Bergantino HT112 Sizzle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowNote, Nov 14, 2002.

1. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I just received a Bergantino HT112 speaker today based on the reviews and comments in the forums. I've been using an EA VL208 and a VL110 together, and am searching for the one reasonably sized cab that will work with a Walter Woods Ultra for most BG gigs. Now that I have it, I'm not sure if this is it. In the quiet of my practice room, it is super bright and sort of sizzly even with the trebel control turned down to 9:00. If I roll off the treble further on either my BG or amp, then it sounds sort of squashed. I guess what I'm concerned about is that it sounds pretty raw to me although maybe this rawness is what will make it work on the stand with a band.

I'm trying to decide whether to go through the hassle of shipping it back and exchanging it for an EA CXL112, which I've also never heard before. BTW, a big part of this hassle is that with the closing of the LA Bass Exchange there is no place in the LA area to buy and listen to high end gear. Big drag! Thoughts from people who have used both? Would the EA CXL112 be a better speaker on its own, or would the Bergie be a better speaker on its own? That is the real question. When I add another cabinet with the Bergie, then things smooth out and it sounds a lot better.

Erik Hansen
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hi Eric,

I own both the HT112 and the CXL112, and they make a fantastic combination for my "loud" gigs. I've found the same "zinginess" or "airiness" to be a feature of the HT112 as well, and it can be pretty disconcerting at first. When I first took the pair out to my regular (relatively) loud gig, I thought that I was hearing way too much high end from the rig, and was pretty disappointed. But all of the bass players who fell by the gig to listen said it sounded great, and sounded like I was finally cutting through for the first time.

If you get a chance, get the longest cable you can get your hands on and play (preferably with your band) while standing in the "audience zone" and listen to the difference. In my opinion EVERY cabinet sounds funky when you are sitting right on top of it. The CXL112, for instance, is such a hot, powerful cabinet that it almost sounds like it's on the edge of distortion when you are close to it - but get a few feet away and it just sounds smooth and solid. I'm sure that there is some strange acoustical phenomenon at work to explain this, but I'll be damned if I know what it is exactly.

Lately I've been using a recently acquired EA VL208 as my second cab with the CXL112, and I like it a lot. Not as efficient or as deep as the Bergantino, but clear and accurate as a razor knife. It all depends on the sound you're looking for.
  3. I just got an HT-112 also. It does take a little getting used to. I am used to the bigger cabs like my HT-212 which is just the absoulte SH-T! If you have any doubts call Jim Bergantino and he will help you figure out your questions. He's one of the best when it comes to that. And Chris is right about getting away from your cab, all the dif in the world.
  4. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks to everyone who wrote back with suggestions. Now that I've had a chance to play the speaker a lot more, I now understand why people are crazy about the HT112. The secret to getting a wonderful sound out if, although it's pretty darn simple, was to boost the bass on my amp. That gave me the fatter bottom I was looking for while maintaining the zing on the top that should help it cut through the mix. I was also most impressed that Jim Bergantino, after receiving an email from me, picked up the phone and called me personally asking me how I liked the speaker and helping me to get the very best out of it. This kind of wonderful customer service is all too rare these days.

Although I'm comfortable that this light, compact speaker, when paired with my Walter Woods Ultra, is going to be sufficient for 80% of the BG gigs I do, I'm now planning on starting to save to buy another of the 112's, probably the EX without the tweeter, since I'm sure that two of these together must be absolutely incredible.
  5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i gigged with the HT112 earlier this week.

a trio: acoustic guitar, violin and lil' ol' me.

hooked up with my power rack, the HT112 DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEElivered the GOODS!!!!!!!

perfect for acoustic/non hard rock situations.

and big string is right about the HT212.

i rehearsed with the HT212 last night in my hard rock band.

my guitarist said,

"that rig sure makes up for small penis size."

everyone was totally blown away!!!!

and i was using the Roland V-Bass with no "real" bass mixed in.

the V-Bass LOVES POWER!!!! it sure sprang to action last night with my QSC/Aguilar/Bergie on the back end!!!!

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jim uses a different woofer in his HT112 than his 2/12.....for a more focused sound. What great guy to deal with:cool:
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yah the woofer is diferent. I think because of this quote from a email with jim

"The tweeter in all our cabinets is the same except for
    the HT112 which uses our high quality (and expensive!) bullet tweeter. "

the tweeters different too.

I own the combo your steering towards ex and ht 112 with a Ultra wally. It kills,but yah turn up the bass knob and for me a sans amp added to the chain really gave me more of the sound I was after on the electric. bben has posted lately about using a epi 112 with the ht and given that the epi is a physically large cab desighned with low bass in mind it makes sense.