1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bergantino NV115

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by KJung, Oct 7, 2013.

1. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I didn't see a dedicated thread for this cab, or the current line-up of NV's, so I thought I'd start one, since I just got the cab from Greg (thanks... and the cover arrived today as promised... thanks again). There is a 'discontinued NV thread' here, but that seemed like a bit of a different discussion!

So, I guess the NV412, the NV115 and a limited run of the 'Greg Special NV610T':D now comprise the NV line-up, if I have that correct.

Here is a link to my review and a few pic's in the general Bergantino Mega-Thread, if anyone is interested. And, maybe those who have one of these cabs coming can use this thread to post their impressions for Greg's customers, etc.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/club-bergantino-part-5-a-1000582/index11.html#post14962254

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Low end opened up a bit over a day of playing the NV115. What a great little box. Really dig it for what it does... that vintage sealed enclose round, warm, immediate low end, combined with a beautiful, natural top end that is more extended than the typical 115 cab (along with the upper midrange dispersion advantage).

Very impressive cab, and one of the most beautiful looking and perfectly built boxes I have come across.

If you are a 4 string P Bass guy, I don't think there is anything better currently on the market (or at any time) IMO. Sounds good with lots of other basses also but it is definitely the 'thing' for a classic, passive 4 string P IMO, or a 60's J with flats or nickels, etc.

Again, more detail in the link above if anyone is interested.

3. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm glad you're digging it, Ken! It is a killer little cab that sounds mighty big.

Only one minor correction - the NV-412 is sadly no more. I asked Jim about the possibility of making a few of the 412 cabs with a tweeter while he was planning this upcoming run of NV-610T cabs... but he doesn't have any 12" woofers left that he needs to use up, so that was a no-go. The NV series will now consist of just the NV-115 and the NV-610T, and the NV-610T is a short-term thing (just 24 cabs in the production run, then it's done).

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Didn't realize the NV412 was also gone now.

I guess two NV115's would give the 'vintage fans' just about anything they could want in a nice modular, reasonably lightweight package.

I would think that 24 cab production run will sell pretty nicely. That is a unique configuration!

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Have you tried it with your Roscoe?

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I have. Surely doesn't sound 'bad', but to me, the Roscoe (at least my Bart loaded 'classic' type of Roscoe configuration) is almost the definition of 'modern tone'. The CN212 sound so, so, so good with that bass that I have no interest in the more vintage response of the NV115 with it. That huge low end and pingy hi fi upper treble of the Bart equipped Roscoe basses is made for a ported cab with a well voiced tweeter IMO and IME.

Of course, with the now available Roscoe P and PJ, etc., that would be a different story.

IMO there.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Thanks. I go from P bass to J bass to my Roscoe all the time. :D

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yeah, I tell you what, it is quite something to go from that flat radius, shallow neck, 35" scale, 24 fret, 18.3mm active/dual modern Bart pickup Roscoe to my relatively low radius, fat chunky neck, 34" scale 21 fret, 19mm, passive Nordy P Bass.

Pretty much different universes. Love them both very much, but it takes a good hour of playing for me to adjust to those substantial differences! Kind of fun, I play quite differently on each of them.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hitting the NV115 pretty hard in the first few days of owning it. One thing is clear, it is not really the best choice for a 5 string bass... just rolls off to quickly at too high of a frequency for me. Sounds GREAT through the range of the 4 string, which makes sense, given that it is vibing a more vintage, classic tone.

Very warm, round, punchy if not particularly deep voicing. Fun 'specialty cab' for me.

10. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego