1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bergantino/New Amp Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeluch, Mar 17, 2013.

1. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    I know that there is some great info on the below subject in various places, but I am looking for some help in chosing a new amp to pair with my two Berg AE112(B) and/or my Berg AE210 vertical.
    I do not want to change cabs (except maybe a CN212;)) but am looking to mix it up from my present GB SL900 (sometimes too pillowy) and my TH500 (sometimes too aggressive). I had a GK MB 800 but had some issues with it. (another story)

Anyway, I was looking at either a GB Shuttle 6.2 or 9.2(had a 6.0 and it seemed to lack lows) or a MarkBass LM3 or Big Bang. I do not have access to try these heads so I am looking for the experts (Ken are you there) to provide some guidance. I plan on keeping the present GB and TH but just looking for something that will work with the Bergs for mostly classic rock fingerstyle playing and might fit somewhere in the middle of the SL900 and TH500.
    If you tell me I am nuts and should just work with the present setup, I am OK with that too!:oops:

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I have a Bergie 1x12 and use a Shuttle6.0 on top, and the whole thing is elevated on an amp rack. I am using it only as a stage monitor, and occasionally a semi-acoustic gig. Honestly, though, I would think you could dial in a tone that you are happy with using your existing equipment. Just my two cents.

3. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I'd say get a ThunderFunk 550 or 750-800, those amps are somewhat in the middle between the Streamliner and the Tone Hammer, I tried the SL900 for a week and sent it back, then I aquired the Thunderfunk 500 and later I aquired the TH500, I like the agressiveness of the TH, ...but the ThunderFunk has that rich smooth tone, and you have the ability to tune the amp to the room, with the timbre/enhance and the parametric controls ..... don't have your cabinets so I'm basing my experience with the Berg HS410 & NV610 & a Schroeder 1210 cabinets ... all this is just my opinion

4. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. After reading the Berg CN212 thread, it sounds like maybe the CN 212 will be a good fit for either of these heads, so I might look at that option

5. Mike,

If you decide to change cabs I would love a chance at the 210-Verticle, should you decide to part with it. No low-ball offers or any B.S. Please P.M. me should that come to pass.

I'm in process of hunting down a good 210 or 12 to take care of rehearsal and small/mid size when I don't need to bring the NV610 out of the trailer. Considering Aggie's or Bergs since I've had such great experience with my NV610. Just sold off a bunch of original SWR stuff and other misc.

Thanks and best wishes. I'm picking up a TH500 this week so been reading on GB shuttle and streamliners as well. I.e. how I found this post.