Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT112 or EA Wizzy?...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am looking at getting one of these cabs, I play an awesome Sadowsky bass and mainly use it for fingerstyle @ medium volume settings. I like to slap at home and only occasionally do it live. I am not sure which head I will use either an iamp 350, Clarus, or U5/small power amp setup. Either way I will be running 200-350 watts through any one cab. I canot afford more than one at this time so keep that in mind, thanks, Marc

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm a huge fan of the Bergantino HT112. My suggestion though is to ask Roger Sadowsky. Go ahead, give it a shot. ;)

3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    You might find this thread from the great tombowlus of interest.

I've not heard the Wizzys - but I'll say "+1 for the Berg HT!"

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    bump

5. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    I recently sold a Berg HT210 to buy a Wizzy. The Wizzy sounds much louder than the Berg. This is likely due to the Wizzy's increased sensitivity over the Berg, and the fact that the Wizzy runs at a 4 ohm load, as compared to the 8 ohm load of the Berg. The Wizzy weighs 27lbs, vs. 68 lbs, for the Berg. The Wizzy has a much more organic fingerstyle sound than the Berg. The Berg is much more mid-scooped, which makes for a more hi-fi slap sound. I have never tried the Berg HT112, but I have heard it is not at all mid-scooped like the HT210. Many people rave about this cab, so I'll let more qualified people on the subject comment. However, I can say that if you like a blend of old school warmth and modern frequency response, the Wizzy maybe the perfect small- cab solution.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use an Avaon U5 thru a QSC PLX 1202 into a Bergantino HT112 and couldn't be happier. I play upright, fretted and fretless, active and passive, 5 and 6 and they all sound great!

I've used it for jazz combo, big band and 10 piece funk band gigs. Fingerstyle and some slap, it's all good. It's also very light and portable.

Go for it!

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have a pair of the HT112's and I just love them. :hyper:

But my experience is that they just really open up with lots of power. They almost bloom into an incredible phat (over-used term) warm stew while retaining significant clarity. More old school than hifi.

I have mine plugged into my Fafner at home in my practice room and they just don't come alive until I get the watts rolling into them. And they seem to sound best with the PLX1602 bridged into the pair.

IMHO!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Most of my thoughts are already reflected in the thread linked above (thanks, Dude!). But, I will add that if you are only going to use one 1x12, the Wizzy would be much louder and more full sounding than a single HT112. Of course, if you like the high end zing for slap (or for other styles, for that matter), you might miss the excellent Bergantino tweeter. For most fingerstyle play, I would suspect that the highs you get from the Wizzy would be satisfactory. I like them a lot, in fact. But it simply doesn't have the super high end sparkle.

These are both really great cabs. I agree with the comments about the HT112 opening up with more power. The Wizzy is less critical in this regard. To save you a little scrolling, the Bergies were Combo C in my "shootout" and the Wizzy's were Combo D. Here is what I had to say about each (keep in mind, this is using two of each type of cab):

9. Hi Marc,
    You probably know I love my Bergie 112's. I might even get a couple more. I have no experience with the Wizzy, but many say wonderful things about them (t.bowlus for ex.) For a single cab uses, which are very few in my case, the single Berg 112 can be at times lacking, but I'm finding the more I use it this way (like at rehearsal), the more i like it. Generally though I bring both and it's very loud and clean. I will admit sometimes on a gig I have to stand to the side if I'm too close in front of them which lends to hearing myself mucho better. Great Cabs! I wish we were closer in location as I would be glad to lend them to you for a live show.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I can attest that the Bergs come alive with more power, especially a single one. With the Clarus (or similarly powered amp), one Berg HT is pretty thin sounding. However, the 300 watts from my Focus puts out at 8ohms (though not a massive amount of power) really makes one Berg alot fuller and phatter. Tom has tried everything though, so listen to him! Tom, how's the new bass coming?

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I wish I knew! I keep bugging Pete for pics... :(

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I should add that I have never gigged or even practiced with just one Bergie. I bought them both at the same time (used), and they're so darn tiny, I just always bring them both, if I am going to use them. I'll see if I can find some time to try both one Wizzy and one Bergie with my WWU, to give some more insight.

In fact, I've been meaning to do a 1x10/1x12 "shootout" for a while now. If only the wife and kids would conveniently go out for an evening so that I can shake the house with impunity! :bassist:

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Tom,

The Bergs sound so much like 10" cabs so me (though more full range) that I can't think of a 10" cab that would add anything to it. YMMV though.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm sorry, my post was written in a confusing manner. My goal was to to a "shootout" of my 1x12 cabs and my 1x10 cabs, individually, not as combo's. You are absolutely correct that two Bergie 1x12's leave no room for desire to try one of them with a 1x10. They are very well balanced and articulate on their own.

FWIW, the contenders would be as follows:

1x10's: EA VL-110, Epifani T-110UL, Raezer's Edge Bass 10, Hevos Midget, and Accugroove Tri 110 (which isn't really a "1x10", but it's close enough to throw into the mix).

1x12's: Bergantino HT112 and EX112, Epifani T-112, EA CxL-112, EA Wizzy.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Big, don't ask me why but I've found that putting the HT112 on the gramma pad and the EX112 next to it on the floor is incredible. I like it better than the speakers stacked. Give it a shot.

16. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Tom, let us know what we can do to help facilitate the above! ;)

17. Em
    Will doo, and thanks

18. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Can you still get a decent slap tone out of the wizzy?

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

Great idea!

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My new Skjold Custom 5 should be in pretty soon, so I plan on waiting until then to do any more "shootouts", because I
    would probably find myself doing them all over again anyway once I get the Skjold!