more I move away from the bridge while playing will help clean up those tones.

I'm very anxious to try this cab with my Pal's HT210 hopefully this weekend. If he makes it over I will try it with the WWU and DemCrest rigs and both ways being the 115 top and bottom on and off Gramma Pad. Again, this cab impressed me more with the big gun than with my WWU which was also very good. And futher, the Berg 115 is the best single 15 cab I've every played through. I have not tried them all just for the record.
    More to come soon I hope.

3. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Nice review Big!

I am reading more and more about the Crest CA9 on TB. While I don't know that I would ever buy one because of the weight... the continual praise is starting to change my mind. I have one power amp, an older Stewart 1.2 and it does not sound any better than my current WWU.

Would you say that with all of your cab combinations, the CA9 significantly outpaces your WWU?

4. PJ
    To be fair the WWU is a combo. For it's size it is an amazing unit. I really like it. Is it the end all ??? For some yes others, no. For me, I am always trying new things. In comparison to the CA9 which of course is just an amp, the Crest has more "effortless" dynamic power than anything I've tried. I would say first hand that employing the Crest always seems to sound great with any of my cabs and others I've tried it with. Much depends on your style, bass, signal chain, preamp, cabs and taste. I prefer the Crest, at least power wise, to anything I've tried. It is heavy, but you can mount it in two space rack and it's not so ominus. I may do just that myself and aquire different preamps to play with. I've even tried the WWU pre section using the Crest and liked a lot. I got the WWU site unseen because I wanted a very small amp with a great reputation. Plus, if I didn't like it I pretty much had a 99% to 105% resale ability. Truthfully I would not sell it for more than I paid, but I've seen it done. Also, most of the time and I mean 98%, I currently use the WWU. Never had a problem with it. People have used them for 20+ without any issues. I'm happy to have some great choices. I'm also going to be playin' through a TFB550 very soon. I would also love to try an iAmp800. Did I answer your question now that I'm looking back at all I typed...?

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Great review!

How big and how loud gigs do you think a Berg 1x15 could manage on it´s own (with and without PA support)?
    Ive always been a 15" fan but I´d like to move only one cab around. Will one stand up in a moderately loud pop/alt.country band?

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I love my HT 115. Glad to hear you like it too BS! Lately I have been using my old ampeg v4b with it and the lows are very big sounding. Its hard to say what size venue it would work for. Ive always had PA support when Ive used it live. When I get a good volume setting I always have lots of headroom left.

7. Hi Jock
    Tough for me to say since I haven't had it out. My band (6pc w/horns) is moderately loud with PA support always. I've had various 'cutting' issues from time to time and am still experimenting with different gear. Right now I think the cab would hold it's own in my gig since our drummer is aware not to beat the livin' crap out of his drums most of the time. We try to use dynamics and keep stage volume reasonable. This cab has some nice MIDs going on an probably would cut pretty well. The bottom end is impressive too. In your case I think the HT-115 might be all right and pass the one cab test. Allot depends on your taste etc. too. I would say it's fairly efficient but like all bigger Berg HT series cabs, they like head room and power the best. What amp will you be using and is your main bass active or passive..?

Another option is to call Jim Bergantino who will be happy to answer all your questions and try to get what is right for you. He is the Psychiatric Bass Doctor complete with a couch to lay via your phone line. A great guy who cares what you want to accomplish.

8. Hey Met
    Thanks for chimmin' in. Might try a HT210 this weekend. Have you tried the 210 on the bottom of your 115? Jim himself has suggested this.

9. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I really look forward to reading reports on the HT210/HT115 combo. I may eventually consider putting a HT115 with my HT310.

10. Thanks. In the meantime I do believe there is quite a lot of posts on this gear if you feel like searching.

11. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I did a lot of reading before I ever got the HT310. I'm looking forward to the added input. :hyper:

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Dean, GREAT review! Thanks! I suspect the Bergantino 1x15/2x10 is going to be a KILLER combination as I know you suspect. I am a big fan of 1x15/2x10's.

