Bergantino NV610/Two HT115/Two Mini Stacks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Guess Who.... :)
    Man it's a regular blizzard here in the Midwest and we are getting some Lake Effect Snow. My band gets plenty of free adverstisment this time of year since the band's name is Lake Effect :D Anyway not going out tonight so here is my thought pattern most of the day.

Has anyone compared a Bergantino NV610 or any NV with two Berg HT-115's or two Mini Stacks = HT/EX 112s twice. Now we all know that more speakers/drivers are louder push more air. Well most also know that different size drivers and different design cabs/enclosure; and how they are tuned if ported; have different results too.

Some specific questions:
    Can the two HT115 cabs be as punchy as the others?
    Would the two HT115 cabs throw farther? most likely I think.
    Would the NV215 thow as far as two HT115?
    Does the HT210/HT115 have more advantages that two HT115 or is it just taste.

I would really like to try 4 112s or two 115s or a NV610/NV215, but I'm not buying cabs just yet. Andrew Jones has the two HT115 and loves them, Jonathan Starr has the Mini Stack and a HT115 he uses in a column, interesting setups. Today I experimented with some set up I have tried before but not live yet. I put my HT112 on top of my NV610 and it's quite impressive. I can control both cabs with the Dem/CA9 rig. The lofty 112 acts as a monitor. I also tried my Mini Stack along side the NV610... very big and powerful. Hard to tell if the tens compliment the 12s or visa versa, but I thinks so at least from being the practice room. I didn't hear anything ugly anyway. Taking the mini stack off of the trusty Auralex Gramma made a big different in the bootay dept. though. Maybe because the NV sits on the floor too.

Note: I've always loved 15's and stayed away from tens. I really like 12's but they can disappear in the mix too, not as bad as tens do though. Trouble with most 15's they are not as fast of course and the wave forms farther out in my experience, hence you get the throw but may lack in the cut dept. on stage.

Comments/Opinions welcome.
  2. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Big -- I went to school near Chicago and totally sympathize with your lake effect snow! NYC is not too bad right now, it appears to have stopped, but on LI it's not supposed to let up until tomorrow afternoon.

Anyway, some of this is probably be speculation, but if you don't mind i'd like to take a stab at your questions, having a decent amount of Bergantino experience.

"Can the two HT115 cabs be as punchy as the others?"

IME absolutely -- the HT115s are the punchiest 15s I've ever heard. To me they're just as punchy as the HT210, but with added midrange, so they're the best of both worlds!!

"Would the two HT115 cabs throw farther? most likely I think."

I think with sufficient wattage the HT115s will throw further than any other combo you mentioned -- i base this on cabinet depth, and porting. I have next to no physics knowledge though, so this is all speculation.

"Would the NV215 thow as far as two HT115? "

Jim B would probably be the best man to answer this question for you, but again, i feel like shallow, sealed cabs don't project as far as deep, ported ones. That said, I'm a huge fan of the tone of the NV series cabs...but as far as projection, I'll leave that up to the experts.

"Does the HT210/HT115 have more advantages that two HT115 or is it just taste."

To me the HT210 is almost too much of a good thing. It's extremely punchy, which is cool, but I prefer the punch + midrange that the HT115 provides. As a standalone, I've mentioned before, the HT115 wins over the 210 for me.

I've never been able to demo two HT115s together, but to be honest, I've been thinking a lot about unloading my 210 and getting another 115, since they seem to be punchy and midrangy at the same time.

I hope this helped.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Interesting stuff.

Since you like the mini-stack so well, I would think a double-mini-stack (d-m-s?) would be (probably more than) doubly good.

With what others have stated regarding the HT115 &/or pair thereof, I would love to hear a pair.

Portability might be a consideration (whichever way you see or prefer the number/sizes of cabs).

The d-m-s would offer more options (use 1 to 4 cabs as needed).

Personally, I think if I were you, I'd go with the d-m-s.
    It should project, cut, & kill at will.
  4. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    +1 on the d-m-s... ;)
  5. Thanks for the replies gang. Man I spent 6 flippin' hours cleaning off snow today... We got about 2ft. here, I even had to get up on the roof of my house and get some off. Whew... I'm gettin' to old for this :( Hey but the sun is shining brightly all day. :cool:

Some very good replies. I don't know what it is about the HT115 but just keeps nagging me... like I said I've always loved the sound of a 15" driver and I like single driver cabs most of all. I do truly love the Mini Stacks but I was suprised at the last gig ( horrilbe room to hear ) that again when I went about 10' away from the stack, my ability to hear myself sharply dropped off again. Now mind you, I'm in a six piece band with blarring horns and a loud keyboard and guitar player. The guitar man was having a bad time hearing himself too and said he wished he could have heard me better. I'm sure if we all brought the stage volume down some it would have been much better, but you know how that goes. This is my reasoning for asking about cut and throw. Also, I was using my Walter Woods Ultra which is a dynamo little amp, but I will say from my comparisons with my bigger rig the Demeter and CA9 there isn't much of a contest. Although the WWU gets very loud and has wonderful EQ, the CA9 just is like NITRO added to the tank. I'm going to try the Mini Stack with this rig the next time we play there and see if it make a big difference. In the meantime I'm still gathering data to keep my GAS in check.

Now, from what I'm gathering hear, I'm thinking that two HT115's would most likely trounce the Mini stack since they have greater throw and are punchy. Maybe not as punchy as the 12's but... Heres the other thing. If I did get two mini stacks I would not be bringing them to the bar gigs, thats crazy but would use them for big out side venues of such.

