Bergantino HT210 vs. Eden D210XST

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by embellisher, Dec 15, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As most of you know, my Eden Metro was stolen last week. So, as soon as I settle with the insurance company, I need a new rig. I am thinking small and light, but pretty loud.

I want to run a 210 cabinet and head, and preferably no other cabinets. And since I play mostly 5 and 6 stringers, I need something that will handle the low B.

Both of these cabinets have the rep for doing just that. People who have played both, give me some opinions please.:)
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The HT210 is my favorite small cab. It's tight and very clean. It's also extremely power hungry. When I use it by itself, I run it with 1000 watts from a mono-bridged Mackie 1400i most of the time. The D210XST is flatter than a D210XLT but still has a certain "wooly" coloration when compared to the clarity of the Bergantino. Of course, you may well like the Eden coloration and it's definitely less power-hungry (what isn't?) than the Berg. And the Eden is WAY less colored than the XLT line, definitely more hi-fi. Just not as "hi" or as "fi" as the Bergie.
  3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've A/B'd the two cabs extensively and can say that I much prefer the XST. The XST is not wooly in any way. The Eden just has a much fuller sound that would do great by itself. To me the Berg needs a little help from another cab to really be useful as a standalone but it does sound good. A friend of mine owns the Bergie and was real curious about my XST after I got it. We traded cabs for a night and I know I missed the Eden tone very much. My friend... well as soon as Eden has their business sorted out he's going to order the XST and get rid of the Bergie.

Forgot to mention, the XST seems A LOT louder than the Berg. I have enough power to spare so it wasn't a big deal when I tried it but it's definitely something to consider.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont know about the Berg, but I love my 210 XST.

Since you are used to the Eden sound, and aparently liked it alot I would recommend you go with this one. I hear that the berg is kind hi/fi sounding which isnt exactly what Id call Eden.

Its not the XLT sound you are used to, but still has a distinctly Eden sound, and killer low end. I would definetly recommend you try it out. Im sure you wont be dissapointed.

What are you planning on pushing it with?

WT-400 perhaps?

I hope you recover your Metro so you can use both that and an XST.

5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I just saw a Berg 2x10 on for $500, btw.
  6. Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I'm in a relativly similar situation, but on a thiter budget. What do you guys think of the Hartke 2.5 xl cab. I've tried it and it seem t handle the low be quite well. Any opinions.

7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    What you call "fuller sound" is what I call "coloration." Some like it, no question. I don't. I prefer a more accurate cab that doesn't add to the sound of my bass and my rig.

Of course an XST will be a lot louder with the same wattage. It's a matter of efficiency, an area where the Eden is much better. As I said, the Bergie is VERY power hungry. BTW, you won't have any idea what a Bergantino HT210 is really capable of until you hit it with a lot of watts. Anything under 1K is just not enough no matter what the ratings/literature says.
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Lets not forget that the man of the hour (Embelisher) is still mourning the loss of his Eden Metro combo, and is looking for something to replace this.

I think the 210 XST is really the way to go for him. Im not saying that the Berg is bad, I just dont think that our good friend over here really wants a transparent amplifier. Ive read several of his post where he praised the tone of his old amp and think we should guide him according to this.

9. embellisher

I went to my local Bergantino dealer, and a person who has misinformed me about things in the past told me that the Berg is 'way more efficient' than the Eden. I can't find any published specs on the D210XST, but based on what I have heard about it, vs. the published specs on the Berg and what boogiebass ha said about the cab requiring loads of power to open up the sound, I believe this 'local bass expert' is once again blowing smoke.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, what he asked for was opinions of both cabs. Which is exactly what I gave him. You're welcome to your opinion about what "we should guide" him on, Nick. I chose to take him at his word.
  11. embellisher

I appreciate that! Now if I can just convince my 'local bass expert' to order one in so I can A/B them.
  12. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Hey Embellisher,

Any news on your stolen gear? Sorry to hear about your loss, I know it's a very painful experience and I hope your insurance company takes care of you. Look on the bright side, shopping for a new rig might quell any current GAS you may have! :D
  13. embellisher

Geezer, I still haven't heard anything on the stolken equipment.

I have a $1000 deductible on my homeowners, so I am going to take a major hit. But, I plan on building a decent rig to replace it. It will just take a while.
  14. Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    I take it the local bass expert is Larry Morgan Music? They are nice enough but highly biased to the point of misinformation.
  15. embellisher

Yep. That's the place. The 'expert' in question is MM.
  16. iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Devnor is right. They are really nice guys. Went in to A/B some cabs and was well treated. Had to ask for their opinions twice, but when given, they definitely seemed biased. I'll take their opinions to heart but I'll trust my two little pointy ears more. They gave me good quotes without hassle. I'd definitely deal with them.

Embellisher, sorry to hear about your stolen equipment. I do currently have a D-210XLT for sale if your interested. Or if your heart is set on an XST, maybe I can hook you up with a guy that can order one for you.
  17. embellisher

iammr2, if I can't get Larry Morgan to order one, I will probably just buy one from Bass Central. I would like to A/B the cabinets, but if I can't, it's no big deal.

Whereabouts in Tejas are you?
  18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I honestly did not like the Bergie 2x10.

Now this may have just been the situation where the cab had been overdriven but the one that I tried out sounded like it had cone cry. I was also playing it through a GK RB800 with a new Sting Ray 5. The bass and head are just not my cup 'o tea.

I found this really odd as the Berg 3x10 and the 112 are two of my most favorite cabs or at least cabs that have left a very good impression on me when I tried them.

I, unfortunately have not had the opportunity to give the Eden XST a sound check. But somebody I trust alot, with the initial of GARD, says that the cab is the stuff. He's gotten a chance to put them sided-by-side and he went with the Eden. Hopefully he will chime in here on this.

Jeff, that really SUX that somebody stole from you. They will day. I'm very sorry to hear about it, just the same.

Yeah, MM is highly opinionated but I have always taken him with a grain of salt from the very beginning. I still like him and he's done good by me on several occasions. At least he is really into bass.

What ever you decide, we will look forward to your reviews.
  19. iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    I'm over next to Deep Ellum.

Call GC over in North Dallas and ask for J.P. He did some good things for me and I was considering ordering an XST from him. Good guy.