Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT112 and NV425

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FireBug, Oct 13, 2005.

1. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I got the opportunity to place these cabs tonight.
    I played both through an Ashdown ABM EVO 300II
    http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/bass/detail.asp?ID=5

I was very impressed with the HT112. For such a small box it is very responsive. Nice round and full lows (though this cab can't compete with the NV425-awesome cab) for its size, somewhat punchy with defined treble. The cab farted out on the E string of a Lakland 55-94 and a higher end Spector neck-thru. I don't think I have to tell you what happened when I hit the B string. When looking at the speaker I noticed that it wasn't even really moving that much. I've seen the speakers in my 4x10 jump twice as far without even a hint of distortion.

The NV425 was just addicting to play. It seemed naturally warm and bassy by itself. I barely had to touch the bass knob on the ABM. This cab is capable of filling a room with sound at a relatively low volume. The sound seemed to come from all around me. This cab was dream to play through. It is very punchy and had a lot better response and warmth throughout the frequency spectrum. The 55-94 was meant to be played through this cab and the two complemented each other very well.

The bass guys weren't there tonight and the guy told me to wait until they came in some other time to try out the EBS cabs in the back.

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    425's are like crack man. You are in.

:)

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The HT112 farted out because the Ashdown ABM300 doesn't have enough power for it, especially at 8ohms. I have the EVO500 and the B string is huge without a hint of the cab giving up.

4. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Hmm...that's something to think about. I'm in the market for a 12 right now and I had pretty much settled on a used Aggie GS112. I just wanted to try the Berg.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    +1 Bergies like juice. I remember when I first got my Bergies HT12's, and tried one with my old SWR SM400 & SVT3...farted out. When I hit them with my QSC's or Thunderfunk......sonic nirvana :bassist:

6. +1 to jerry and emjazz

I had been using a Series II Clarus together with the Berg mini-stack since I bought them and they farted out easily, especially with just one cab (HT112). I like the sounds I get from my Stewart 2.1 combined with some kind of pre. My old SM-400s sounds pretty good but I never have to crank it to the point of distortion. I no longer gig with either the Stewart or the SWR due to their size and weight. I'm currently feeding my HT112 with a WW Ultra and it is ridiculous. You'd never think this little speaker could be so hungry but it is!

I find that I actually prefer the EX112, maybe because of the amps I've been using. With everything flat, my active bass plugged into the WW or pre/Stewart yields a pretty bright tone as it is. Whenever I use the HT I almost always have the tweeter off. I do slap some but mostly I'm after the rounder sounds, I guess.

Try the Berg, try the Berg! :hyper:

7. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Sorry for the off topic:

But my experience is the same; I have an EA Cxl-112L and I powered it with a QSC (800W @ 8 ohm/Bridged), and I never heard the cab fart. With a Yamaha BBT 500 and an Aguilar AG500 the cab farted at a low volume with my E string :eyebrow:

Pedro

8. Berg HT112 can take it for sure. Cab was farting because the Ashdown was not enough juice. I've run my Berg Mini's with a CA9/Demeter201s and they loved it. Amp rig weighs more than the cab and is kinda to heavy for to set on top though... at least for my comfort zone. I just set it on the side vertically. Mostly use my WWU with the Bergs ... KaBOOM :D

9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Yes the Bergs do need power.. I had an Euphonic Audio Iamp 500 and it just didn't have enough juice.. My Ashdown ABM 500 RC EVOII has plenty of power as well as the Yorkville BM400H that I just picked up for a backup/rehearsal.. I also just got the new berg cabs, the HT-210S and the HT-112S... They sound amazing and I can't wait to try them on a gig... :hyper: :hyper:

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Aha! That's why you were getting rid of the Berg 112's! Now I get it. :D

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    True that. But power up two Wizzy's with that 500 and...mercy! Sweet! ;)

For the record, I use the WWU with my HT112/EX112 miniBergiestack and it's my favorite rig.

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a Bergie HT112 with my Eden WT-550 and it sounds great. Never farts, great tone, plenty of volume - even without PA support.

I'd love to have a Bergie stack!

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I look forward to hearing your gig report! Jim seems to be hitting the ball out of the park with just about every design (though I still give him grief about dropping the HT115! :D). Of the "S line", I've only heard the HT210S, but it was very impressive.

As for the NV line, I'm glad that we have these available, because there aren't that many really good sealed cab options out there. For tube amps, I definitely prefer a sealed cab design (with a few exceptions). I'm hooked on my NV215, but both the 610 and 425 are awesome cabs.

One note on the HT112: if you like how one of them sounds (and yes, they need juice), wait until you hear two! :bassist::bassist:

Tom.

14. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I have the HT 210S and HT 112S also. So am I to understand that the ABM 500 EVOII does put out enough power to run those two cabs together with out breaking up? If that's the case, I am very happy as that was one of my only worries about getting the Ashdown head as I know that the Bergantinos love power.

Andrew

15. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey Andrew... Pick up the Ashdown, it's a great combo with the Bergs...