1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bergantino NV412 - Not Great?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jimmy Bob, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Jimmy Bob

Jimmy Bob

Jul 1, 2012
    Hey
    I play an Fender Jazz V and a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 through an SVT-VR with a Berg NV412. I've only bought the Berg online recently and it really seems to me like it's very boomy and not at all a nice punchy focused sound like an Ampeg 6x10 for example. At the moment I'm really not impressed, especially at the price point they go for.
    Has anyone else found this?

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I doubt it.

Boomy is not the way I'd describe any of the NV cabs, which have a nice tight low end with Ampeg tube amps.

Are you boosting your bass frequencies at the amp or bass?

3. Jimmy Bob

Jimmy Bob

Jul 1, 2012
    I've tried both boosting and cutting at the bass preamp and at the head. If I cut it sounds totally weak and thin, if I boost it sounds really boomy with the low B and E strings, and the D and G strings sound piddly weak especially above the 12th fret. The A string sounds fairly well balanced. This is the same with both basses.

4. Room acoustics?

5. Which Ampeg 610 are you comparing it to?
    Is it the HLF?

6. Jimmy Bob

Jimmy Bob

Jul 1, 2012
    Just other ampeg cabs in general. After all the amazing reviews I was really expecting it to be the same or better quality than an Ampeg cab, and having the 12" drivers would give it more depth and fatness but it seems that it compromises punch and tightness. I'm just wondering if it's just a bad combination I have or if others have noticed the same thing...

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Well, the Berg NV610 sounds quite a bit different from the NV412. Sounds like you might just like the tighter, punchier sealed multi 10 vibe. VERY few guys who moved from a fridge to an NV610 were sorry (although there were a few, of course).

Also, the opposite of 'punch and tightness' is 'depth and fatness':D

In addition, that is a totally different issue than 'quality'.

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I absolutely agree with this description. I don't find the NV412 boomy at all. But if you were expecting the tight, punchy tone of a fridge, I can see why the NV412 isn't your cup of tea. I played an SVT VR through my NV412 in the garage and it was uncontrollable - in every other setting, it has worked very well for me. But I'm a pretty foundational player - flats, etc

9. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The NV412 is my favorite of the Berg NV's - also own the 610 and recently sold the 215. I preferred all of them to the Ampeg 410HLF, 210's, and 810 I owned in the past, no contest. Not a boomy cab at al IME - I would think it would sound great with your Ampeg. How are you EQ'ing the head and your bass's electronics?

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    well said. yup.

11. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Boomy compared to a 610 HLF? Hard to imagine.

12. Maybe the cab has a speaker out of phase (miss wired)? Easy to check.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I would think out of phase would feel thin and anemic....

14. Not necessarily if it was one out of four.

15. Jimmy Bob

Jimmy Bob

Jul 1, 2012
    I've tried just about everything EQ wise. Nothing sounds right to me.

16. Jimmy Bob

Jimmy Bob

Jul 1, 2012
    How would I check this?

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    using a speaker cable, plugged in, with the other 1/4 end in your hand
    take a 9 volt battery
    and put the tip on one lug, and the shaft on the other lug.

the speakers should all move in one direction.
    if one/some are moving in a different direction than the rest; then, one/some are out of phase.

18. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I at onetime had a NV412, and I really didn't care for the sound, I had it for some time and tried it with several heads, but I didn't have the SVT VR, but I did have the SVT II Pro (blue graphics) and yes it could get boomy in certain rooms, but in my experience you can control that with EQing to some degree, so is the cab naturally boomy, I'd have to say no, it has a sound that is wider, rounder, somewhat fatter than the NV610, somewhat similar sound to the NV425, but the NV425 has just a little more punch, than the NV412, due to the 3-10's , although I didn't try the cabs with a 5 string, maybe the OP is talking about the sound issues with the b-string or the active preamps in the basses if so equiped? .... in the end I kept the NV610 and sold the NV412 & NV425

5453260099_431965dcb1.
    P1020416 by jastacey128, on Flickr

bassdudepat likes this.
  19. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    I don't think the NV412 is boomy. Not as punchy as the NV610 yes, but boost your mids and it gets close but with more low end.
    I've had both, NV610 and 412, I kept the 412 as it sounded so much better with overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals and it also sound deeper and bigger than the 610.

I use mine with an Aguila DB750 and a Geddy Lee with Model J pickups tuned down to C#. I can tell you the sound is inmense and I'm in tone heaven!...I have tried other cabs/amps but nothing comes close to my current rig. :bassist: