1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bergantino NV610 paired with Eden WT800B or WT550?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lavaman67, Apr 1, 2006.

1. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Man, this site is addictive! I'm pretty new to TB, but I've already done so much reading and somehow I don't seem to closer to pulling the trigger on getting a new head than I was three weeks ago. I currently have a Blue/Red Script SVT Classic 97? and pair it with the Bergie NV610, but I find that it's still a little muddy and a little slow at times for my taste. I should also mention that I am in process of getting rid of my 810E due to the weight and bulk, so I am kinda looking for an alternative to the 85lbs head as well without sacrificing anything tonewise. Hell, I want to gain something if possible!

I am playing almost all fingerstyle alt, classic and roots rock. I am playing mostly pocket, driving, groove and walking lines. I've read about the Aggie DB750, Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II Head, and the Edens and still can't seem to make up my mind. Has anyone paired the Bergie NV610 with the WT800, 800B or WT550 yet? I've already emailed Tom Bowlus a few times and he's been a great guy and really helpful, but I haven't heard anyone talking too much about the Eden's and Bergantino NV610 yet? My dilemma is also one of money too. I see the Aggie at one end, the Ashdown at the other and the Eden in the middle price wise. Is that Aggie that much better than the Ashdown and worth almost a grand more than the Eden? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. I would try what you can obviously and decide which one is worth however much money. Maybe find your favorite of the lot, and rent it to test out with your berg cab.

I can vouch for eden being excellent stuff, I'm not as much of a fan of the Aggie and I've never played the ashdown. That being said I've never plugged My eden or any head for that matter into a berg cab, so I dont really know.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    Eden WT800x, ashdown evo, or aguilar db750? into a berg nv610? man, that is a conundrum!

if you're a constant tweaker, no doubt the Eden series. the eden eq section is one of my favs of all the medium to large scale manufacturers. i'd just get the 800B to be safe for maximum wattage kick. if you're plug 'n play, and dont mind lugging a 50 lbs. amp @ 2am, then the aguilar is your choice. and yes, its tone into the nv610 is worth the lug. ;) course, while the ashdown is a killer head, i'd rather get as much wattage as possible in the same formfactor, and the Eden trumps it there.

also, try PM'ing or searching for posts by TB'er "Poon", he's used a high powered ashdown head w/ his NV610. might be helpful to you, too.

and you can do a search for TB'er "tommixx", who loves raving about his nv610 and db750.

4. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I just got an Ashdown preamp that I'm running into a crest PA amp, into a Berg NV 425. I couldn't be happier. My plan if I wasn't happy, was to next try the Eden preamp and if that didn't work, get an all tube head. I'm finally happy with my setup. One day I will try the all tube head, but for now I'm satisfied.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Be sure to try out the Mesa 400+ with your berg, before you decide on anything else. Use ch.1 input for clean-fast tones. These two pair really well, the tone and punch is amazing.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden and NV sound pretty darn nice together, too! :D

120_2099.

7. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    +1. NV610 is my next cab.:)

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Hey badB, I'm in n. phx. You can try out my nv-610. (not for sale) You have to check out my 400+ amp mod. p.m. me, or come check out my rock band,(PsychoSquareDance) at the hollywood alley, fri apr. 14 to hear this rig live. View attachment 32328

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    holy flippin'...

10. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I've got an svtcl and a wt800b. I've never been able to directly A/B them as the svt has been in the shop since I got the eden. That said my svt is capable of a more open, natural and clear top end than the eden. It's also more responsive under my hands. That's not to say the eden is bad (it's very good) but in these specific areas, as long as it is not pushed into overdrive, the svt is the best I've ever played. My svt absolutely sang with JJ's in the preamp and EH 6550's. So bearing in mind what you said about money the cheapest option could be to get a good tube amp person (someone with plenty of svt experience) to go through the amp. It might well be the best tone solution too.

To get the svtcl to run as clean as possible, run the master on 10 and stay away from the ultra low switch. I notice both the cabs you mention don't have tweeters. Maybe what you're looking for in your tone is what you get with a tweeter? Why not try plugging the svt into a completely different style of cab from what you've been using? I know the tube amp/sealed cab pairing is very popular here but ime an svt with an epifani 410UL (ported cab with a tweeter) is quite something.

One last thought, the preamp in the wt550/800 is very powerful, very flexible. It's best feature imo. There's a pretty good chance that you can find some tones in there you like.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, spill the beans. What do all of these switches do? Is this to 'shut off' different banks of tubes?

[​IMG]

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  13. building 2X10 cab, any suggestions?
    This project began recently and I have as much as the board and drivers. Anyone with a suggestion on balancing 8ohm drivers with a specific tweeter or special porting ideas with 3/4" board? Using a demeter pre and this cab is going to be one of a kind. Possibly revolutionary if pulled off correctly.
    Portland, OR

14. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You are corect sir. This is a cool mod for any tube amp with 4 or more tubes. You need to try this mod and help spread the word. Master volume, the amps sweet spot at any volume!

15. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I ordered new Preamp and Driver tubes last Friday. 2- Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EHs, 2- Philips ECG 12AU7 (5814) and 1- JAN-Phillips 12AT7 / ECC81 under recommendation from the Tube store and they should be here by the end of the week. I am second owner of the SVT-CL and I replaced the power tubes with Sovtek 6550 WE about two years ago. Jon from the tube store told me that when I decide to change the power tubes to go with the Tung-sol 6550s. He told me they are probably the best on the market right now. We'll see what type of difference the Pre/Driver tubes makes first. I am by no means giving up on the Bergantino yet. I just think I need to tweek what I have first.

As far a tweetered cab... you may be right el_Kabong, but I don't have much experience with tweetered cabs. I guess I have always associated them with heavy metal, jazz and fusion? The Epifani UL-410 looks amazing, but I have never heard one. They don't have them at GC. No suprise, but even LowDown in the Detroit doesn't have them. It's a fine line with tweeters for me. They have to be adjustable. That would be my only rule. I am going to give the SVT another chance when I change the tubes, but the weight is always going to be an issue, along with the money pit of replacing tubes.

I just wish there was a place to try all these brands out in soundrooms. It's so difficult to hear stuff with a bunch of people popping and slapping in the same room, a 13 year old playing Korn in the background and some guy giving a drum clinic 30 feet away. Not to mention a place that actually has all the top shelf bass gear to test. Back to the woodshed for more testing when the tubes arrive.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    so that's where you put the nitrous system...

:D

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

How about a Sadowsky tube amp?

Rob

18. Y E S ! LOL! So much so that I bought one, got tired of the weight....SOLD it...bought another one and was getting tired of the weight and THEN it got burned up in a fire...and then bought ANOTHER one!! They really are that good. I have lost enough on the 2 to pay for my T-Funk which is also a good choice but between the 3 the 750 is DaBomb.....

Peace,

T

19. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I had to drop the the nitrous, so I'm just running it on alchohol now.