Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT210 + 115 vs. Eden XLT 210 + 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pickles, Oct 25, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm typically a "just try it" kind of guy, but I could use some feedback on this one:

I was trying to reassmble my old D210XLT + D115XLT rig, when an HT115 came up for sale and I jumped on it, having heard a lot about these cabs. It arrives thursday, and I'm taking it strait out to demo with the band.

Now, on saturday I'm headed to orange county and boogiebass is selling a pile of bergatino cabs down there. If I like the HT115 it would be cool and easy to pick up a matching 210, or (HELP ME) I've been wondering what 2 115s and a 210 would sound like :ninja:

Could anyone out there compare the all eden 210+115 vs. the all bergatino 210+115? With all this talk of comb filtering I was going to stack the edens vertically in a line, which doesn't seem possible with the bergies due to the layout of the speakers.

I play loud-ish rock, funk, and pop ... and I like to sound GOOD :D Right now I'm using an Aguilar GS410 + GS212, and I think it sounds mid shy and a little harsh.

2. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I changed my title tag based on this thread :help:

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    oh it's possible, and it works great. i've played many a gig with my HT-210 stacked 'sideways' on top of my HT-115, and vice versa.

i've never tried the eden 115, but in my initial review of my HT210, i did compare it with an eden 210xlt. here's a link to that review:

http://www.bgra.net/reviews/bergantinoaudiosyste-4-rvw.html

good luck!
    -a

4. I thought I had read all there was to say about Bergantino cabs (Acme, Accugroove, Epifani, EA and Schroeder also). I learned something and it changed my thinking. Thanks.

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Aaron -- I actually hadn't re-read that review in a while, but I still feel just as strongly about the cab. Most of my recent gigs have been with an acoustic guitar/vocalist and a LOUD drummer, and using either the 210 or 115 as a standalone has been the *perfect* rig. Plenty of headroom with my 1001RB-II, and great tone no matter what bass I use. Can't say enough about these pumpers...too bad they're discontinued.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own both Berg cabs in question, and I have played through the 210XLT, but not the Eden 1x15. I think in general you are going to get a lot more clarity out of the Bergantino cabs, but still retain a balanced, full tone. The 210XLT seemed to have a low mid hump to me (not quite as extreme as the 410XLT, but similar).

My vote would be Bergantino.

Tom.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

But with the offset layout in both cabs, the 3 speakers are not perfectly in a line, right? I guess they are close enough?

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    They're not, but it hasn't been a problem. I use them horizontally too, and the 210s don't line up on either plane. I don't know what the difference would be, but it sounds fantastic regardless.

Cheers,
    a

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    aww man, now i want to try a HT210. bah!

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I had the Eden 115 for a brief period, may it rest in peace after I played synth bass through it too loud.

I have the accused Bergantino Ht115/HT210 suspects and I can confirm that these rascals are guilty of sounding AWESOME. Very balanced and articulate.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Well, I fired up the HT115 last night, and while it sounded very good, I found that it just wasn't loud enough. It was VERY deep, and quite sizzly ... a great tone especially by itself ... but I was clipping my QSC PLX1602 trying to keep up with the band. I'd have bridged the amp to try to get a more output, but I was already nearly at the power rating of the cabs, and needed a solid 3db more output (some headroom would be nice!). I think I would have blown the cabs up trying to get more output from them. Yes, my band is very loud, with three guitars. The all Eden stack always used to cut it without breaking a sweat.

3 things could be going on here.

1) The Eden 115XLT has more output and especially more mids than the Bergie. The box on the bergie is just so small I think its not getting all of the juice from the 15 that it could be. Does ANYONE have the published specs of the HT115?! I think the Eden IS louder but more importantly sits differently in the mix, with fat mids.

2) I've just gotten too used to the 6x10 rig (D-210XLT + Aggie GS410) that I've been running.

3) the PLX1602 is underpowered/overrated in stereo. I used to use an Eden WT-1000, with simmilar power ratings into the Eden cabs.

I'm getting very close to ordering a 115XLT, but I'm hesitating and thinking about getting a 410XLT instead. I do really like the tone of the Eden stuff better than Aguilar after all. :help:

12. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I don't doubt that the Eden may be a bit more efficient/middy than the Bergie, but I use my HTs as standalones with a GK head, and they are way loud in band settings. I usually don't even need to use both in combination.

What pre are you using with the PLX? I had problems matching the gains with my 201s into the RMX 2450. It wasn't until I started using the Presonus Eureka as a preamp, or comp/eq in my signal chain that the Bergies came to life. The Presonus has a LOT of headroom, and I think the QSC amps need sufficient gain to get them going.

-Aram

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    In all honesty, and speaking from firsthand experience, the PLX series are not the best amps to pair up with Bergantino cabs. You may want to give Jim a call. I would think that with the proper amp, the HT115 is going to be as loud as any 1x15 could be expected to play - and of course, it will sound better than any other 1x15 while doing it!

Tom.

14. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That confuses me. The tone coming from the HT115 was deep and tasty with the PLX, and the PLX is putting nearly the cab rated power into the cab ( 300 watts @ 8 ohms ). Are you saying the HT115 should be overpowered? I don't think and additional 25% power would get the volume up to where I need it.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm saying that - BASED UPON MY EXPERIENCE - Bergantino cabs sound better with a conventional "lead sled" power amp than they do with most switching power supply type amps. I have a PLX 3002, Stewart World 2.1, and three Crest CA9's, and the difference with the CA9 is real and substantial (again, IME and IMHO).

And for the record, I routinely use amps with higher power ratings than my cabs and vice versa (cabs with higher power ratings than the amps). My thoughts are that it is more important to watch your gain stages and listen for any signs of distress, and keep your volume/stress level within a reasonable range. Following this practice, I have powered cabs with 2x their rated watts (and more) with excellent results and no speaker damage.

Tom.

16. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I could always bridge for 1600 watts at 4 ohms
    :eek:

17. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Definitely sagacious advice -- even if your amp is rated at 1000 watts, bass guitar won't put out a constant 1000 watt signal...it may peak that high, but most speakers worth their salt should be able to handle that. Pickles, you should try bridging the PLX, and make sure you're driving it properly with whatever pre you're using (maybe try a little compression in the signal as well...I really dig the EBS MultiComp when I'm not using the Eureka).

As far as switching amps, I know Jim disdains them, but my GK1001RB-II sounds fantastic through both cabs (alone and together). Ok, it's a *little* on the bright side, but it's easy to roll that off. Just my experience.

-A

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Try it. Seriously. But, as I mentioned, keep a close eye on your gain levels (don't send a clipped signal to the amp), and listen very carefully. Start with the volume down on the PLX, and gradually bring it up. You may be surprised. Of course, you may still need a CA9... :ninja: :D

And I will be the first to say it. There are many people who disagree with me as to my thoughts on which amp to use. But, if you want a real expert on this issue, call Jim B.

Tom.

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm running an AmpegSVP Pro and using a Rane DC24 for compression ... no problems driving the amp (mine has "the mod"). I was getting peak lights flashing on the QSC before I swapped back to the 6x10.

20. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    OK, I'm playing again on saturday. I'll try bridging the amp. I'm very nervous that I'm just going to blow a cab (particularly the eden) ... but I do remember the 210XLT being quite a bit louder with my old amp, so maybe the PLX just has "generous" ratings.