Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino NV610 vs Ampeg 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wildsponge, Jul 8, 2005.

1. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I want to know everything about how the Bergantino NV610 and Ampeg fridge compare. Also, can you get a sparkly pick tone with new rounds out of a cab like this w/o a tweeter. I use the tweeter on my Ampeg SVT410hlf but was wondering how these would do for a better match with a SVT-CL. THX

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have only played an NV610 in the store, but to my ears it seems to capture the overall vibe of the vintage SVT 8x10 fairly well. It doesn't pack the same visceral punch that the 8x10 can when driven hard, but it seems to sound good at a variety of volume levels - whereas I have found that the Ampeg 8x10 (at least the vintage one I have been borrowing of late) doesn't really come into its own until you drive it hard. The NV610 is pretty darn punchy sounding, and takes well to overdrive.

I own a Berg NV215, and with the 6" midrange, it has a lot more high end than the NV610 or NV425. I think that you get plenty of highs, though not quite the same sparkley zing that you get with a good tweeter. But again, it has more than enough highs for me (about the same as my Accugroove El Whappo). The NV215 is also really tight sounding, and it mixes extremely well with tube amps.

Tom.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thanks, Tom. I also think the NV610 is in the same ballpark as the old SVT coffin cab, but it's been nearly 2 decades since I've used one of those.

As for "sparkle": the Berg NV610 has better high-frequency response than either the 8x10 fridge or coffin. Of course none of these will match a tweetered cabinet... but that can be a very good thing: IME tweetered cabs can sound too hissy and/or buzzy when overdrive/distortion is used.

rockerswfl69 likes this.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    When comparing a Bergie 610 to a new Ampeg 810, the Bergie gets tons more lows, is a bit louder, and is punchier. That said, they have very similar sounds.

5. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I had your exact setup.

I've now got an NV610 which definitely sounds a lot more like the 810 than the 410hlf did - but then I think it's made to...

At any rate, I really like the NV. Like Tom said - "goes great with tube amps." (edit: o.k. so it was "mixes extremely well..." either way, you get the idea.)

Oh yeah, and you can definitely get sparkle with rounds and a pick. This is not a dark sounding cab.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    When I bought my NV610 it was standing next to an Ampeg 810. While they are both obviously shooting at the same target, I thought that the difference was very noticable no matter what amp I played through. The Berg was punchy, articulate, and had a nice low end to it. The Ampeg was like playing a wet noodle. YMMV depending on what bass you use and what room you're in, but it wasn't even a contest IMO.

7. Fuzzbass

I prefer my Bergie to Ampeg, but would never describe the Ampeg as a 'wet noodle'! I wonder if this lends itself to Tom's point that the Ampeg 8x10 sounds its best when it's cranked up. That was my experience back when I owned 'em, but I always assumed it was because of the amp, it never occurred to me that the cab could be responsible.

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I guess I should have qualified that with "comparitively". But yeah, I was in a music store. I wasn't about to give it what it wanted in that setting.

9. Fuzzbass

Recent NV610 conversations reminded me that it had been months since I'd used mine. So, I brought it to last night's gig with an Ampeg SVP-Pro/Stewart rack. Whoa, it is the perfect cab to use with my Sadowsky P5!! It doesn't have the low end rumble of the Berg HT cabs (less high-end shimmer too, naturally), but the NV610 has a helluva lot more punch and sounds better with a bit of grit dialed in. The SansAmp RBI is also a nice match for it. So, I'm back to using the NV610 for the forseeable future.

:bassist:

10. Fuzzbass

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
  12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey fuzzbass did you realize that your proto berg 610 is a mirror image of how they are being made now? The badge is on the opposide side and the low speakers sit on the left side instead of the right. Nice setup btw...

13. Fuzzbass

Thanks Tom. I should add that I might get to audition an NV215 soon, and that'll probably reignite my speaker GAS...
    :bag:

Thanks! You're right. I didn't notice this until Jim mailed me a 'B' badge (the protos were made before the new logos were printed). Also, the grill screw pattern on the newer NV cabs leaves room for the badge to sit in the top corner... I had to move my badge out a bit. Finally: instead of a top handle, mine has four caster holes on one side that I never use. Jim sent me a top handle but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Hey, these are small prices to pay for grabbing one of the few made in red tolex. :p

14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Hey Fuzz!
    I've fallen hard for my NV-610 again too. I've been playing ONLY 12 string bass for a while now, and it's THE cab for that. Musicman HD-150, Maxon OD-808(overdrive),NV-610, and a Hamer 12! It sounds like a freakin' locomotive!!!!!!
    Corey

15. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Hey Fuzz -

We *definitely* want to hear about that.

I've been thinking about the combo of a 610 and 215 or 610 and 425 for a while...

16. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Fuzz,
    thats a beautiful stack rig you got there. Got me thinking about switching back to a 6x10. Love the height. How much do one of these go for?

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I can't even imagine the ruckus that two of the NV series cabs would make. I'd love to hear it though, if the venue were large enough to do it justice.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    To quote Mr. Burns, "Excellent...!"

Globalcheese likes this.
  19. Fuzzbass

Thanks! Not only do I love the height, but weight is less than 100 pounds, which is pretty darn good for a 6x10.

I got mine for less than a grand including shipping. That was well over a year ago, and I don't know whether prices have changed. Corey at Rock City Guitars (see his post above) would know... I got my NV610 from him!

20. Fuzzbass

Whoa. I *might* be able to fit a stack like that in my vehicle... but aside from an annual outdoor party gig, I can't think of anyplace I'd actually get to use such a monster. Sure is fun to think about what it could do, though! :ninja: