Bergantino or Epifani

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Bergantino HT210

12 vote(s)
  2. Epifani T-210

5 vote(s)
  3. Bergantino 310

9 vote(s)
  4. Epifani 310

8 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. What do you all recommend, and why? I play a Warwick thumb 5 and a MM sterling. I play almost all styles of music, so I 'd like a good all around cab. Obviously one that can handle the low B with ease. I have a mackie 1400i for power, so a power hungry cab is not an issue.

Also, for the price jump and wieght gain, are the 310's THAT much better?

I will use this new cab for small gigs, sometimes paired with a ampeg 15E. And also for a personal monitor at the larger ones with PA support.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Although both the Epifani and Bergie are fine choices, I would take a look at the EA NL-210. It is as pure a cab as I have ever heard. Sounds like you're playing through studio monitors. Uncolored, clean and pure. It will totally reflect your sound.

BTW, I am an EA shill. So take what I say with a grain of salt, if you wish. But if you are looking for a truly wonderful cabinet (which it seems like you are) - you owe it to yourself to add this to your list

Mike Dimin

here is a link
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I am partial to Bergantino because I use them! :D I think the Bergs add slightly more coloration to the sound than Epifani. Not like Ampeg coloration but more like a modern hi-fi speaker with some flavor. I used to use Acme and I decided I hated ultra hi-fi flat frequency response type speakers because they sound stale to me so I was looking for something with a bit of color. Berg was what I was looking for in every category. The beauty of the Bergs is that they let the character of your instruments shine through. Never played through a 310 though...

The HT 210 is a fantastic stand-alone speaker with adequate volume for small and medium sized gigs.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use (and recommend) Bergantino... best speakers I've ever owned. However I don't have enough experience with Epifani to compare/contrast.

I do wish to point out that the Bergantino HT310 is no longer in production. It has been replaced by the HT322 model, which contains two tens and one twelve (and a tweeter). Lots of people 'round here highly recommend the HT322.
  5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The EA only gives you your flavor, not their own. That is why I love them so much.

That seems a bit contradictory to the first statement. If the character of your instrument (along with your strings, your techniques, you head, heart and soul) is being colored by the speakers, how can the cab let the
  6. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    To me "colorless" speakers sound stale, dry, boring whatever. I had Acme speakers and I disliked them mostly because they were too transparent. Not good for what I want in my sound. On the other hand I dont want an Ampeg SVT because thats a degree of coloration that completely changes the way my instruments sound.

Bergantino speakers are much closer to the "colorless" end but not entirely. A little coloration that improves the sound (IMO) as opposed to "flat frequency response" which I do not like. I mean they arent Euphonic Audio but they are nice speakers. Let me rephrase:

"They let the character of your instruments shine without sounding stale which is how speakers claiming 'flat frequency response' sound to me."

Is that better? :rolleyes:
  7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Yeah, much better. Although I would disagree about the "stale" concept. having a speaker that starts as colorless allows you do add the color in increments from whatever source you want (EQ, Preamp, compressors, stomp boxes, etc). You don't put yourself in a position where you are trying to remove a certain manufacturers "tone". I think you site Ampeg as a perfect example. I like the option of building my tone frem the ground up - mostly coming from my fingers, my attack, my phrasing, etc.

Let's not get too carried away with the discussion as wel are talking about some of the finest cabs out there. For most, the differences are miniscule (at least compared to SWR or Ampeg). For some those small differences mean everything.

I have heard people claim that Acme's are flat, but I've never really heard them so I cannot speak to thier accuracy. I can say that the accuracy of the EA NL-210 amazes me.

The only thing that I am trying to say is allow the NL-210 consideration in this process. Personally, I feel that if they are all played together the EA would win, hands down.

8. I've been playing through a Bergi HT112 for about a year now. I've played through other Bergi's and they all have a simular type of sound. Hi-Fi with some added zing........I will say that Bergi's are a lot less colored than say Hartke, Ampeg, SWR, or Eden but not as "Studio Monitor-ish" as Acme and the like. They have an added clarity in the lowest portion of the bass and a bit of added grunt that I just love. I can't comment on the Epi's as I haven't had a chance to play them. Many people on this forum write highly about them. I don't think you will get hurt with any of the above choices.................and...........
  9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I used EA's for a couple of years then started using Berg's. After using the Berg's for about 6 months now all I can say EA's are the best cabs on the planet. I don't like the Berg's at all. The EA's have so much more presence and I actually hear what my bass sounds like, not what the cabs want them to sound like. I'm selling my HT112's and going EA's all the way and will never leave them again!! True story!
  10. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Do you work for EA?
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    FWIW, I own and gig with EA, Bergantino and Epifani cabs. Here's what's in my current arsenal: Berg HT112, H115, HT210, HT322; Epifani T212, T310; EA CX310. The Epi T212 is the older horizontal cab and the EA is discontinued. I like them all VERY much for similar yet occasionally different reasons. The Bergs sound great and work in a variety of rooms and outdoors and I enjoy mixing 'n matching them. They have good clarity yet nice punch. Not totally flat sounding but rather open and with a very nice top end. The Epi's are rich in the low end and very punchy. I like them for more traditional gigs. To my ears, they are not as "modern" sounding (whatever that means) than the Bergs. The EA cab is just amazing. It is indeed VERY flat sounding and uncommonly revealing. The sense is that they are completey full-range. This cab sounds great with the Woods Ultra but really seems to have some synergy with the EA iamp600.

