Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino NV610 power hungry???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 31, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Does it need a lot of power to come to life?
    I see that most people playing with it use big PA poweramps.
    How do you think it would work with an EBS HD350? (350W conservatively rated.)

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have found that the nv610 is not as power hungry as the ht322 but it still can handle alot of power. I have ran it with 1100 watts and 500 watts @ 4ohms with a pre/power rig and 240 watts @ 4ohms with a trace head and arround 500 watts @ 4ohms with the ebs td650 head. It sounds great with all setups! IMO this cabs is a sleeper. The more people hear the nv cab, the more people will own this cab.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I played through this cab in Rudy's the other night with a Fafner and a Smith 6-string. Compared to the HT322 the NV sounded more open and full, as well as a bit louder. inazone is right: it will be mine...

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Good to hear EBS is a good match for that cab.
    I´m thinking about a HD350 or a Glockenklang Soul. They are priced almoust the same here in europe. The Glock is just $200 more.

5. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Glock and bergantino, killer combination, mmm. I know there is not many places that selling Bergs in Europe. Is there any?

6. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    So I guess my idea of buying a NV610 to use with my Ampeg Classic SVT is a bad idea because I "need" huge volume. Any suggestions? I thought people used my amp with 8/10's with no problem.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The "underpowered" myth. Ignore it.

You can run any cab with any head. It comes down to a question of whether the resulting tone works for you at the volume you need. A low wattage head will go farther with a cab that is efficient and strongly voiced in the mids. A less efficient cab may require you to push the head beyond it's clean operating range which is cool if you like distortion, not if you don't

Cabs aren't hungry. They're either efficient or not.

8. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    Ya it is the 300watt all tube head. It is in excelent shape and is all paid for so buying a power amp and pre, while a nice thought is not logical when my cab is in rough shape.

I try to, it just seemed that there was a lot of talk about lately.

From what I have heard the Bergantino is supposed to be a real nice cab and they are not supper cheap so I would like to think they are efficient

Thanks guys

9. whatever

whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    Boston
    What would you consider pushing the amp to hard? When we play out it is all originals so our set is rarely over an hour. In the practice space we might be there for a total of three hours, which is broken up by random stuff at which point my amp goes on stand by. That does not seem like to much to me, what do you think?

Thanks

10. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Bergantinos are notoriously inefficient cabinets, which is why Jim B hiself usually suggests a power amp/preamp setup. I know this is the case for the HT series -- perhaps it is different with the newer NV series cabs, since they are designed to compete with more vintage cabs like SVTs...I really can't say for sure.

I think by pushing an amp hard, Josh means driving an inefficient cab with a low-powered ss amp for long periods of time. The amp will therefore have to run at closer to maximum capacity - and therefore hotter - than an amp with a lot of headroom (e.g., a power amp).

whatever -- if possible you should demo an NV 610 with your SVT head and the bass(es) you'll be using with your band. Compare it to other cabs using the same head if you can as well. Also, a call to Jim B would definitely be a good way to determine if your tube head would complement the 610. He's very helpful (and patient) with matters like these.

Cheers,
    Aram

11. I can tell you I'm lovin' my NV610!!!!
    I used it on the last two jobs because I had not used it that much since I bought it. I got it for bigger and outside venues mostly. I have found though that is is suitable for anything I'm doing. It's not that heavy and because of it's design it's easy to move. I the sealed design and has the "vintage" sound and really is punchy and loud. I ran mine New Years with my Demeter 201s and QSC 2402. It whooped some major A$$. My band asked me at least twice two turn down. I had the QSC all the way up and the Demeter on like 2. I even had to turn the bass tone down some :D I also ran it with my Walter Woods Ultra the gig before and it was KILLER too.

I love my Berg HT/EX 112 cabs but the NV610 is starting to take the lead.

I would say you definatly need enough power to run the cab. Mine is probably overkill, but I have a lot of headroom which I like. My investment is a good one. I recommend you call Mr. Bergantino too. This cab rocks!

