Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bergantino nv425 cab with aguilar db 750 or db359

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdsi44, Apr 30, 2005.

1. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    i have the nv425 cab, and really want the aguilar.....which one should i go with......the 359 is only 200 watts....is that enough power for the bergie? help!!!

2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Call Jim and check with him, he's pretty accurate on recommending amps to go along with his cabs... I'd say to try the new Yorkville XS800H.. If I pick up any other amp set-up, that would probably the exact one, your cab and the Yorkville...

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I know the DB750 is a monsterously powerful amp.
    It handles 2ohm loads, also.

I don't have experience with the DB359.

Put some really good tubes in the preamp of the 750 and it should get some great tones (or DB659 with the power amp of your choice).

From others' comments the NV425 should be a great sounding cab.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Either way you'll have an incredible rig! I personally suggest the DB750. I used to have the DB359. It's a really great amp but you'll be able to push the Berg cab a lot better with the 750. Actually, if I were to buy an integrated head tomorrow it would definately be the DB750. That and an HT322 would be a thing of beauty.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    What kind of music do you do and what kind of tone are you looking for?

6. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    i play in a 3 piece rock band.....i love the tube sound, with some clarity.....i currently have a newer svt cl...and its just too muddy....

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've played the Traynor YBA-200 through my NV610. It sounded really good but the 200 watts wasn't really enough for anything but stage monitoring.

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Just thought I'd let you know... The DB 359 has been discontinued, so if you end up decinding that you want one, you should get it soon. ;)

As for my thoughts on your question, I haven't played either of these two amps, but I think you may want to go with the 750. The extra wattage would probably come in handy.

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I run the DB 728 with the NV425. I think either Aggie amp would be great. The two are a KILLER combo.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The Demeter 201 pre's go very well with the Berg cabs I've heard (HT112, HT310, & HT322).

I also played through a DB659 into a couple of Berg cabs and it sounded very good, but didn't have the punch and clarity of the Dem. Good tubes make a positive difference with both preamps. The preamp in the DB750 is similar to the DB659 preamp.

The Read Purity should sound very good with them as well and be more versatile tone-wise.

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd have to say the DB 359 is going to sound better, but for pure volume the DB 750 wins. The sound quality is really close though...

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey KD,

i know we talked about this before on PM, but you never mentioned the 750, which in your case would be a better choice than the 359.

the 359 sounds incredibly sweet, but the 750 is definitely tighter, and yet punchier. and you'll have NO shortage in wattage or volume. 750 all the way.