Bergantino HT322 vs Accugroove Tri115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by namuxtree, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Its the time when I have to look for another cab and these two have peaked my interest. I'm looking for a deep, wide and clear sound (good, aggressive slap tone is a plus). I have never heard either so I need some of you guys with experience with these cabs to chime in. God bless you guys.

2. I play rock, R&B, jazz, & gospel, if that helps.

P.S. need to move on these quick so please give me a lot of info to consider!

3. keep in mind that I need to weigh all aspects of the cabs.
    95lbs vs 44lbs is already a huge disadvantage to the berg...

4. Very, very different cabs. The Tri115L is a large 115 cab, and is more warm and punchy than deep and wide, with a very relaxed top end.

The HT322 is huge down low, polite through the mid mids, and then has a very hi fi, modern uber clean upper mid through upper treble response. And, it is one of those cabs that seems to weigh even more than its actual weight. It is a bear of a cab to schlep.

If you are on a budget and buying only used, then between these two, the HT322 most likely has more of the tone you describe.

If you can wait a few weeks, and don't mind a relatively heavy cab (but lighter than the 322), the new Bergantino HD212 will be shipping.

If you see an AE212 come up used, BUY IT IMMEDIATELY:D

5. PS Your Max 6 will sound good with both of these. The Berg needs more power, but it is a 4ohm cab, versus the 8ohm Tri115L

6. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Northern California
    I haven't used any of the AccuGroove gear, but I was very interested in trying them out a few years back. Just recently I aquired a Bergantino HT322 from a friend; that I got dirt, dirt, dirt cheap. Before I was using a Epifani UL2-310 which I am selling now due to how much I love the tone of the Berg.

I use a Epifani UL-502 with the cab and I must say that the Berg is by far on of my favorite cabs I have ever heard or played through. The lows are unbelievable, but not so much that it masks all the other colors. I like an even tone across the board. The mids- and highs are so smooth and subtle that it just seems to blend so well and cuts through the mix that it makes for such a great studio sounding tone.

I play primarily jazz, and funk and the slap tone is amazing. The tone of my Warwick 4 Thumb Bolt-on is tonally at its full potential when I play through both the 502 and the HT322. The cab is a lot heavier that what I was used (53lbs to 95lbs) but it's definitely worth the weight if you want to find the right tone. I am a tone junky and always in search of the perfect tone. Great cab and great tone with an amazing head make the world of a difference.

7. Thanks KJung. I always enjoy reading your extensive insight on these forums. Wouldn't be the same without you. I'll be keeping a look out for AE212s, not sure i'm willing to haul around a 100lb cab after using <50lb cabinets for the past few years.
    Also, I'm running a Markbass F500 now. :bassist:

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    That HT322 is big and heavy, but wow, it was part of one of the best sounding bass rigs I have ever heard, which was a Sadowsky NYC P/J (not mine) into a Reed Purity Pre-amp, and a Stewart power amp, driving the Berg in a big horn-band playing a medium large room.

Killer Killer tone. Clear, clean, deep, punchy, loud, sweet, growly, slammy, and just great for finger-style or slap.

9. The weight is my main concern. I'm a tone junky myself so if it sounds that much better I'm willing to put up with the weight, but since I don't know, I need to be thorough. How was the change of moving from a cab like the epi to the berg? Do the casters make it manageable? I'm thinking of how it'll break my back putting it in and out of the car...

10. The F500 sounds particularly good with the HT322. It is a horse though. I had the modular version for a while, and that was 100 pounds on the cart, and it ended up killing me.

11. Yeah, i had an Aggie S410 that was about 100lbs that killed my back (and i'm 20!) and an GB Uber410 that was about 75lbs and even that was pretty heavy to be moving around as often as I did.
    Guess I need to be meditating in a dark corner somewhere and decide to pull the trigger on an HT322 or wait patiently and rig-less til an AE212 comes on the market. :/ Sounds like a lose-lose to me.

12. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Yeah, the HT322, is big and heavy; no doubt. But I recently purchased one as a full-range, step-down from an SVT 810, and wow.

