Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bergantino or gk neo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnightmare, Jan 1, 2005.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well im looking to buy a rig soon and ive already know im going to go for a gk 1001rb-II head. but cab wises im still stuck between 2 cabs.

im thinking of either getting a bergantino NV610 or getting a gk neo 2x12 and later adding a second neo 2x12.

i know everyone loves berg and i hear that they sound so great thats why i considered getting the NV610. but on the same note ive been hearing about the neo 2x12 sounding fabulous with the 1001rb-II head. and i cant try out either cabs where i live so im at a loss right now. can anyone shed some light and tell me about your experiance with either of the 2 cabs.

the only thing about the NV610 is that im worried about later down the road getting sick of carrying it around. and the neo is more portable. but still im so conflicted. any help would be much appreciated.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Have you considered any of the other Berg cabs?

3. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well the ht322 only comes in 4 ohms and like getting 2 of the smaller cabs i dont know if it'll be loud enough getting like 2 2x10 berg cabs. thats the only reason i considered the nv610 only. and i dont think i want to get a 15" cab cause i dont want really boomy bass. im mainly only considering 10's and 12's. but i open to hear suggestions. but as of now im just looking at those 2 cabs.

4. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well i just looked at the ht322 and noticed it is a 12" plus 2 10's. does that cab provide huge sound? the thing is i dont want to get that and later say man i with i could be able to add on another cab cause it just ain't loud enough.

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive had both the ht322 and nv610 side by side a few times. I think they are both about equal in volume with each other, but they sound different.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I have a Bergantino set of HT210 and HT115. That with 700-100 watts of power and your ripping. The HT322 is going to be close to that in spl I would think. Same as the 610. I'd be real curious about the GK NEO 2-12 scenario myself, and in your case where you plan to add TWO eventually, I can't imagine that setup disappointing. I have a GK head my self and am considering the NEO series as well for portability reasons. I think after the initial thrill of a new cabinet wears off, and your faced with having to lug them around after a year, the weight and bulk factor if large, can become a bit onerous. Combining smaller cabinets for me is my favorite route personally.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

My suggestion would be to call Jim and find out when the new sub112 cab will be coming out. The new HT210s with the soon to be sub112 is going to be right down your alley.

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a Bergantino HT322 and it can get VERY loud if need be. It definitely has a huge sound if you want it to. I did an A-B comparison in a local music store with the NV610. The NV610 sounded great, but keep in mind it does not have a tweeter/Horn. So the highs are more vintage sounding. It was a GREAT sounding cab. Then I plugged into the HT322 and again, I quickly realized this is my sound. The HT322 also was deeper and had more authority on the low B string. If you do any sort of funk sounds, or even occassional slaps and pops, I think the HT322 is much better suited.

If all I was playing was classic rock, I might prefer the NV610. But I play Blues, R&B, Funk, Jazz etc. I need the versatility of the HT322. That's my .02 worth. I would also recommened a 1x15 and 2x10 for a great huge sound that is modular. Personally, I like the casters on my HT322 and it sets up fast since I roll it in with tmy amp rack on top.

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

Sub 112.......

I bet that would be sweet with my HT112.

10. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    haha all this talk about bergantino. any sayers about the gk neo 212?

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sub 112??? :confused:
    Is that not the same as the EX 112?
    Please enlighten me!

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Pump your brakes big guy,
    The GK neo 2x12 has just hit the stores. Some TB"ers here have tried them out and all I saw were good reviews, whether they are better than the Berggies I don't know. I played the Berggie cab(1x12+2x10's) and I was more than impressed with the sound but at 90+ pounds I don't think so!

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ;)

It's the same size cab as the HT210s and is designed to be used with the 210. I've only heard the prototype, which I hear pales in comparison to the new version, and the one I heard was incredible. It goes deeper than the HT112.

As for pairing it with a 112 cab, it doesn't work with the prototype at least. The seperation between the cabs was too obvious. The sub112 and the HT210s were definately made for each other though.

Honestly, I'm hoping to see Jim make a sub112 to go with the HT112. I prefer the sound of the 12" speakers to the 10's. Maybe a new version of the old HT212 cab that has the quality of the 112 but goes lower.

14. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I'm not able to comment on the Neo cabs and I doubt I'll ever be able to. I'm completely happy with my nv610 and 1001rb.

15. I've only heard a bergie briefly once. I thought it was dark sounding. I don't remember what model it was. The GK Neo 212 on the other hand is absolutely incredible. Current users include Nelson Braxton of the Braxton Brothers, Norm Stockton, James MacDonough from Megadeth, Derek Allen with Lionel Richie, Kyle Ziegler from Kutless, Curt Smith of Tears For Fears, Todd Johnson, Kristin Korb, Adrian Garcia, and the converts are still coming. Wayman Tisdale tried them out and has decided to switch from the RBH series to the Neo. One of the really cool things about this cab is it's versatility. You can switch playing styles without having to tweak your amp and get great tone every time.

16. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    man its to hard to decide i wish there was a place near me where i could try out both cabs.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Now there's a comment I've never heard before.

18. Heya Dan,

i thought coz you worked for GK your not allowed to pass comment on other companies products?

19. Yeah I really shouldn't make comments about other brands, but I figured my description was neither positive nor negative so shouldn't be a problem. At the time that I heard the bergie, we were comparing it with an Accugroove elwhappo. The bergie was darker and the accugroove was brighter. That was before I worked for GK. I have not done an A/B comparison between the GK Neo 212 and either of the other two cabinets.

20. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Classy Response Daniel. Bravo! I own a Bergantino HT322 and it is anything but dark. Very clean, clear and even tone. I would LOVE to check out the GK Neo 212. Looks incredible for it's size and weight. How well does it withstand a low B String being slapped for all she's worth? My Bergie is glorious on low notes. Full deep and responsive.