1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergantino NV215 mid driver?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrew, Sep 16, 2008.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Hi,
    Can someone explain how the mid driver in the NV215 differs from a tweeter? I'm assuming it goes lower than a tweeter, but does it go as high?

How do you set it? If it isn't as high/bright sounding as a tweeter does it sound bad when it's turned all the way up? Where do you NV215 owners set your mid driver?

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i hate tweeters but really like the mid driver on the NV215. it doesn't go as high as a normal tweeter - it tops out at around 7kHz or so. it sounds very natural, not harsh/metallic, and is very well integrated into the overall voice of the cab. it has an attenuator but i leave mine all the way up (full on).

3. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Yep - IMHO it adds genuine treble - not snap, crackle clickity, click, f****** click.....................I don't like tweeters either :eyebrow:

It's also really, really good when you add some OD unlike tweeters.

Great great all around cab, it's pipped the 610 as my all time fave.

Frosty.

4. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    BTW mines all the way up - which isn't where I expected to run it, but it's soooo natural it sounds like great full range bass cab completely unattenuated.

Frosty.

5. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Best cab on the market period!

6. Ahhhh. I see Thanks Jim, & thanks for the great cabs. Also thanks for the set of casters I got from you thru BASSGEARDIRECT in Aus!!!! Both my NV cabs are going great & now the NV610 is also going great across the floor!!:D

Re the NV215 Hi freq driver. I run mine at about 12 oclock. sometimes off & sometimes full(flat) -but mostly straight up @ 12 oclock. Sounmds great- while not as hi or 'nasty' as a tweeter;) Sounds awesome with overdrive also!!!! I think I like the NV215 a touch better than my NV610 also! Both great, but I've always liked the roundness of 15's.

Rod.

7. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario

Sorry I knew that - just didn't describe it very well, by saying "unattenuated" - I meant flat and that's were I play it...... which surprised me at first after having completly turned down tweeters for the last 15 years.....

It's a great cab, great mid range driver and all around floats my boat.

Thanks Jim.

8. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Well, I feel like an idiot! I got my NV215 used from a buddy, and never noticed an attenuator. It's an older one.... have they always had 'em? My other cab (non-Berg) has two: 1 for tweeter, and 1 for mid. I have noticed that the tweeter is where you get a lot of the finger squeaks and fret buzz noise. So, I keep it turned down somewhat. OTOH, I HAVE noticed that a tweeter adds a lot to my distorted sound, good or bad is a matter of opinion.

Anyways, I love my NV215.

9. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    The older ones didn't have attenuators......I think this is something that we have to thank Jim and Tom Bowlus for:)

10. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    aaa1096.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You are welcome. :cool:

12. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Anybody try the NV215 with a AE410 ? :)

13. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    I have. Wasn't a big fan. I wound up selling the AE410 and just adding another NV215

14. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    No I havent - but I always wondered about this combo and another NV215 and HS410 :confused:

15. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks Joe. I just got AE410 on Monday and need to gig it before adding anything, if at all. I got it to do the lighter stand alone thing. I've only got room to haul one cab most of the time and it can't be any bigger than the AE410 profile which I think is perfect anyway. Sorry you didn't dig it that much.

Got more ink huh? Guess you got it 'covered' :D

16. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Too funny bro. If anything...if you dig the ae410 and want to add another cab get a ae210. That setup would be great for you

17. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Yeah, but that's just too many tens for my taste. If Jim ever designs a companion cab for the AE410 I might consider that. That is, beside the current AE210 or additional AE410 that I'm quite sure just kills. As I said I got the AE410 as a stand alone for 99% of my gigs that will fit in my car.

All I can say in spirit if this thread is I LOVE the NV215!
    One of my all time favorite cabs for sure. Bigredsix has a tolex one for sale on the classifieds that's just haunting me.