1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergantino IP310 with my Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Looking at these things (never played one).

Running currently the new SWR Preamp into a 2600 watt Poweramp into the new G IV 4X10 an impressive rig no doubt.

The IP would make the rig smaller yet at 1,000 watts maybe not too small.

I have seen some threads over the EQ curve in the IP Amp that some folks didnt like. Couldnt see why the SWR EQ section couldnt run circles around that. Much more arse than say a 3x10 and a Shuttle but still smaller.

Just thinking out loud. No cash, not planning on running out and doing something. Setting here still trying to get over my spinal surgery and got to Talk about some Gear.
    :D

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Someone will try it. My experience is that you hear your pre through an IP. I auditioned a GrandPrix through the IP310 and it sounded like an SWR. I A/Bed it with the Dem and the IP sounded like the Dem. The IPs "curve" or whatever makes it sound balanced across the audio spectrum. The thing I got from listening to them is that actually they just sound good. If you like it or don't it's personal preference. Just like any cabs.
    The IP310 is surprisingly compact and kicks it outside without sound reinforcement. I have never heard one cab do what this does.
    May you heal well my friend.

3. Per Chadds comments, if you like the sound of the IP310 or not, that's personal taste, but as far as volume, it is just stunning, and will totally spank your GIV with any amount of wattage. The volume and deep, clear low end the IP310 puts out is just something (I assume at least partially due to the compession and limiting from the DSP circuitry). It's a relatively small (thin depth) and relatively heavy (I believe around 90 pounds) cab, but volume will not be an issue. So, about the same weight as your GIV, but smaller and thinner depth... nice!

I again can't quite come to terms with all those upper mids coming out of that metal horn versus paper cone mid speaker or driver, but that's just personal taste. It is a pure, wide, pristine sounding cab, and just shockingly loud.

I am quite unimpressed with the IP112, but the 310 is completely killer if you don't mind the weight and dig the 'preamp through front of house' type voicing.

I hope your recovery goes well.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thamx guys for some interesting responses here. Definately food for thought. I may have to try one of these out. Best I remember the IP was a few pounds lighter than my GIV and when you subtract my 26 pound Poweramp that is a load.

So slightly lighter cab, no power amp, and only the MM in a small rack to contend with. That is a very interesting proposition to think about.

I know these days there are a gazzillion ways we can go with our Bass Gear no doubt.

On the spechs of the IP310 it list 1,000 watts @ 4ohms but does that mean the speakers are running the 4 ohms? It is a little sketchy reading from here.

How are the speakers indeed wired? Two 16's parallel, one 8 paralleded with that?

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The IP is 86 lbs. I use a dolly with big wheels that crosses most terrain and climbs steps. I can tilt it into the back of a car or wagon or suv from this dolly. Barely picking it up. I used it all the time with my two GIIIs.

Imagine two pipes parallel 2.5 -3 ft long. Two wood planks across the ends. Covered in carpet, then with a Welcome mat cut in half stapled around the carpet between the pipes. Axles extend down and have 10" handtruck alloy wheels with grease fittings. They do not swivel. This bad boy will climb steps, cross grass, rough ground and flagstone set in grass walkways. The Welcome mat is part of the secret as it sticks to the side of pianos and certainly to the side of a carpeted cab. So you lean it against the cab push the cab over on it and it's now laying on the dolly. Some rental places have them. I actually bought one from such a place. Will support a 9 ft. Steinway or Upright so it can handle our girly man cabinets.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Cool. I carry my Gear in the back seat of my Quad Door 07 F-350 Super Duty. :p:bassist::hyper::D

Played today for the fisrt time after my spinal sugery. Everything went great!

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    After that description of my dolly I hope you understand that as good as it is I do have to use a car or truck as supplementary transportation.:) The dolly doesn't have turn signals.

8. I believe they are three 12ohm speakers. So, it's a true 4ohms with each speaker getting the same power.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Cool.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    if by new "SWR preamp", you're referring to the marcus miller pre, then YES, the ip310 is amazing.

i was first hooked on the marcus pre while running thru the ip310, and the tones were glorious w/ my sadowsky. would make for an amazingly versatile, punchy rig.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yes I am refering to the Marcus Miller M2 Preamp. Sorry if I didnt make that clear.