Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino NV425 - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gmr1, Jul 16, 2004.

1. gmr1

gmr1

Nov 16, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Didn't see anyone mention much about the new Bergantino NV425, so I thought I'd start a thread after owning mine for just over a week now. I'm not great at putting the notion of sound into words, but I'll take a shot!

I've been playing through Bergs for quite some time now. My setup has been an Aguilar DB659>PLX2402>pair of HT112's for a year or so, and I've been really happy with the setup. I'll also use one of the cabs with a clarus for smaller gigs... a nice compact setup for smaller rooms.

Just recently I got a great deal on a Mesa Bass 400 (I've been wanting a tube amp for sometime) and decided that I wanted a new cab to go along with it. I had been playing a really great 62' RI P-Bass for awhile after using Lull 5 strings exclusively for 2+ years, and decided I wanted to assemble a "rock rig"... getting back to my roots I guess. The precision/tube amp/sealed cab seemed like the way to go.

Stopped into Rock City Music (here in Somerville, MA). Corey and Justin are great guys, and always have something that makes me want to spend! I've been doing business with them since they opened, and I highly recommend their store.

Initially I tried to talk myself into "settling" for an Ampeg cab, but it just wasn't doing it for me. Saw the NV425, glanced lovingly at the cab for a bit, went back to my studio space, grabbed the Mesa, and headed back to the store. Plugged it in, and could tell almost instantly that this was the cabinet I was looking for... loud, articulate even tone from top to bottom, and a really quick defined response I normally don't associate with large multi-speaker cabinets. Really loud too... I always feel like an ass playing that loud in store, but Corey always seems to insist on it! The added bonus was I liked the setup the most with a p-bass... and I tried a Lakland, Lull, and Alembic through it before trying the Fender.

Pulled out the wallet, and left with the cab. It fit perfectly in the back seat of my car... I probably should have taken that in to consideration a little earlier in the process, but luckily it fit... plus the cab tilts back and rolls on wheels, so it's not too tough to move around.

I've used it in 3 different settings now, and it's been great. In the past I've gravitated towards very midrange focused tone... Very polite and warm, but never offensive. Using the new setup I've grown comfortable into letting my sound get much lower range... Really huge sounding, perhaps just a little mean, but not even a bit muddy. The bands I play with seem to like it, and haven't been complaining too much about me knocking stuff off of walls, shelves, etc when we play! The only down fall has been I think I need to add a few nails to the door frames in our space as they rattle like crazy now... esp. when using a 5-string. The low end with B string gets downright scary.

I'm thinking if the weather is nice this weekend, I'll drag the whole setup outside and see if I can knock squirrels out of the trees with it!

So that's it I guess... I got the first NV-425 off the line (Corey has the prototype, so he still has bragging rites I guess!) and it rocks... just what I wanted! I really recommend checking out the NV bergantino cabs. Rock City always seems to have a silly amount of bergs in stock (and other drool inducing items!), and their customer service is top notch.

Thanks for reading... I apologize if this is all a little long-winded!

Greg, Boston

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Nice! I have the nv610 (played it last weekend and maybe tomarrow night) but played the 425 about a week ago. The 425, to me, sounded like the 610 but with more bottom end to it. Very nice cab. Im about two feet from ordering the 215. J.B. has done some great things with the nv line. Did you have a chance to compare the 425 with the other nv cabs? What did you think?

3. gmr1

gmr1

Nov 16, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I have played the NV610 on a couple of occasions, and thought it sounded great. Really punchy and clear. It nails that low-mid tone I love, but isn't clanky on the top end. I actually initially intended on ordering a 610 before playing the 425. I didn't get a chance to try them both in the same sitting as Rock City had the 425 in stock at the time for the NV series. I haven't seen or heard the 215 yet, but I bet it thumps. 37hz - 7khz freq. response! Your thinking about using a NV610 and NV215 together? Man... I'd love to hear that!

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks for the review. I have a Bergie HT322 and would love an NV cab for some of my other musical styles. But all in I still love my HT322.

5. Do you mind me asking how much you payed for the NV610?

To gmr1, the NV-425 looks like an awesome cab, I hope you have a lot of fun with it (which it looks like you've already started) :cool:

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Its been over a year since I got the nv610 but I think all three nv cabs are about $900 us. Great cabs!