I'm running a Markbass F1 + Ken Smith CR5, and the voicing of the cab is perfect for the slap/r&b songs of the large ensemble I play with. It is so freaking loud and (potentially) deep, yet so musical. Probably a perfect cab for gospel, yet mids are there if you want 'em; I bet the OP's F500 could bring out some quite satisfying 200 hz. The high end is beautiful: sparkling with some give. And on a big outdoor stage, the HT322 was thunderous and awesome. With a bit of effort, I can get it in and out of my Subaru's hatchback, and I'm 5'4" and 43.

To be frank, I am thinking about how I will leverage buying a second HT322. I will never be without one. I love it that much. And my band does as well.

Can't speak to the Accugroove; I'm sure it sounds great. Based on your tonal desires, you really ought to think seriously about the HT322.

13. Dude, this is killing me! You guys are tearing me in two trying to decide between an AE212 and a HT322! If only an AE212 was on the market...

14. FYI, the reason I mentioned the AE212 is that it is the neo cab from Jim's recently discontinued line that has the most in common with the HT322. Big down low, smooth in the mids, no 'upper mid spike' from the driver, and a pretty sweet tweeter (although not the uber pure, hi fi tweeter used in the old HT boxes). That would get you where you need to go, it sounds GREAT with the F500 (I have a couple of clips up on my Youtube channel of that combination), and is around 55 pounds or so.

The bad news is, I don't think many were made before that entire line was cancelled, and most who bought them aren't selling. Worth keeping your eye out for.

Another option is to look for a used Epifani 410UL (4ohm). That is also a sweet, deep, wide, smooth voicing great for the vibe you are looking at, and reasonably lightweight.

K

15. smgleitch

smgleitch

May 19, 2009
    Napoleon, OH
    I Have Kens old modular HT322. The HT112S over the HT210S. He and everyone else here is so right about how it sounds. The tone is to die for the depth and volume is tremendous!!! I would advise to get the stack I have, but they are very hard to find and I am not selling!!! I play mine with a Markbass F1 and a Warwick 4 string bolt on thumb and have never been happier with my rig. Even my wife tells me there is no way I am allowed to even think of selling it. It is just that good.

Keep in mind your situation. I have and alternate rig at the practice studio and keep the berg at home for my own enjoyment, only bringing it out for shows. My band mates are always willing to help move stuff around, and with a little help the weight really isn't that bad. I can say that I could understand weight getting in the way of a lot of cabs. I wouldn't let the weight get in the way of this one.

On final thought for you. IMHO I would buy the HT322 now and enjoy it until the new ones come out, or used AE212's start becoming available. I would bet you that once you own it it you wont want to get rid of it. You can pick these up for a good price, but it will still be worth that in a year. Not a lot of risk in buying high quality gear. Someone is always looking for a berg and they don't come up to often.

16. I'm glad you are still happily rocking that rig. Beautiful sounding rig. I think that 's' stack would have been much more popular if Jim had marketed it as a 'modular HT322', which is what it is. I don't think people quite knew what it was, since the cabs were listed separately on the website, and not as a modular unit.

Anyway, good to hear from you and see you on the site!

17. Or you can sell me your Berg AE212. ;]

Really? I wasn't expecting an Epi recommendation. I've owned a 212 epi UL2 that started buzzing its cones out. What's your opinion on the Epi 410UL2? Any difference from the 1 series? Does it bother you that Epi's are now made in china? (they are, right?)
    Thanks in advance! :]

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

My US-made 410UL S1 4 ohm cab is all that, and ~56 lbs. - I can carry it one-handed.

+1
    I have two words for you: hand-truck & weight-training. :bassist: :D :D

19. I would not personally purchase an Epifani cab new these days for quite a number of reasons.

However, the 410UL is vastly superior to the 212UL... just as big down low, but much more midrange character and punch (more with the older S1 than the smoother S2). Actually, the more resent S2 is more like the HT322, with that very smooth, 'peakless' midrange.

If you could find an older, used S2 that was still the US made lower weight model (54 pounds) in 4ohm, that would be pretty killer with the F500. Otherwise, I would probably not bother with any other model, or even a new 410UL at this point.

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    +1
    Not sure about the newer stuff Nick makes, but my 8 ohm NYC t-210, UL S1 210, and 4 ohm UL S1 410 are all older US cabs, and I think they are great. They are what put out the GAS-well fire I had for an HT322. :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021