Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT310 vs HT210S

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pickles, Jan 25, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm thinking of picking up another bergie cab to go on top of my HT115 ... I'm wondering what the sonic differences would be between the 210S and the 310. Obviously the 310 will have more bottom end (and probably be more useful as a standalone), but I'm wondering which would have smoother mids? I hope to be able to try them out at some point ...

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 310 was discontinued long ago. It was replaced by the 322. I believe a 310 is only available in the IP series.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Righto. The HT310 is also a 4 ohm cab, while the HT210S is normally sold as an 8 ohm cab (though I think that Jim can do it in a 4 ohm configuration). The HT115 is an 8 ohm cab.

But, since you asked, the HT310 is an incredibly clear, pristine sounding cab. It's high end is actually its finest characteristic, IMHO, which is why I use mine for mids/highs in our PA (though they sound great on bass, too!). It has very good low end, too, but is not as thick down low as the HT212 or HT322.

The HT210S is a somewhat more midrange focused cab, with a slightly more punchy tone. On the whole, it is still a very well balanced, clear, accurate cab. But relative to the HT310 (or HT210, for that matter), it's more midrange focused and punchy.

In truth, I think the HT210S would make a very good pairing with the HT115. But then again, so would the HT310, if you can handle the impedance mismatch. Both are good options, just a bit different.

Tom.

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

Dang, Jim is always discontinuing cool cabs ... impedence mismatch would be fine since I've got a stereo amp. But I am leaning toward the 210S to get the mid focus.

Should I be considering the 322 to go with the 115, or is a rig with 15s 12s and 10s just ... wierd? How are the mids on the 322?

If either of the 10" cabs pops up used I'll probably go for it, but I may break down and buy something new, probably the 210S.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Nevermind ... the 322 is 95lbs. I think the 210S is what I want.

Thanks for the comments guys!

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yup, that's what I would go for.

7. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I use the HT210S with an EX112S and always receive compliments from Musicians in the crowd. The HT210s with a HT115 should be a killer sound.

Good Luck :bassist:

8. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I got to play through a lot of cabs today, the 210s being one of them. I also played through the HT112, IP112, IP310, 210s+EX112, Epi UL210, and UL410. I went in there thinking I would be buying the epi Ul210, 112 or the berg HT112. I am know however the proud owner of the 210s.

9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Where did you get to play through all of those cabs? Around Dallas somewhere?

10. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I wish man, I was in Austin today for business, real nice guys there at Bass Emporium. I sat around four two hours and played alot. If you have a free Saturday, its worth the drive if you wanna hear some of that stuff. Just call ahead before you go because they are constantly turning their inventory. At the beginning of the day they had a 322, 210, HT112, EX112, IP112 and IP310. Now the first three in the list are gone.

11. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've been meaning to get down there. Now that my band just broke up yesterday (#&^@!), I'll have a little more time on my hands.
    I'm going to be changing out my amplification system. Going to go for something a little more "rock" and less "hi-fi" and have been giving the Bergs serious consideration.
    I just have to hear the new ones for myself.
    What did you think of the IP series?

12. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I like the IP and if I felt that I had the cash to blow, I would absolutely not hesitate to buy the IP112 with the EX112. And as far as wanting to go rock or hifi, it is dependent on the preamp. You can but a tube type preamp in front and get a nice rock sound, or you can put a more hifi pre and get that sound. It really can do just about anything, it just depends on what you put in front of it.

13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I own a Bergie HT112/EX112 stack. If I got the IP112, would I ever want or need my regular HT112? If I could sell it, that would help defray the cost of the IP112 which sounds like it is a very special cab.

14. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Other people should chime in here, because IANATE(I am not a tone expert)...but as long as you have a pre that you like, I would think the HT112 would not be nescesary because the IP112 sounds great at any volume.

15. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I'm thinking that I would probably love the IP112 so much that I would no longer use my HT112. But I love my HT112/EX stack so much now, it would hard to ever part with one of these magical cabinets. What a huge sounding little stack! Word is once I try the IP series, I'll be spoiled. I can hardly wait. ;-)

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I would say to keep either the EX112 or the HT112 and sell the other to defray the costs of an IP112. It probably makes the most sense to sell the HT112, as it will bring more money and you will not need a second tweeter with the IP112. Unless, however, you might use the IP112 powering the HT112 for a "mini PA" of sorts, in which case, sell the EX112.

Tom.