7. Gm
    Cool review, thanks. I've been waiting for one to pop up. I've got the NV610 and used to have couple 400+ amps. Wish I would have kept one now... but my Demeter 201S and Crest CA9 does the WhoopA$$ thing real proper like. I would love to try the other NV cabs they all sound very interesting. I've also got the Ht/EX 112's too, love them sooooo much. You will be suprised how easy the NV cabs are to move around as you use it more. The only thing I would need help with is a flight of stairs, other than that I handle just fine myself. Very well designed. Also, I have a Walter Woods Ultra that sounds great with my NV610. Looks like a clock radio or something sitting on top... ;)
    Enjoy your new toys.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent comments, thank you!

The Berg HT and NV series are different, that's for sure. I like having both for variety's sake: the HT cabs are smoother with a wider frequency response, but as noted here and elsewhere the NV cabs have their own special magic (focus, punch, growl, whatever you want to call it).

I'm sure I'd be happy with an NV215 or NV425, but no more than I am with my NV610. So, I'm not GASsing right now (and if I keep telling myself that, maybe it'll come true ;) )

9. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I spent some time today A/Bing the NV610 and NV425 at Bass Emporium. I'm looking for a new road rig to replace my Bag End. I figured the 610 would be the one I would like before actually I plugged in, but I thought the 425 had a rounder sound and most of the same mid-bite and top end. The 610 is great if you want a more aggressive sound and it sounded great with my '64 p bass, but my Sadowsky and most of the other basses I tried sounded better through the 425. John at Bass Emporium recommended the 610 before I plugged in, but he changed his mind right away. I do double when I tour so I will need to take my upright in before I decide. I want to try the Schroeder cabs, but no one carries them here in Austin. I might be able to go to the Dallas Guitar Show. I think Brian from Low End will be there. John lets me crank it up when I try gear at his store. I doubt I’ll get to do that at the show without being shown the door by security.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I jammed through both of those (and every other cab I could find!) down a Bass Emporium back in December. He had an NV215 there at the time, also, and while I like the NV610, and was even more impressed with the 425, it was the NV215 that really blew me away! It's on my short list, for sure! ;)

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Could you explain what you mean by aggressive?

12. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    The NV215 is a sick cabinet, but I don't really have a place for a 2-15 in my musical life right now.

Lockout:
    I'm really bad at expressing myself in gear speak, but I mean it is a little too mid-rangy (but not honky). Sort of like "hey, pay attention to my mid range bite." aggressive in that way. It could have been related to the head I used. It wasn't mine. It was a MESA M Pulse set flat. I use an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro or a Stewart 2.1 plus "preamp of the moment" for roadwork.

I'm going back and forth on whether I need the NV425. My gig plays, on average, 500 - 1200 seat venues when we headline, but I worry about having something with a 15 in it on smaller, quieter stages. Especially when I bust out my upright. But we do open for larger acts and those gigs can be 10,000 seaters and that's when I wish I had more than my Bag End 4-10, but there are usually fantastic monitors in those situations and that totally makes up for it. I just don't look forward to buying more cases, so that's why I stay with my Bag End that I've used for the past 9 years.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    maybe Greg can chime back in, and give us a looooong range gig report... :D

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Tom, how would you describe the sonic differences between the NV425 and the NV215?

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I thought that the 215 had a more articulate high end, and more precise (and possibly deeper) low end. The 245 had slightly more full low mids, as I remember.

16. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I was shocked how much range the NV215 had when I played it. I don't think John at Bass Emporium is carrying that model anymore, so it's been a while since I played it. That 6" it has really makes a difference.
    I still want to try out the 210s and EX112s combo. I love my EX/HT mini stack and I would take it on the road, but I want to leave it at home for local gigs on my breaks from touring. I would love to have the whole Bergie series, but I make all my money from playing and I don't have the deep pockets for it. :bawl:

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I guess the NV215 & NV245 together would be ridiculously sick?

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    For sure, as would the 215/610 combo...

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It seems that the classic cab combo's are the HT112/EX112, HT210/HT115, and now the HT210s/EX112s. I have the first two, and can endorse them both wholeheartedly. Having heard the HT210s (by itself) at Bass Emporium, I am confident that the "S stack" is going to be booty-full as well!