Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT112 & EX112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scot, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Hey everyone. It's my first post on talkbass. This is a great bass resource.

Because of back problems I'm going to have to sell my SWR Goliath II and look for a lighter alternative. I've been eyeing the Bergantino HT112 and EX112. I have an SWR SM-900 (older one). How would the two Bergies together compare to the Goliath II in terms of power, punch, bottom, clarity, etc.? I'd love to hear from anyone that has an HT112 and EX112 combo. Thanks in advance.

-Scot

2. Scott,
    Never had a SWR Goliath, but I love my HT/EX duo. Very portable and very clear, punchy, and loud. Berg's like power, don't be afraid to give them the juice, just don't clip your amp.

Do a search and you'll find lots of info.

3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Yep, they are lightweight, a breeze to carry, beautiful tone. The HT has a silky smooth top end. Surprising oomph and impact from such small cabs! This design is about sweetness, accurate mids, and cutting through- I think there are 12's with more bottom if that is what you're looking for. I power mine with an Eden WT-550. This works fine but they will certainly handle a lot more power. I have not personally used a Goliath II so I can't help you with a comparison. If you buy Bergantino you will be choosing a highly regarded product that has many satisfied owners. :hyper: Good luck Scot!

4. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Thanks a lot for the info! I wish there was a local dealer in the San Francisco bay area so I could try one out. I'm probably going to just go for it and order them. Dang, I'm having a serious G.A.S. attack.

-Scot

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I suggest you contact Jim Bergantino via phone or email. He's very easy to talk to and can be very helpful.
    [He might be able to point you to someone close by that could help or make other recommendations.]

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ya, do a search on bergantino. Alot has been said. They are great cabs, Ive had mine for over a year and they have never let me down. I went to buy the 322 and came home with the two 112s, then later got the 322. Nice, small cabs!

7. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    My back asked me to find some lighter cabs too. I have an Eden 401XLT in the practice room. Got the Berg HT/EX 112 stack and went straight to the practice room for a tryout with the band and against the reference Eden cab. First impression...the Bergs were LOUD and in your face. Interesting, since the Eden is known to have those same characteristics. The Bergs had more of a presence about them. The sound is tighter and not as boomy. I still love my Eden, but the 12's offered a more modern old school sound...thick but not boomy, tight but not scooped. And not clanky on the treble...my main complaint about the Eden until I turned the tweeter attenuator to 9 o'clock years ago. I left the Berg at 12 o'clock...no clank. While the Eden seems to get its booty from the low mids, the Bergs seemed to hit a bit lower, but the small cab keeps it from being boomy. It almost defies physics...big tight bass, loud, portable...me likes my preciousessesssss.

Next night was at a gig I've played plenty of times, using my Berg 210 alone the past few months...I took the 12's instead. The 12's had no problem keeping up on the gig...a worry I had. In fact, they can get scary loud. Through my Ashdown EVO 500, I pumped the bass to 1 o'clock, treble flat. Jim said not to be afraid to put some bass knob into them and he is right. The sound is addictive because it is so tight and controllable. Some songs I hit the scoop button, and the boosted lows weren't boomy, just tight and rock solid. I boosted the mids slightly (1 o'clock) to cut through to ever loudening guitars (Country rock with more rock as more beer is consumed). When a more laid back female singer I also play with did a few songs with the drummer and I in between sets, I set the mids flat to smooth out the testosterone. Little adjustments are very audible with these cabs. Mids from 12 to 1 o'clock fattened the sound just right to cut. Pan the pickups slightly to fatten or cut through...everything seems to finesse its way through these better than my other cabs...better than my Berg 210 and 115.

My advice: buy the little Bergs. Hang on to the SWR...410's are still wonderful cabs...every bassist should have one. That way you have options.

BTW, a couple of years ago, I demo'd the Ag 112's and Epi 112's at practice. I wish I had demo'd the Bergs back then. No they don't put out as much bass as the Ags (didn't care for any frequency of the Epi), but they are a lot more present and balanced over the audio spectrum. Another BTW, I split a gig using the other bass player's one Ag 112 recently, great bass response...but my D and G string disappeared...no high mid cut at all...a shame, cause the booty is nice. He is planning on getting a second Ag. Our bands are planning on splitting some more gigs. I'll keep you guys posted on our little shoot out of the 12's.

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
  9. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Thanks for the awesome review, Larzito! I just placed the order to Bass Northwest for an HT112 and an EX112. I can't wait to try 'em out. I wish I could hang on to the Goliath II but finances are dictating that I'll have to let it go to help pay for the Bergies. The Goliath II is an amazing cab as well. When I bought that cab I a/b'd it against five or six other cabs and it edged 'em all out. I do hate the tweeter in it, though, and mine is turned way down. I hate to let it go cuz it's been an absolute workhorse for over ten years. Thanks again for the replies!

