Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino HT322 vs. EX112S/HT210S Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Jul 12, 2005.

1. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I want to buy an HT322 but I've read several posts about the EX112S/HT210S stack. I've played on an HT322 but won't be able to try the stack. Other than portability, what's the difference between the two?

2. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    This is a great question, I would love to know also.

Or, we could just ask Jim.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have spoken to Jim about this very issue, and he said that the two would sound fairly similar. I think that the "S stack" might sound a little more deep, overall. [Edit: sounds like I had that backwards. The HT322 is more deep; the S stack is more punchy.]

Unfortunately, I do not recall all that Jim mentioned, but I do recall that overall, the sounds were very similar. Give him a call for more details. He is very nice to talk to.

Tom.

4. I've had the HT322 and it's a great cab... should have kept it but sold it before having the power I have now which I'm sure would have made a big dif... anyway.

I want to address a "Portability" issue. There are different types of portability. Some folks live in the city and use public transportation. Some play for a living and climbs stairs all the time etc. My type: I have a van and one level home, I don't play professionally and most of my gigs are easy moves and I have assistance most of the time. I've got both small and large cabs, light and heavy amps. I've gone just about every route you can think of going from big to small and back. For me right now a big single cab w/casters is working out the best. I've come to the conclusion that it's easier to make a few lifts into the back of my van and roll the rest of the way using the cab as a dolly for other stuff too rather than making many extra trips, lifts, carries with and without a dolly which also has to be taken and moved and stored.... The downside of big cabs is taking a lot of space on the stage and weight. Of couse there are many configurations and one could install caster on just about anything.

I will say the S-cabs from Berg are very shallow only being about 11" deep which would be awesome for extra space.

2 cents.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The HT322 is an extraordinarily focused-sounding cab. When properly EQ'd for the room, it's on the VERY short list of best single-cab solutions you can buy. It's also a great cab for outdoor gigs as it tends to have a nice long throw without loss of punch.

Unfortunately, I've yet to try out any of the new "S" cabs. But in general, if Jim B. made it, there's a very good chance it's state-of-the-art.

6. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    Jim just called me back. He was a pleasure to talk to and even gave me recommendations on power amps. Anyway, according to Jim, the stack is a punchier version and more aggressive in the mids. However, he also said that you can dial that in with the HT322 as well, but the HT322 will give a deeper, rounder tone and is less punchy.

I don't think I could go wrong with either setup, but it sounds like the HT322 will work better for the styles of music I play.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Punchier with more aggressive mids sounds good to me (YMMV).

The HT322 has a very polite and tube-ish midrange -- beautiful for solo work (or if you do a whole lot of slap/pop work), but I do love punchy.

Sounds like the 'S' stack would work very good in most live band mixes. I need to check them out!

Thanks for the update.

8. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I have one of the new Bergantino 2x10s and it is by far one of the best cabs I've played through. I'll give you a few reasons:

1. It's super thin and light! This cab is so easy to carry.

2. It can handle 500 watts at 8 ohms

3. It has a Incredibly clear and punchy sound. It handles the low B very well and it doesn't color my sound.

I plan on getting either a 1x12 or a 1x15 soon.

Andrew

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The HT322 is one bad mother. There are days that I really wrestle with trading my NV610 on one (though I can never quite bring myself to do it).

10. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I've played through the HT322 a few times and it blew me away. I bought the stack solely because it would offer me the sound with two lighter weight cabs. I think if you like one, you'd like the other. I guess if I had to say the difference (never had a chance to ab them side by side) maybe the stack has a little punchier and focused midrange. The HT322 might have a little more low end being a deeper, bigger cab. Keep in mind what you are putting on top of it, because the stack only 11.5" deep.

11. FYI.... to all you Berg fans...there's a pretty detailed (and positive) review of a couple of Berg cabs (including the 'thin' 210 discussed in this thread) in the new Bass Player Magazine.

The only comment I would have on the stack is that, even though the cabs are thin, the combined weight of that stack is well over 100 pounds! That seems pretty heavy to me!

12. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    To me, it doesn't matter if the weight in total is 100 lbs or slightly more if they are both easy to carry by themselves. I can make 2 trips for sound this good. The whole point is, that 45 and 55 lbs each won't break my back going up a staircase, but 130 lbs is more likely to be a pain. Plus, I own a car not a van or truck. It's much easier loading the 2 cabs in my car than say a larger cab.

Andrew

13. Good point! I'm a fanatic about making a single trip in and out... but I'm a freelance one-nighter guy, so my situation is probably different than others.

The Berg's sound great... but make sure to try the EpifaniUL's also.... the 410UL is under 60 (!) pounds and really puts out the booty. The 310 is so light (under 50 pounds!!!) that it's almost funny (and it fits in any back seat).

14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I own an HT322 and it is without question the single best 'one-cab-does-it-all' bass cabinet I've ever owned. I've used it for quiet jazz gigs where mids were so sweet as well as loud outdoor gigs without PA support. It does have more low-end grunt with a deep round bloom compared to my Mini-Bergie HT112/EX112 stack.

For those who like to roll in on casters, I purchased a flat, carpeted platform on Casters from Carvin. I roll in my Mini-Bergie HT/EX112 stack with a gig bag on top. I leave the cabinets on the rolling platform too so it's easy to get behind to run cables etc. I'm sure you could do the same with the 210/112S stack.

Gary