1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergantino Reference Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott McArron, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Scott McArron

Scott McArron Supporting Member

Looks intriguing! Please, discuss! :)

Bergantino Reference Series - http://bergantino.com/product-category/bass-guitar-speakers/reference-series/

From Bergantino.com:

"The Bergantino Reference Series is the new benchmark for high-quality bass guitar amplification. The Reference series are available in two driver configurations; 1-12” w/ Tweeter & 2-10” w/ Tweeter. The Reference series employ precision tuned cabinets, built with the finest 100% Baltic birch plywood and are covered in a rugged tolex finish for pleasing aesthetics and long-term durability. They also employ a rigid black metal grille to protect the drivers and eliminate the tone robbing acoustic absorption associated with cloth grill designs.

The internal components utilize high quality, custom designed woofers along with a superlative sounding, compression driver mated to a constant directivity horn. The constant directivity horn ensures consistent coverage throughout the audio spectrum, and a custom designed, phase coherent crossover seamlessly mates these components throughout the critical crossover region. Reference series woofers utilize ceramic magnets w/ vented pole pieces and the low-end is full and round. Along with their high power handling capability, the Reference series are a very versatile speaker cabinet; excelling at both finger style and pick playing, and due to their tight-creamy low end are an excellent choice for slap-style as well. Bergantino’s Reference series cabinets produce an accurate, full-bodied and authentic representation of your bass guitar in both live and studio settings."

HeavyJazz and HolmeBass like this.
  2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Next step from the HD's?

Munjibunga likes this.
  3. wellso74

wellso74 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    interesting.....

4. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    The only remaining HD's on their web page are the 210's, so it appears as if the reference series is their next generation of ceramic driver-loaded cabs. With a compression driver/horn taking the place of the tweeter, I would be curious to hear the differences in how the highs disperse.

David A. Davis likes this.
  5. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    I really like my B|Amp & HDN-410 rig but at some venues, the 410 is a bit big onstage. I was considering a HD-210 for those stages.

Hmmm. Pick up a used HD and save some $$ or wait for the Reference?

6. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I dig the HD series cabs. I mostly use an HD 112 HD210 combo. I had the HD 410 as well but found I preferred the overall tone of the 112 and 210 together and the volume difference is very minimal in any situation I run into. And I like being able to just take the 112 to smaller gigs

Scot likes this.
  7. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I also use the HD-210 and HD-112 together and separately on occasion.. Great cabs..

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I always wonder if Jim gets any sleep!

ByrChiPro, Al Kraft, Buszkock and 2 others like this.
  9. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Heavy cab - 44 lbs for the 1x12". I'm guessing the 12" driver is going to be pretty meaty.

I'm guessing this is Bergantino's take on a 'flat' cab, similar to Barefaced 'Big' series, fearFUL, Fearless, Audiokinesis, Acme, and Wayne Jones.

I guess it all depends on the drivers, but if it's loud, then it won't go super low, like the new Wayne Jones cabs. Those guys have huge drivers that can go meaningfully down to 30-40 Hz....apparently.

Wait for more speaker and compression driver info I guess, as well as the quoted specs. Would be interested to see someone open one up and examine the drivers.

10. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I often wonder the same!

I will say the HD series are great cabs. But, seeing that he is moving to the new reference series. They must be special. I am guessing there is more going on in the top end.

11. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Well I was a big big fan of that B&C hi-freq driver on the 4X5 aluminum horn flare that Jim used in the original HT Series so this move back to that familiar format is welcome. That horn is going to offer more detail and extension compared to the tweeter he has been using which for extended range instruments will be helpful. Nice to see this change in the product line offer a different vibe sonically. I'll be curious to try one out. One thing that this larger horn offers is the opportunity to re-voice the cabinet and I'll assume there is a lower crossover point which will really make a difference in the upper mids.

12. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    It appears like the tweeter may be the same one that's used in HG cabs. The HG tweeter does something dynamically special to the top end, imo...

tombowlus and rodneyat like this.
  13. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    The HT series sounded great as a makeshift pa/music playback system. Will be a very versatile setup with the Bamp.

Doug Parent likes this.
  14. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I can never decide whether to turn off my tweeters on my HG310's, dial back the treble or use a LPF. They sound great, but for studio use they also clearly reproduce any hissy stuff emanating from the bass and/or amp.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  15. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I just saw these in an email today. Gotta check it out!

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I loved the original HT cabs too, I've said it before, if I didn't all the sudden become old, I would still be hauling around my old HT212 or 310.

murphy, KPO2000 and Doug Parent like this.
  17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    True... those larger drivers go higher than the smaller tweeter does. This may be a god send for some and too much of a good thing for others. I'm glad Jim is offering a different flavor!

18. TalHaz

TalHaz Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Spring, TX
    MTD, Trickfish
    surprised there's no 212 configuration on this model.

19. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    I would like to "reference" the frequency response curve those cabinets but once again none is given. If I missed it, please let me know.

20. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    In this day and age of bass equipment, I suspect that it is difficult to sell 80 lb cabinets in sufficient quantity to merit their development and production.
    Just my $.02

Doug Parent likes this.