Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino NV series question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZoomBoy, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Okay now. I've searched and I'm 99.99% sure that I'm going to purchase an NV series cab but which one? I'm calling on all you Talkbass NV owners out there to give me your two cents. I'm leaning towards the 215 (Bass Player recently printed a very favorable review of this cab) but I'm still very curious about the 610 and the 425. Bass Player seemed kinda lukewarm about the 610 and is the 425 the sweet sounding mutant offspring of the 215 and 610? Help! I'm a BIG fan of the overdriven tube tone ala SVT but I do like fat, warm tones as well.

I pretty much play straight ahead rock/bluesy stuff. I don't slap much if at all. I usually play a Pbass (fingerstyle or with a pick depending on the tune/tone) through a Peavey Classic 400 (2 channels, 400 watts and all tube) which will be the powerplant for the Bergie.

Thanks in advance!
    Jeff

2. I'd call Rock City Guitars. They were very helpful when I had some questions about Berg Cabs. If you could, you could try for yourself and see. I've been leaning toward the 425 but I've never tried any NV series either. Let us know how it turns out.

BTW I have no affiliation with them, just thought I'd pass on a good experience.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have the 610, have played the 425 and have not played the 215. The preamps Ive tried with this cab is: ashdown rpm, aguilar db680, trace elliot smx, ampeg svp-cl, svp-pro, eden nav. The 610 does low, fat and thick very well. It will also do the high end nice, just a different type. The different preamps all show there voice very well, better than a lot of cabs Ive tried, but it does keep its sig tone. The 425 seemed to do the same thing just bigger on the low end. These cabs stay tight when you want them to but can open up if you eq them that way. The ashdown did the best at this. With the music you listed, I would say the nv cabs would be my first choice. Between the 610 and 425, that is a tough call... the 610, but I like tens.On a side note, I would love to have the 215 to go with the 610. :bassist:

one more thing, both the 610 and 425 do very well with a 5 string. Dont let the specs fool ya.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Absolutely true. I play 5-string exclusively, and the NV610 gives me punch and growl over its entire range.

I've never heard the 425 or 215, but I'm so happy with the 610 I'm not even curious.

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I agree with this 100%. I'd love to have one of each, but the nv610's a keeper.

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I don't have any experience with any of the cabs but based on looks and specs and reviews I would get the 215.

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    but arent you curious about a 610/215 stack. ;)
    sorry, just trying to give ya gas.... whoo hahaha. :p

8. I have a NV-215 and it's a great complement to a Mesa 400+ and a P-5.

I only wish I had more opportunities to play it outdoors or in a big enough room to feel the thunder.

Aloha,

Jonathan

9. Thanks for the replies. I'm planning on visiting Rock City in the next week or so.... I'll play each one then and make a choice.

Keep the info coming!

10. I've got an NV610 and it's great cab and easy to move for a bigger type cab. It's profile is excellent and space saving too. I use it with my WWU or my Demeter 201s and Crest CA9 rigs. Both sound great and especially the Crest/Dem rig.
    I've heard the Berg HT series don't sound that great coupled with the NV series, but I've experimented a bit and found that when I want a little extra hearing power and a little tweeter action, I can place my single HT112 on top of my Crest/Dem rig and "oh Momma!"
    It's nice because the 112 acts a monitor of sorts and I can keep the volumn low enough that I can just hear it. I have not tested this on a big outside venue yet but you can bet I will next season. :bassist:

11. Here's a post I made in a previous thread about the NV cabs...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131158&page=1&pp=20

12. I own an NV-610 but I can't say much that Fuzzbass, Inazone and Bassment Zombie haven't said already. It's really a great cab. Very tight, punchy and articulate, smooth top end. It sits in the mix just so. I've had a lot of other players and sound engineers comment on being able to hear every note I play (not sure if I really want that :eyebrow: :p ) but that it's never overbearing or never seems too loud.

That being said, I'm sure the other two NV cabs are killer as well. I'd love to add a 215 to my rig.....:D

Here's a GAS inducer pic:

[​IMG]

13. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Heh... and another.
    [​IMG]

14. And here's mine. Thumbs up!

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Can somebody post a pic of a Mesa 400+ on top of one of those. I

I dont think I have enough GAS yet.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You b*st*rd. :) Sure, I'd love a 610/215 stack... don't exactly know where I'd USE it, but it would be cool to have.

Actually, the GAS I have now comes from looking at Mark's SVT/NV610 rig... THAT would be my dream stack!

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    hey funky. I'll bet that NV610 with the creamy, rich, warm goodness of the Ashdown is quite an impressive rig! Nice!