Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino or Epifani

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djshawn47, May 13, 2004.

1. Bergantino

40 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Epifani

33 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. Which brand's cabs would you choose...

Is there any difference between the two besides the name. I hear that they are very similar cabinets.

Advice....

Im looking to get a Berg 322 or an Epifani 410.....a cabinet in that size range. Looking for a very clean, uncolored, transparent cabinet.

Thank you.

2. do a search, man. this topic comes up about once a week.

i voted bergantino, because that's where my money went. i have the HT-112 and love it. it's the best cabinet i've ever played through.

robb.

3. This post is really aimed at those players that have played through both Bergantino and Epifani cabinets. I realize there are many players who love(own) either the Bergs or the Epis, but if you haven’t played the other one, then you can’t give a subjective answer to the question at hand.

Please don’t refer me to the search engine…….You try entering “bergantino vs epifani” or just “Bergantino” or “Epifani” and see what kind of results come up.

I don’t have the time or attention span to try and read 500 posts, to try and find the 6 members that have actually A/B’d the two Cabs and give an accurate answer or at least a subjective one.

If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it, if not……why waste your precious time on my post?

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I a/b/c bergantino, epifani, and accugroove cabs every few months and I keep walking away thinking the berg 322 is the best sounding cab made. The berg and epi both have a touch of color, the berg maybe a touch more than the epi, thats probably cos the epi sounds a touch thin to me compared to the berg. The 322 wins hand down on the high end and when the mids are up in volume, with the right eq I can get a bit of ampeg growl out of them (for lack of a better term). They can also be very solid and clean. The epi 410 mids dont realy sound scooped but thiner than the 322. People on TB say the epi 410 is goes lower and that maybe true but to me the 322 has a bigger more powerfull low end than the epi. So to me, the 322 "sounds" lower and deeper. The epi has the 410ul so that might influence your choice. I have two berg 322s so Im biased toward berg cabs but the epi410 is very nice and I will probably get one some day (Ill still keep the 322s). The difference between these cabs dont seem as big as when you compare ampeg and swr. The 410 and 322 are both top notch!

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Do a search on these cabs, theres lots of info. :D (sorry, couldnt resist ;) )

6. Thanks Inazone!

7. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    I'm shopping cabs myself right now.

For you guys using the Berg 112(s) and pre/power amp set-up, does it bother you that the amp rack hangs over the sides of the speaker cabinets?

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    joeybcdt
    You could always set the amp on its side next to the cab if it bother's you on top.

djshawn47
    Try contacting a dealer that offer's both line's of cabinets. You can get a better answer in comparing the two probably dealing with a dealer who handles them and knows the ends and outs of the two.
    The Berg and Epi sound very different from each other. They are a cleaner sounding cab then a lot of the market, but do have a touch of musical voice geared for bass players. Neither is a flat stereo cab. They are both designed to sit in the mix with the Guitars and Drums and be heard!

The Epifani running flat and un-eq'd with tend to have a little more bottom end to it and a littl more lower mid. The Bergantino is clear/brighter and more aggresive on the top end with higher-end mids. Both are wonderful cab's and can obviously be adjusted via eq to shap exactly what you want out of it.

Best of luck and you really won't go wrong with either!

Thanks
    Brian

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I more or less agree with this assessment. I own and regularly gig with Bergantino EX112, HT112, HT115, HT210 and HT322 as well as Epifani T-212 and T-310. For me, the Bergies have more clarity while the Epis have a more pronounced low-end.

10. Yes! So I bought a Walter Woods Ultra. Just kiddin', it did bug me a bit but not that much. I got the WW beause I want a small deluxe alternate amp, now the rack rig is the alternate....

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I never set my amp on my speakers and I never will again. I have a 4 space pre/power setup that I set it on its side next to the speaker.

12. +1

i really enjoyed the epifani T-210 i played at the lakland shop in chicago, but the bergantino HT-112 is the best cabinet i've ever played. that's why my vote and my money went to bergantino.

if i were to buy anything larger than my HT-112, it'd be an NV-215. i haven't played one, but i am confident that it's what i'd like, never having heard one.

robb.

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Did you read the NV215 review in the latest BP mag? Right now I would really like a vintage Ampeg SVT with an NV215/610. :rolleyes: :D Then I have to setup some stadium gigs... :bassist:

14. it just arriveed today. i am salivating at the thought, but ihave been able to resist for almost two hours now. unfortunately, i have to modify some XXX Super 40 guitar amps now that i am done wtih my break. i liked the skold interview.

i'm interested in what they have to say, but i can't say that i would have voted the aguilar GS-112 as top tone if i were doing the voting. i don't generally agree with their assessments of gear (of course, i don't generally agree with anyone about gear), but i've found i can translate what they're saying to be useful to me.

robb.

15. I think it's kind of funny that my amp weighs more than my cabinet, but no, it really doesn't bug me at all.

16. RCZ,
    I always go by what I like and hear. I can tell I agree with BP on a few things like the Demeter pre's, Laklands and the NV610. I have all of this gear and it is great. The NV610 is just what I need for bigger gigs usually outside. I have a hard time hearing when playing outside and I needed tall an punchy in yo-face bass. The tones are superb too. I just may have to take a chance on the NV215 sometime, not that I need it. I mostly use my HT/EX 112s sittin' on a Auralex Gramma, also just killer as all Bergies are. When I tried Aggie, Epi, and EA I was not as impressed, but at the time I didn't have either amp rig I'm using now and I'm sure that would have made a difference. I've gotten tons of tone/sound compliments since using Bergantino too. I get a big scoop of tone juice tonight.... :bassist:

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I prefer the darker aggressive sound of Epifani to the smooth clarity of Bergantino.

I think a lot of it has to do with the other parts of your chain. My basses are pretty bright, so I like some dark to balance them out.

Like it's been said though, how could you possibly go wrong with either.

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas

I put both quotes together cause I checked djshawn47's profile and he lists using an Ashdown ABM 500.
    From my experience the ABM500 has a heavy, low tubey tone.
    That needs to be taken into account when matching cabs up to it (if that's what djshawn47 plans to use).

I would suspect that a Berg HT112 + EX112 combination would complement the Evo pretty well, my next choice would be the HT322 (or NV610 -- which I haven't heard yet).

djshawn47, you should definitely audition whatever cabs you are thinking of getting, because this is all about personal tastes.

Good luck.

19. Thanks guys, Ive since changed my rig...Im running the Aguilar DB680/728 combo.....

As much as I thought the ABM 500 was awsome...the above rig is "not in the same ball game, its not even the same sport!"

Its amplification heaven....

I have 2 GS 112s, and im looking for another cab that sounds completely different...(very transparent,Hifi, and clear sounding ) but not Accugroove.

I feel like im leaning towards the Bergs

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Hey Todd, have you tried the Bergie NV series cabs? When I want a more aggressive tone (which is a lot lately!) I use a Bergie NV610 instead of my HT's. Obviously the NV610 won't be as full-range as a ported and tweetered Epi cab, but even so I'm interested in how they compare.