Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT322 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimriz, Jan 22, 2006.

1. jimriz

jimriz

Dec 28, 2004
    Hackettstown,NJ
    I've been looking into getting a tighter sounding cab for a while now, to replace my trusty SWR Triad cab, which works well but is a tad slow to respond on the B and E strings. I've been pairing the cab with an SWR SM-400, which I bought in 1989 new, back when SWR was considered boutique-y, and has served me quite well over the years. I've pretty much zeroed in on the Berg 322, and given it's 700 watt power rating, I was wondering if my 400 watt head is enough to adequately power the Berg cab. Are there any 322 owners/former owners who've used 400 watt heads with good results? I've got the budget right now for the cab, but not for a new head and cab. I don't think the IP cabs are what I'm looking for, and I did e-mail Jim Bergantino asking him his thoughts a few weeks ago, but he hasn't responded. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks, Jim

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I tried using a lower powered head with my Bergantino HT322 and it just doesn't jump like it does with more power. I don't think your 400W SWR head is enough to really get the most from the Bergantino HT322. In my experience, the power amp sections in SWR amps don't offer a lot of headroom. And I have loved and owned SWR amps in the past. (SM900, and a Workingmans 12. Great amps) I mean no disrespect. I just don't think the SWR 400 has as much power in reserve that is needed to make the Bergie HT322 perform at its best. Just my opinion. I've called and emailed with Jim Bergantino in past and he was always very responsive. Maybe with the NAMM show coming up, he was swamped, or maybe out of town. I'd try again.

I use an Ashdown ABM500 EVO and it pushes 575W @ 4 ohms and it is Stellar! It kicks butt and it nails low B string notes with authority. Very punchy. I never feel underpowered.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd say that in the (solid state) 400w head category, some are going to rise to the occassion and sound great with the HT322, but many will fall just short. A 400w Glockenklang or maybe a Thunderfunk would probably do great. The SWR, though, might be marginal.

Edit: Stepping up to 500w might help. Also, I've heard good things about MarkBass and Ashdown with Bergs.

Great cab with the right amplification, though.

Tom.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My recent experience in A/Bing my HT322 against my D-410XLT is that the Bergie is a tad power hungry. Indeed, the specs show the sensitivity of the Eden to be 106 dB versus 102 dB for the Bergie. This is assuming, of course, that they were measured in the same way.

I plugged my WW Ultra into the Bergie and played through it, then plugged it into the Eden without changing anything. The Eden was noticeably louder.

OK, all that said, I think you'll find the HT322 to be a fabulous cabinet, with great tone across the full frequency spectrum. I've played it with a DB750 on top, and it just dominates. I haven't tried putting my little WT-300 through it, but I'm sure it would sound bitchen in low to medium volume situations.

As soon as I get my sorry ass back into a gigging situation, that Bergie is going to see a lot of gig time.

5. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but has anybody tried an A/B of the Whappo, Jr. against the Berg 322? I have a DB750 and would love to know what different tones the 322 would bring into the mix as opposed to the Junior.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The fill a similar sonic niche, but each definitely has its own flavor. The main difference is going to be in the high end. The dual silk dome tweets on the Jr. lead to a very smooth and slightly relaxed high end (I normally boost the highs when I use the Jr.), whereas the highs on the Berg are more balanced from the get go. The Jr. has a feeling of being "phat" across the fingerboard, and the HT322 is a tad more precise. Both are excellent cabs, IMHO.

Tom.

7. jimriz

jimriz

Dec 28, 2004
    Hackettstown,NJ
    I guess it looks like new head time, but I'll have to go the used route in order to afford both. Does anyone know if Jim Bergantino would sell a cabinet out of his shop directly? I'm about 2 hours from NYC, where the nearest dealer is, but I travel to Mass. alot, and his shop is about 20 minutes away from where I stay. Just trying to think of a way to get one without selling the house.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Jim sells through dealers only, and he sticks to a fixed pricing system.

Tom.

9. jimriz

jimriz

Dec 28, 2004
    Hackettstown,NJ
    Hey, Tombowlus, seeing as you own almost every amp and cab made, what head in the $6-900 range(new) might be a good match for the HT322? Thanks, Jim

10. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I'm not Tombowlus, but I own a Bergantino HT322 and the Ashdown ABM500 EVO II is a Stellar match. that's what I use. I've also tried a Thunderfunk TF550 and it was also very punchy. I prefer the tone and flexibility of the Ashdown personally.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'd look to get at least 500w, and preferrably more. New, in that price range will be tough. I'd look used, if'n I were you. But, in the new category, I'd say that Ashdown is probably a leading contender. An ABM 500 will get you 575 watts, and from what I hear, they are a good tonal match. I have an Ashdown Labs MK500, which seems to have just enough power, but uses a different preamp (and goes for more than that, new). People have been saying good things about the MarkBass LMII, though it's just 500w into 4 ohm.

My first choice would be a used Walter Woods Ultra or iAMP 800. The Mesa Boogie M-2000 is a pretty stout 600 watter, though the preamp certainly takes some tweaking.

Tom.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well there you go! I should add that I agree that a TFB550 would do an admirable job driving an HT322.

Tom.

13. jimriz

jimriz

Dec 28, 2004
    Hackettstown,NJ
    Don't know too much about Ashdown stuff, the church I play at has their low-end 115 combo, which has a great power section, but crummy 15" speaker. I ended up bringing in a spare EV loaded 115 cab and bypass the Ashdown speaker. I did hear that Bergs are wattage suckers,as well. If 575 watts will cut it, I'm in. Now to find someone in the NY/NJ area whose fallen out of love with their HT322, and wants to sell it......

14. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I've used both my MarkBass LMII and my iAmp800 through the 322 and the MarkBass is actually louder, though it's only rated at 500W. The MarkBass seems to have better transient response as well. I find it an excellent pairing with the 322.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Wow! Nice to hear! I have the ancestor of the LMII, the Ernie Ball Music Man HD-500, and if the LMII carries on in the same vein, I am sure that it is a very nice unit! Question, though, has your iAMP 800 ever had its gain setup tweaked? I think that the input gain protection on some units was, well, overly protective. I know that my iAMP 800 got a lot louder after I had Gary do a tweak.

Tom.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I think there's a couple Eden WT-550s for sale in the ads right now in that price range.

17. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    No, I haven't had the gain tweaked. I have been running my Sadowsky into the passive input of the iAmp with the gain and master both set to around 2 o'clock to get the right level in my band (going out to a pair of NL210's). The same volume with the MarkBass is about 1 o'clock on the gain, 9 o'clock on the master. Knob positions can be a bit deceiving, but the MarkBass gives the feeling that there's much more in there if needed. I just can't bring myself to try turning it up much more - when it gets that loud I start getting nervous about the speakers.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I think there's a couple Eden WT-550s for sale in the ads right now in that price range.