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I share Big String's enthusiasm. I typically run my NV610 with around 700 watts, and have tons of headroom to spare (the -3dB light never comes on). I play BEADG five string through mine.

As for whether 350 watts are enough, I have a couple of comments. First, your desired tone can have a large impact on how many watts you need. Lower notes take more energy to produce, so you can increase headroom by cutting lows, and perhaps boosting mids as well. That probably won't work for deep reggae ;), but should be OK for most other genres. (Even though I play fiver, I prefer a chunky punchy tone rather than huge pant-flappin' lows). Also, room size is a major factor in "how many watts?"

There are other factors (such as, how loud do your bandmates play) but they're mostly obvious.

P.S. I would love to hear my NV610 pushed by a vintage SVT... I'm going to arrange that this year. The only reason I haven't done so already is because I'm afraid I'll wind up *buying* a vintage SVT (my back protests! :eek: )

13. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I think the Ampeg SVT Classic with the Berg NV610 would sound awesome. definitely try to play with them both first.

14. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have to say fuzzbass is right about what sound your after. The nv610 is no where near as low as the berg 322 BUT the nv610 handles the lows very well. It depends on what lowend sound your after. I just looked at my trace head and its 280 watts rms and 540 watts peak. I play 5 string and have had this cab arround a year. When I use this set up the trace is run at about 90% and I have never had a problem. The difference I have noticed between the nv610 and 322 as far as watts is that the 322 really comes alive with more power. The nv just gets louder but keeps the same great sound.

15. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Josh and Big String,

Do you guys like the two berg 1-12 cabs? They seem so shallow that they might not get the meaty sound I am used too. COuld you compare the two berg 1-12 cabs to say two Bag End S-15D cabs? Or maybe two Aguilar GS 1-12 cabs? Or maybe a Epi 3-10? Those are the cabs I am used too. I could get one HT 1-12 and use it with my Bag End 15. Or get one HT and one EX. Would that sound good?

Thanks

16. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have the berg 112s as well. Like fuzzbass has said it depends on what type of lows your after. The 112s handle the low great and they dont break up but they dont sound deep and low like a 15. Ive tried a berg 115 with the 112 and it works great. It wasnt quite 'my' sound though. To me the 15 was a little overbarring but personaly I dont like the sound of 15s that much. JMO

17. Flat
    I also have the HT/EX112 and that is what I use most of the time. I have not ever played through any Bag gear, but I hear it's great. I tried my HT112 coupled with my Mesa 1x15EV cab and it sounded very good, but not any better than with the EX112. I love the sound of a good 1x15 and am skeptical about selling mine, but I just don't use it. The small 112 cabs of today are pretty different but all of them are made for easy moving and all that I have auditioned sound way better x2. The only one I've heard mention that is a great stand alone is the EA CLX112 and Epi T112. It is heavier and I think more expensive. My two small Bergs are AMAZING and on a box stage with a Auralex Gramma Pad they just will rattle everything below your belt, very "focused." Think PUNCH with great lows and highs. Like others stated the NV610 is just awesome but may not go as low as the HT322, but I sold mine it wasn't for me. fyi: I play four string only with drop D tuning sometimes.

18. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I got a great deal on a used NV610 and did not have a power amp to use with it. I emailed Jim Bergantino to help me decide between a QSC 2402 and a QSC3402. His advice: 2402 unless you think you will later need to run another NV610 or NV215. It sounds sweet with my Kern pre!

19. Funk
    Glad you joined the NV club.
    If you have not already purchased a power amp I would go for a PLX 3002. It's exactly the same as a 2402 except more power, meaning that when you step up to the 3402 the requirements to reach full power are different. Check out the specc on the QSC site. Your pre amp needs to put out more output voltage to bring the 3402 to full power. I believe that is accurate. It may not be even be a problem for your Kern. I love 2402 but if I had to do it over again I would go for the 3002.

20. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Too late. I already have the 2402. Frankly, I think I have more than I really need right now. I got a good deal on ebay for the 2402.