1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergantino IP112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tomshepp, Jun 28, 2007.

1. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I've been using this cab along with the Ex112 when the room is big enough. Always with my Sadowsky modern 5. With a high energy dance band. But last night, I tried it with my big band and an old jazz bass with flats. What a great sound I got. Full, rich, upright-like and articulate. Using just a simple mic pre really let the sound of the instrument come through. I could get lots of different tones from blending the two pups just like you should from a jazz. I think the cab is what made the difference. Just thought I'd share.
    Cheers!

2. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1

Well put! I use the the IP112/EX112 as well and have had the same experience. Having tied a number of pre's, I like the 'simple is better' approach as well. My current favorite is a Summit TD-100.

Peace,
    Matt

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's a killer rig. I'm glad it's working out for you! :)

Tom.

4. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I've been a little afraid, but I think I'll try it with the upright next.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ooooh, I just love the IP112 with upright. :D

6. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I just ordered an IP/HT stack! And am obviously shaking in my pants with excitment! :hyper:

I do want to buy a tube pre for it, and was thinking TD-100 re-tubed with a Brimar or Mullard. Seems some TBer's are having difficulties with the TD-100 as a front end with the IP!?! (input sensitivity of the IP?) You guys seem to love it. :smug:

What's the deal? I'm not that great at understanding technical specs, I just let my ears decide ;)

Also, would a Summit 2BA-221 work well with the IP? It's much more versatile for my recording needs, and has the same tube pre I think.

Thanks.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Get the Summit with the Berg mod. Jive1 sells them and has terrific service. Jivesound.com

8. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I can't find the product on their website. Maybe I'll email them for more info. Thanks

9. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    The berg Mod is resistors on the 1/4 TRS output on the TD 100 to Attenuate the output signal.the same can be done with a Inline Attenuator.I use a Millennia STT-1 and use a Switchable Inline Attenuator from Audio Techica that is switchable from -10,-20 and -30 dbs.It is sent on -10 db and the STT-1 send a perfect signal to my IP 112!

10. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

So a -10 Db signal is optimal for Ip input? Is'nt that line level?

Having said that, wouldn't the 2BA-221 mic-line driver be a great match to the IP ? I beleive it's similar to the TD-1 (millenia) in that, it has Tube/SolidState blend (twin topology), with multiple ins and outs switchable from +4/-10 db. It's basically a TD-100 with expanded features and more versatility.

I could be wrong...:confused: has anyone used this unit with an IP cab?

here's the link:

http://www.summitaudio.com/2ba-221-mic-line-module.htm

11. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Line Level is considered +4 and Instrument level is -10.I think optimal input for the bergs is like -3db.With the Inline at -10 it make it about -6 db signal ao it is not as hot a signal to cause the IP to clip.If you are using the TD-1 with a -10 signal you will more than likely have to raise the volume on the TD-1 to get the volume you need out of the IP?

12. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I just got an email from Paul at Summit audio in regards to both the TD-100/2BA-221 stating:

Quote:

"The 2BA-221 could work very well in the applications you mention
    below (bass vocal, guitar, in-line track), but the tone of the unit is not the same as the TD-100, the circuitry is different. That being said, I do know bassists whom are using the 2BA-221 to great success, so the tone could be very complimentary, but it's just not identical to the TD-100."

"I've used both (of course) and I have to say, I REALLY like the
    2BA-221 on bass as well, and of course the ability to use it for
    recording your vocals and guitar as well is a huge advantage.
    With the completely variable tube output, you can always match the
    levels your amp requires, so no modifications to the circuitry is
    necessary."

Maybe I sould take one for the team, and give this one a try for us Berg users :smug:

I plan to use it for warming up tracks, vocals, guitar etc, but primarily as a front end to my Bergies. The tone could'nt be THAT different from the TD-100... could it? :meh: I'wish I could just A/B them both.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Check over on the upright side. Some one didn't like it. It could be great. The variable high pass which we IP users think we may need is only on the mic side. :bawl: Having an input gain and an output gain is really nice. The Summit gear is so well designed and so tasty sounding this has to be good. Now Paul did say it sounds different then the TD-100. Different could be a different shade of great.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I really liked the IP112 for DB when I got to try Tom's for a minute. For the sound i go for I'd need a HP filter to go with it, but when we had a shootout in Columbus a year or so ago, it was my third favorite cab out of about 20, trailing only the EA VL208 (not really fair, since it's mine and I'm used to it) anda Glockenklang 1x12 I'd never heard of before. With a HP filter it would only be better, but as it is it's very, VERY good for DB.

15. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    i've heard plenty of mention using sadowskys with the IP's, and as i have the outboard pre/di, would this match up any differently with say the 112? also, compared to the pre's mentioned above, how hot of a signal would the sadowsky pre feed into the ip???

16. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I have talked with Joel from Millennia and also Jim B manytimes before and just today also.There are a lot of pres that will work fine with the IP's.Jim has made the sensitivity ofthe IP fairly sensitve because some of the older pres did not have a very hot signal coming from them is one of the reasons he explained to me.Also some of the new pres out there have too strong of a signal and cause the IP's to clip fairly easily.What I was told by Jim is have the IP volume about 12 o'clock on the dial and run your pre the way you normally would but remember he state to start with ALL EQ's flat.If you get the volume you want and IP is not Clipping which you will able to tell by the Clip light on the back and if you hear any clipping you preamp is send too strong of a signal and signal will need to be cut back.This is what is going on with the Summit TD 100.But what he explained to me is in order to drive the tube front end on the Summits properly the gain need to be raise to do so but it was too much for the IP 's to work properly so people where turning down the TD 100 and did not haver the tone or the Volume they thought was proper.So what was done by Jim talking with Summit they came up with what was called a Berg Mod which attenuated the signal out of the TRS signal the drive the IP's the way it should be.I use a Millennia STT-1 and use a Inline attenuator set at -10 db's and it is perfect to drive my IP 112.So all you can do is try and see how it will work for you with your Pre!Avtually if you call Jim he can give you more info on what Iam talking about.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021