I am looking forward to your review with your new Thunderfunk550 as well. When do you expect to have your Thunderfunk? I just got off the phone with Dave Funk. Mine will arrive mid-week! Woohoo!

Lastly, it could very well be that the Accugroove El Whappo Jr or El Whappo are the end-all. (If there is such a thing?) I will refrain from trying an Accugroove cab until after reviewing the Thunderfunk TF550 with my Bergie HT322 and my Bergie HT/EX 112 stack. The Bergantino's are still my benchmark reference cabs. I Love their performance and tone. (Not to mention Jim Bergantino being such a great guy!) Thanks again Big! Gary

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    When I went up to Low Down Sound to pick up a used HT310 that I had asked them to hold for me, I saw that they also had a new HT115 in stock. It was the first time that I had heard either model, and both cabs impressed me immensely. The HT310 was every bit as good as I had hoped it would be, but the HT115 just crushed my expectations! I played like three notes through it before I knew I had to have it! I was using my WWU at the time, though I agree with the Bigster that a Crest CA9 pushes it even better. Shortly thereafter, I picked up a used HT210, to boot.

The HT210 and HT115 are the same size, and are both 8 ohm cabs, so they make for a heck of a combo. But, based upon my preliminary results, I think I like the HT115 even more with the HT310. The 310 is a 4 ohm cab, so the WWU cannot power both, but with the CA9, I can dial in appropriate amounts of each. I have also powered both with my DB 728 (set to 2 ohm), and they sound great! Here's a shot of that rig (with DB 659):

[​IMG]

To be honest, though, I have only plunked around a bit through the HT210/HT115 (with the 115 on the bottom), and this was in my very cramped music room. I'd like to get them in a bigger room and really put them through their paces (and try the HT210 on the bottom). I'd also love to try two HT115's. The tight, deep low end, plus clear, punchy mids and sweet high end are all so very addicting!

Later, Tom.

14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I love my rig. I would like to get the 112 mini rig as well.

I have used the 115 on it own in a blues jam, small club and it keeps up with a drummer just fine. Together they are overkill . . . I mean awesome . . . .

[​IMG]

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    So, Steve, do you also prefer the HT210 on the bottom?

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The 210 and 115 were so made for each other! I have tried both ways and dont really have a preference. Actually now its whatever cab comes second goes on top. :p The 115 on top provides a little more heft to the sound overall but its not a huge difference. Also I have used both cabs standalone with equally good results. I love these speakers! :bassist:

17. YOUZ Guyz ain't helping the GAZZ.

Anybody ever need or use a Gramma Pad on the bottom of this stack set up?

I forgot to mention in my second post that while using the DemCrest rig I did in fact have the GPad under the HT115. Sounds great. While using the WWU, HT115 and GPad... not so good...sounded mucho better off the GPad...

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Interesting. I haven't tried monkeying with the Gramma yet.

19. One thing I keep forgetting to mention and of course most of you already know is that the Gpad is for decoupling/isolating and it does a great job..while adding "focus" a wonderful tool. Specifically, it can change how the cab/rig performs for good and or not so good sometimes. If you do lose some of your tone or oomf you may have to EQ. As I stated you all know this stuff, but some may not. So, my statement is that I usually try my rig on and off the Gramma Pad and then decide. Most of the time I know instantly. I never leave for a gig without at least one. I have found that most ported cabs in some instance benefits from the Gpad.

20. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Tom, I usually run the 210 on the bottom but to be honest I have had very few occasions to use both together and have not really done an A/B swithcing them around. But the more I read your posts and Big String's the more I want to try experimenting. I'm new to all this comparison stuff.

Most of my gig I use the 210 only but I would like to bring the whole rig to the next blues jam just from fun. Probably knock over a wall and break a few windows.

I just got a Gramma pad today. Thanks TBer Rev Groove. I am thinking about bringing my rig to the gig tonight and trying it with and without the Gramma pad but its an Acoustic open mic so I never know what I will be asked to play. Could be EUB or whatever so may not be a good test. Certiainly won't be 'concert' volume.