Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino NV610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Feb 27, 2006.

1. More questions in the quest for a new cab.

Is the NV610 a one-trick-pony? A lot of people say it's great for a vintage tone, but is that it? Can it do anything else? I realize it has no tweet/horn, but can it get snappy on top?
    Any info appreciated.

2. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I wouldn't say that it's strictly limited to vintage tones. Of course it's not going to produce the glassy highs of a modern hi-fi cabinet, but the highs it does produce are very smooth. To my ears, slap/pop etc. sounds fine through the NV610, with plenty of speed and punch and a smooth top. If you are looking for a scooped tone, it might not be the best choice unless your pre can dial out the cab's inherent midrange bump.

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    It doesn't have the frequency range of the HT322, but there are some that would argue that it simply lacks all of the frequencies that you really don't need or want in a gigging situation.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's a lot snappier than you would expect, up top. But it doesn't sound like it has a tweeter. This doesn't mean, though, that it is a one-trick pony.

If you want much of the punch of the NV610, but you also desire to throw a tweeter in the mix, check out the Sadowsky SA410 4x10.

Tom.

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Tommixx has one too and says it kills. I am considering trying one. I love my Eden stuff but I always turn the tweeter off. Completely off. I was thinking of having Eden not even wire the tweeter on the new Eden 6-10 (with Neo's) I was thinking of getting when they come out this summer.

But now the 610 is sounding good to me. I have played both sealed and ported cabs but never side by side. I use to love the way an Ampeg 8-10 would tear your head off at five feet but they never handled the B string well.

Tommixx suggestted I needed to take a flight to Tom Blowlus's house and spend a few days trying gear. Not sure about that but I gotta get to a dealer who carries Eden, Bergantino and Schroeder.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    We had all brands represented this past weekend! :D

7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I just got one from Dan Knowlton and am trying to make up my mind up about it.

I think the previous comments are dead on. It is SMOOTH and EVEN across the whole instrument (and I'm using a 6). For any Pizz sounds, from Jamerson to Jaco, it will bring a !@#$-eatin grin that won't go away.

Slap stuff is not so clear to me yet. I mean it isn't bad by any means. I've been A/Bing against my existing rig consisting of two Tech CT 2000 cabs. These have fallen off the popular bass radar, but they are very high end; Kim Stone used to use them with the Rippingtons - maybe still does. They are much more scooped, and have an excellent slap character. I'm a bit of a weak slapper, so I need all the help I can get in that department. In that sense, I am still undecided on the 610. It is so clean that it misses some of that nasty character in the lower mids with the snap on top that the "hifi" cabs will give you. OTOH, that is not necessarily bad. Like I said I am still trying to make up my mind.

Also, I am waiting to pair it with a DB750, as Tom reported earlier to see how that does. Since 90% of my playing is Pizz, I'll more than likely stay with this cab. It's a good one.

To the original question, the NV610 is missing some of the "HiFi" snap. However, it has 10's, so, it's not totally missing top end. It's just extremely even as opposed to scooped.

Do you like Rhone wines or Bordeaux?

8. +1.....The weird thing is I just finished typing this LOOOOONNNNGG PM to brad and I could have just said this! LOL! This is very well put and I totally agree....essentially what I said was that the lowend rolloff was higher than the first harmonic of a B and the High rolloff was higher than the third or 4th harmonic of any note you were likely to play on the bass anyway...what you lose in my opinion is the mud on the lowend and the clackety clack of the high end....on my T-Funk I have the Highs flat and on the 750 I have my highs at about 1 o' clock with the bright switch on......with the Tones I get out of my rig I am in Tone heaven.

I played a gig Sunday with a drummer that I had never played with and he made the comment that I had the smoothest and most consistent tone he had ever heard. He said I must have the best technique in the world to get it that even and I replied that a lot of it was the rig as I did not even need compression anymore. He wanted to know about the Sadowsky Bass and the Bergantino cab as he was not that familiar with either. He did note that the Aguilar he was familiar with and he knew that was one "bad Mot&^%F*&^%r" LOL! He was quite impressed to say the least.....as was I...I had a ball just playing this rig! I am a lucky man to have it.....:hyper:

Peace,

T

9. Tommixx, thanks for the PM! It did sum a lot of things up for me. I appreciate the time you put into it.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have the NV 610. I also got a HT 210 a while ago for a more modern tone. I use em both at the same time live and get the best of both worlds. I would describe the highs on the 610 as natural, but not snappy at all.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'll just echo what everyone else has said. The NV610 is definitely not a one-trick pony. I sometimes use it for vintage grunt... because it has no tweeter, overdrive sounds particularly nice through the NV610. But it also sounds warm and phat for blues and country, and it's definitely snappy enough for modern rock.

In fact I can pretty much nail Flea's tone, even the slapped parts, in "Aeroplane". But it's true that Flea doesn't have the most modern tone in that song. If you have to hvae the clean glassy highs typically used in smooth jazz or urban dance, then get a cab with a tweet. But even though I often use bright bass tones, I don't miss the tweet at all when using the NV610.

12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    You guys are killing me. I have no real need for a tweeter. On my Eden's I turn them off. I prefer a smooth highend for both rock and country (comtemporary country).

I emailed Jim about building me a custom cab but he can't do it. He suggested the 425. I am not a huge fan of 15's but I dig the combination of 12's and 10's.

Anyone have any experience with the 425? How quick is the 15?

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Bass Alone in SD has the bergs.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Jim's 15's are really quick. My NV215 definitely changed some players' opinions at the GTG over the weekend.

Tom.

15. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Glad to hear that. I just bought a NV215 to go with my NV610 without ever having a chance to hear one. Both cabs together should totally cover all the bases.