I got a take a nap soon....
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Man, my Bergs 210 and 115 together just plain gets the job done. The 115 is a great thick but quick cabinet. I love the combination of the two.
    I actually prefer the 210's for the upper midrange, but the 115 by Bergantino is maybe one of the best of its kind. good luck. (The horn in the Bergs just plain stands out from all the others)
  7. I'm trying to find a used HT115. My pal has a new HT210 sitting on top of the HT212 he bought off me. I'm sure he will let me use the 210 if I get a 115. Plus, if I get the 115 I'm heading over to 'the Dudes' place to have a Bergantino Ball.

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have never tried two 115s together but I have tried two 210s and I really didnt like it as much as the pair. I think I would probably prefer the 210/115 over two 115s because I feel that each cab has strengths that help out the weaknesses of the other. 115 seems to have more of a mid thing going on while the 210 gives a little more lows and seems to be a little quicker.
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm interested to hear what, if any, changes you make to your Bergantino lineup. Certainly, the d-m-s would be very flexible, and my guess is might be my favorite tone of the group. But, I do have to say that I was very impressed with the NV215. I think I may be alone in preferring this to the other two NV cabs, but I found it to be very clear and articulate. I've only tried it once down at Bass Emporium, but I really liked it. Both of Jim's 2x10's really imrpessed me, too, and I would think that an HT-210/HT-115 setup and the HT-210S with its matching sub would also be in the running for "best sounding Bergie rig" - at least as far as my ears are concerned.

Jim does provide you with some tantalizing choices, eh? ;)
  10. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    What you should look at, and what I am considering, is not get a full double stack, but a 1.5 stack, take your EX and HT and find which one "completes" your sound, IE - if you want more sound, get the EX, and if you need more highs, get the HT. Stack them EX, EX, HT. or EX, HT, HT.
    It is the sound we all hear you rave about, but with another 12, you will push more air, and be higher and closer to your ears, instead of having a 4x12 setup like a standard guitar 4x12 cab.
    all the bergie 12s come in 8ohm, put the 2 same speakers on one side for a 4ohm load, and a 8ohm load on the other side. and adjust the volume accordingly, and if you still are having trouble, your only one cab away from a double stack.
  11. Yes, very tantalizing..
    I really wish i could try them all in a live setting. If I were going to pick, aside from what I already own and have experience with, it would probably be the very populare Ht210/HT115 rig. This rig will probably cover every thing and still be able to utilize either my WWU or Dem/Crest rigs. The DMS is most desirable but I would only be able to use my Dem/Crest with that setup. Even if I just chose to use 3 112's I would still have to use the Dem/Crest.

Again, I'm thinking of aquiring a HT115 new or used and seeking out friends who have the HT210, or HT115 to see what might work best.

re: Berg 210s and Sub, that is also most intriguing, but the very thin depth (11.5") is nice for stage room, but seems hard to put a full sized amp rig on top.... would be great for the WWU, and I'm not sure if the 210s and sub are 4ohm or 8ohm. I would really have to hear these cabs before buying.

re: NV cabs, I like my 610 a lot but the sealed cab design seems limited in the throw dept. Not only do I notice the loudness dropping off sharply when I get around 10ft. or so away, but my bandmates have mentioned several time they cannot hear me that well and would like more especially outside. Now I find out they can't hear my Mini Stack as good either.... Maybe all us Ol'Farts are deaf...
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good points all the way around. No one said choosing your rig was going to be easy! :p

I would think that in the "throw" department, the HT210/HT115 might be the top dawg. Have you asked Jim B about this?
  13. Oh, yeh, I've talked to Jim many times, but not just recently. He thinks I'm whacky anyway.... :D Jim has been my personal sound designer for a number of years. I think I'll bend his ear again soon. I really like to get all the real world experience and thoughts from you guys too. Many thanks and keep them coming.
  14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Big, I wish we could get together I have 2 115s and a mini stack. think of the combinations!

I really like the 2 115's. I'm not the most articulate with the differences between gear.I will say that not only have I heard my stuff while playing when I first got them I played a show where Ilet another player play my rig so I could hear it wel. It Kills, Filled a largish Boomy room all on itsw own thck and articulate. Now theis was a Four String Player so I have no Idea on the B way out Front But It sounds Great Close!

15. Hi Andrew
    Ya, it would be nice to 'beam' over with gear....
    I'm four string only too with some drop D tuning. Thanks for the update, I'm still chewin' on what to do next.

So which do you prefer overall the Mini stack or the 115 stack?
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

So... are you looking for a Berg rig most suitable for gigging or snowblowing (maybe that's what you meant by "longer throw")?

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Big String,
    I've used my HT115 as a stand-alone cab during some really loud rehearsals. It's an amzingly loud cab. My guess would be that 2 HT115 cabs would handle pretty much any gig volume-wise and they would be fairly easy to carry into a gig. :cool:

One thing I've noticed with my HT210/HT115 setup is that I can walk out about 15' and it's a lot more audible than the SWR or Ampeg BXT cabs that I've used in the past. The sound really opens up out in front of them.

With my old SWR Goliath-III and Ampeg BXT410HL's I had to stand pretty close to them when playing on a really loud stage. My guess is they're designed more as an onstage monitor. Not to say that's a bad thing; I think it certainly gives a soundman more control volume-wise out front.

But I rarely have P.A. support, so I enjoy having the ability to fill the room with my sound when necessary.

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. And that's exactly what Jim B. told me when I asked his advice on which cab setup would be give me the optimum results for my personal requirements.

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Dean......we have to get you a white lab-coat for all this testing your doing :cool:
  20. :D LOL Fuzz, if I hooked up all the cabs at once outside I wouldn't need a snowblower... ;)

Jerry... I already look like a little mad scientist... the lab coat would finish it off. Ya, I should probably concentrate more on playing than gear.... na.