Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT310 Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by low_boy, Mar 12, 2005.

1. low_boy

low_boy

Mar 11, 2005
    Birmingham
    Hi Everyone, New member, first post.

(Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, I did some searching and didn't find any matches for this subject.)

I wondered if anyone out there has upgraded their HT310 with the later higher power handling speakers that Jim began to use? It seems like it might be a worthy upgrade, but only if the cabinet tuning were not adversly affected (it sounds way too good to change!). I haven't had any problems with blowing speakers, but I get the sense that if I ever play a large outdoor gig I might be pushing the 310 a bit hard. I use a Demeter 201s into a bridged Crest CA6.

Thanks

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Best thing would be to give Jim B a call and then let us know what he says.

I've thought this would be a great idea ever since I first heard the HT310 -- one of my all time favorite sounding cabs.

Two upgraded HT310...hmmmm...Double Your Pleasure... :hyper: :hyper:

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Basically the new speakers handle a little more power and are the same ones that are in the HT322. What I've noticed about the 310 is that it likes a lot of power. I drive mine with a Mackie 1400 and haven't had a problem yet. I play quite a few festivals without a problem. Actually it sounds better with the solid state amp than it does with my DB728

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    10-4 that. My Bergs sound great with my GK1001rb-II. (but I'll still not selling my Demeter!)

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The three speakers in the 4-ohm 3x10 are almost certainly not the same impedance as those in the 8 ohm 2x10. So, I kinda doubt you'll be able to upgrade... but as noted, call Jim B., he'll let ya know.

As Josh said, I wouldn't dream of upgrading the speakers in my HT310... they sound fine just the way they are.

6. low_boy

low_boy

Mar 11, 2005
    Birmingham
    Thanks everyone for the input. I may check with Jim on this, but in further thinking I believe that the $$ spent on drivers would be better placed in an auxiliary cab for bigger gigs. I agree this cab is way too good to mess around with!

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I asked Jim this same question, and he said that not only could it be done, but he recommends it (mainly because the HT310's that are out there have been around a while, and may have a lot of hours on their drivers). So far, though, I am happy with my HT310 with the older drivers. Still, if I ever blow one of the drivers, I'll probably get three new 250w 10" drivers.

Tom.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Gotta add a couple of these to my GAS list for sure!! :eek: ;) :bassist:

9. Fuzzbass

I stand corrected... thanks, Tom. Same as you, if I ever have a driver problem with either my HT210 or HT310, I'll upgrade all drivers at once. But for now, no reason to fix what ain't broken!

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I am considering adding an HT210 to the stable. Can you describe the difference you hear between the HT310 and the HT210?

11. low_boy

low_boy

Mar 11, 2005
    Birmingham
    Thanks Tom! Great information. I don't suppose Jim dropped any $$ figures on drivers?

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    $100 each

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yup.

14. Fuzzbass

Not much difference in tone, actually! The main difference is that the 310 keeps up with a loud drummer and Marshall half-stack, whereas the 210 by itself struggles. But I assume you'll be using HT210/HT115 as I do... with the right amp, that's enough for a bar gig even with no PA support.