Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino NV-425 users??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Aug 18, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I saw this "new" combination of speaker configs in BP a few months back, and was really curious about it. I really like the sound of 15's, but at times they're too boomy and don't really respond like you'd want them to, but have heard the Berg's don't exactly fit into that stereotype.

Granted I LOVE my Schro 1210 for a smaller cab, but I'm looking at more options now when I'm looking ahead to add one do-it-all larger cab. And the Berg's have really caught my eye. Especially with one offering a 3x10+1x15 setup!! :bassist: And at only 95lbs. I believe it is, that ain't too shabby!

But what do the Berg's really perform well at doing? The Schro's claim to fame (IMHO) is they're lightweight, powerful, stay punchy at high volumes, and have a great mid sound (at least for my model). This isn't to say I won't get a 410 or something from Jorg, but jus weighing options, and having different setups ain't a bad way to go!

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Very old school sounding but with a modern edge. They are sealed so not as loud as other ported cabs but sure loud enough.

With the right head, they can sound very nice and warm. The particularly enjoy tfunk's , all tube heads and the ashdown abm series.

Here's my rig, tons of vintage vibe to it:

[​IMG]

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Hmm, I'm not a total "vintage sound" kind of guy, but I wonder with my Dem pre and active basses if it'd open up or not a little bit more for me. I'm thinking of using this and my pre/power setup for the medium/larger gigs, then adding an Eden WT550 or something to my Schro for mini-gigs. I play Spector (and eventually Modulus) basses- you think they'd still keep their high/mids sheen with this cab?

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you want a more modern sounding cab with a big bottom and plenty of volume than you should look into the Berg HT322. That's my favorite cab for sure.

5. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    We obvioulsy are at different ends of the spectrum here. Mids and high are retained quite well in the cab, I think it would be even cooler if there was a way to change one of the 10's into a 12. That would be sweet!

The NV series aren't nearly as power thirsty as the HT series but if you have enough juice, a 322 might be the way to go for you.

6. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    We both suggested the 322 at the same time... I think we are onto something here! :)

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :D

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah I've seen the 322 as well and it looks killer, 'cept it's awfully heavy for such a small cab! :) I'll definitely need to take a drive over to whichever Texas music store is closer (Austin or Houston) when I decide to get one, and see which really suits me. I was just looking for a bigger, do-it-all cab instead of having to bring two, and I actually like to hear my cab over just "feeling it", which isn't always easy at close proximities, which is why the bigger 425 caught my eye. With the 322, I'd still have to get a little amp riser or something like I need to get with my Schro. Ah wells. :)

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think you may actually prefer the tone of the NV215. It has more extended and open high frequency range (courtesy of the 6" midrange), a tad more depth to the tone, and more balanced midrange. In truth, I feel as is this cab is very balanced and accurate across its tonal range. And it is tight as can be! Being a sealed cab, the drivers are not prone to over-excursion, and you can really thump on a lob B with great clarity. The NV215 is not muddy in any sense. It pairs up well with both tube and ss power amps. Here is shot of mine with my V8:

[​IMG]

But again, judging from your desire for a "non-vintage" more "open" tone, I think that the NV215 might be more up your alley. The HT322 is also a great cab. I have two of the HT310's, and an HT310 vs NV215 would be an interesting shootout... :p I have compared the NV215 to both my El Whappo and Whappo, Jr., and to my surprise, these cabs are definitely in the same ballpark, with the Accugrooves having just a tad more brightness (as you'd expect from the tweeters), but the Berg being the tightest of the group.

With regard to the 425 in particular, I did get to hear one down at Bass Emporium, and it sounded a lot like the NV610 (midrange punch/cut like crazy!), but with a deeper low end and a more full sound. Not as deep (nor as bright) as the 215, though.

Hope this helps, Tom.

10. completely off topic... you have sweet gear, and i'm sure amazing tone... so why did you mic it with an sm57 pointing straight down!?

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Another +1 for the NV215. GREAT cab & Jim is tops in customer service, phenemonal man...

cheers,
    ~S~

PS: Get the 215 before they're "gone"...

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Awesome! I'd actually read some stuff about the NV-215 and absolutely loved my Mesa Diesel 2x15 when I had it, so that might not be a bad look. Can the cab handle it as a only-one-on-stage config, say vs. a Mesa Triple Rec + 412 and the like? Just wanna make sure it'll hold up...

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I emailed Jim for his oppion on which of his cabs would be best for my bassman 135. He said the 6x10, and not the 2x15! What do you guys think.....6x10 or 2x15?

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    LOL! Good eye! That 57 is hanging down in front of one of my Azola Super Wizzies, and that rig is my "rhythm guitar" rig (octave up, overdriven signal from my UniBass). We were going to mic it, but then we needed that channel for something else, so we didn't use that mic. Rest assured, if I had that in the mix, I would have put the mic on a stand (but I do stand by the choice of an SM57 for the "rhythm guitar" rig - it works great for this purpose).

Tom.

15. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Jim is a genius. I'd go with his recco every time.

My guess is you'll get a bigger sound from your (fantastic) 135 watt amp with the NV610.

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Before they are gone?? :meh:

17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, if you like the tone of your Schroe 1210, I recomend a 21012 or 410. The Berg 610 is often compared to a Ampeg classic 8x10 and gives that real vintage sound (from what i've heard) and this, as you said, isn't really what your after.
    Definently try before you buy though.

18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I used one on a gig

I loved it! I'm Buying one!Honestly I was Floored!

AJ :cool:

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The cab rolls off the highest frequencies that you are used to hearing. I have the NV 610 and find that with my DB 680/QSC amp flat, it naturally sounds "vintagey". But, once I flick that high switch on the pre it sounds more modern. Not quite like a cab with tweeter though. The Demeter has plenty of ultra high EQ so it may work for you.

I love the NV cabs but I also love modern tweetered cabs too thats why I have both. Truly the more I use the NV 610 the more I like it. I only miss the tweeter when slapping but I dont do that much.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Yeah I'm definitely gonna. It's just that now that Schroeder has moved up into that "Next" price range, I was considering some cabs that I know still rawk but were price comparable.

But the more I look into it, and read, they really do have a "vintage" vibe, which is the last thing I really want outta my sound. Maybe the 215+6 would work out, though.... Or just a Schro 410... :D