-Scot

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks for the great review...
    I have got to hear those little guys...

Tell him the GS112 sounds great with a GS210.

11. I've had a lot of different cabs over the years but the Ht/EX112 covers my needs extreemly well. Right now I'm powering mine with a F1-X/plx 1202 combination and the tone is cutting but well balanced.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    [QUOTE

BTW, a couple of years ago, I demo'd the Ag 112's and Epi 112's at practice. I wish I had demo'd the Bergs back then. No they don't put out as much bass as the Ags (didn't care for any frequency of the Epi), but they are a lot more present and balanced over the audio spectrum. Another BTW, I split a gig using the other bass player's one Ag 112 recently, great bass response...but my D and G string disappeared...no high mid cut at all...a shame, cause the booty is nice. He is planning on getting a second Ag. Our bands are planning on splitting some more gigs. I'll keep you guys posted on our little shoot out of the 12's.[/QUOTE]

Did you try both the Berg HT 112 and the Aguilar 112 as a combination? Wonder how that would sound?

13. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I am also in the market for the EX/HT combo. I'm wondering if for an outdoor gig I'd need to mic 'em. Any input on that likelihood?

This will be a carnival atmosphere in a wooded grove. Old style bandstand with concrete floor and trussed roof. The next band comin' on will have a Hartke 2000 into a Hartke 15BXL and bassist/owner has generously offered to let me play his rig. I'm thinking that my BBE BMax, a PLX and a pair of Bergies would be the better way to go.

Your thoughts? Thank you.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stick with the Bergs. Those little speakers can get REAL loud and they throw'll sound like you can't believe. The real beauty of the Bergs is that they bloom as you get further away from them. While you're next to them though they sound tighter which always makes your playing tighter with the band.

15. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I had an HT112 last year, and it was the best sounding cabs that I have owned. Probably one of my biggest regrets selling. They really are amazing cabinets. They just sit perfect in the mix. I am on the lookout for another....

16. My 2 cents again.
    The only thing that I would do over is get a second HT rather than EX.
    The Ex is a great cab, but I find that as a stand alone I like the Ht better. Together they are fantastic. I often split them up and miss the tweeter were ever I leave the EX. True you save some money getting the EX and you don't need two tweeters. I would simply turn the bottom one off when using two. Something to think about. :meh:

17. Thanks for your 2 cents Big String. :D I have been debating on whether or not to upgrade one of my EX-112s to an HT, for the added versitility. I believe you have helped me decide to go ahead and do it.

I am currently using the two EXs with an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II and they absolutely kill! However, I think I would like to have that extra high end for slapping.

Yesterday I was playing around with just one of the EXs and cranked my head through it. Man, that little cab shook the whole house! I have used them as a pair since I bought them for live playing, and have not really had to crank them at all. Cranking them both at home would prolly get the police called on me, so I unplugged one and went to town! What everyone says about these things getting sweeter as you crank them is absolutely true.

Steve S,

I tried running an EX with my GS112 and it was OK, but the two EX 112s gave a tighter, much more focused sound. I think the problem with mixing the brands is that the two cabs make their best sounds at different volumes. IME the Aggie sounds great at lower volume, but it did not seem to remain very focused when cranked. This is the main reason I went to the Bergs in the first place. Aggie users, please don't get me wrong, I know tons of people love the GS-112, and I think it is a great cabinet. I believe that this problem may have been from my particular gear combination and application. :)

18. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Adrian, If it's any consolation, I'm still enjoying it very much. :) I use it with an Eden WT-300. Great little combo, imho. I have a second HT paired with an EX for band use.

Scot, If for some reason you don't like the HT / EX setup, it wouldn't be too difficult to unload them for close to what you paid. Your SM-900 bridged should be plenty of power, but they'll take more.

These cabs are the best gear purchase I've made and Jim Bergantino was very responsive to my questions.

19. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have an HT/EX pair that I like a lot. They will do just about anything I need, except outdoors, where I have found I need to use a DI and the PA as well. Use a lot of power, like folks say: I have a GK1001-RBII or Stewart World 1.2 that I use.

(FWIW, and not to knock the Bergantinos, but I also have a pair of Epifani T-112s that I like better - a lot more low end and more punch in the mix. Also, one Epi works for me in a lot of situations, where I always end up using the Bergs as a pair.)

20. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive used a pair of berg 112s twice outdoors with no problems. The guitar went through pa and my bass and drums did not. I played 5 string and powered them with a EBS td650. Hope this helps.