I'm keeping all of them!
  12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    This I have already said. Many here know that I am an Endorser for EA amps and cabinets. I endorse their product for one reason. IMO they are the best. Having some minor press in the bass industry, I could and have been offered endorsments for companies that would provide me free gear and would offer me some tour support, etc. EA does not offer that to players who endorse their products. In fact most, if not all, EA endorsers pay for their products and EA offers no tour support, co-op ads, etc. I pay for my gear because I beleive in it. I pay for my gear because I refuse to sacrifice a sound that I have worked years finding.

To answer your question, specifically. Although I am not an employee of the company but I do some work for them - mostly writing for the web site, manuals, catalogues and at times they ask me to try a prototype for my input. I have never made a secret of this. For this work, I am paid ... and as my wife can tell you I charge way to little for the work that I do. It is because I feel like I need to support EA. Maybe that is backwards in this age of the "gear whore", but it is truly how I feel. If I was not clear, please know this, I pay for all my EA gear.

Additionally, I only stated that EA is an option that someone considering Epifani or Bergie should try. I clearly mentioned that all are great cabs and the differences between them was small. I did not bash anyone else's product or person. I did not purposely post negativity and then conveniently delete it so those already posting here could read the attack. Read the last line of the questionable comment and it is obvious that the post was written fully with the intention of later deleting with the damage already done.

I hope that it is now clear to you who I am and where I am coming from. It does me no good, nor this forum to be duplicitous.

Mike Dimin
  13. Benavente

Aug 14, 2002
    Mike, if you get paid from EA, your an employee. An employee of EA Cabs 'suggesting' EA Cabs to end user=SPAM!
  14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

Let's take this to a logical conclusion. Brian pays you for basses - his he your employee? I am a sub-contractor. The definition of an employee has to do with many things including the total % of income derived from a single source, whether or not the employer takes withholding taxes out, etc. I am a sub-contractor. I write for many other sources including bass magazines, publishing companies, other companies outside the music industry, web sites, etc as well as gigging and teaching regularly. I am SELF-EMPLOYED. I know this because I pay both the employer and employee part of the social security taxes on a quarterly basis.

your acting like a good politician (perhaps if building basses doen't pan out) - your deflecting the issue which is: Brian purposely wrote something he knew was wrong and then intentionally deleted it - still getting his message across. It is, however, noble of you to stick up for him.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey Mike.....thanks for hanging around TB and giving us your opinions. I appreciate comments from people like yourself. I really don't care who you "work" for.

EA gear is awesome, anyone who plays their stuff will tell you that. It's not like you are here telling us all to buy some lame brand of cabinet.

As for me.....I almost had me a couple EA 110's, but I don't have a good enough amp to power them.

16. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I think its more of a shill as opposed to spam. Nothing wrong with that according to TB rules.
  17. Is the EA NL210 in the same price range as the berg and epi. 210's? Is it a durable cab?(transporting at least once a week) How much power can it take and still live to tell about it?

Also, when looking at the freq. response, and lowest usable freq. I notice the berg and epi are a bit lower than the EA. Does this make a huge difference on the low end?

I'm curious of this because I looked at the ashdown abm series and all their 10's freq. response only goes down to 75hz. How much does this factor into being a "full range" cab? I'm confused.
  18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    It all depends on what kind of tone you are after (the bass guitar and preamp or head used will have a large impact on the final sound).

The Bergs are colored, but it is a very musical, tube-ish type coloration. The have a very solid low-end, clear, smooth midrange, and the sweetest treble I've ever heard from a bass system.
    My HT322 sounds great mated with a Dem 201S, especially when really cranked.

From what I've heard the EA's and Epi's are a tad bit more articulate down low, but the differences are relatively small.
    Again, your bass guitar and preamp will make a big difference in the overall system's sound.