Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino.........um WOW

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TSanders, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tried some Berg stuff on Saturday. I wanted to downsize my rig a bit, and tried a number of cabs this weekend. I went to five music stores in the Atlanta area. 2 GC's, Midtown Music, The Atlanta Bass Gallery, and Atlanta Discount Music.

Id been more than pleased with the GK 1001RB-II/Neo212/Neo115 rig Ive been running for a while, but wanted to try a few new things and again, hoping to downsize a bit.

Anyway, tried a number of Bergantino products, and was VERY impressed. Went ahead and ordered an HT210S. I couldnt believe that 2x10s could sound like that. Never been crazy about 10s (preferred 12s and 15s), but this 2x10 cab KICKS. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, after playing the HT210S for a while, I was just speechless.

So thanks to those who have been raving about the Bergantino stuff (Tom B, Pat and Ken come to mind first). Worth the hype, BIG TIME.

2. Pasty, you never let me down.:D

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I became interested when I read good reviews here and at the Fender Forum. Then I tried some myself when I visited NYC. Now I own four Bergantino cabs. :)

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Bergantino is simply the way to go- I own the 610 and the HT 210 :D

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ya ought to hear Tom's HT-212 (that is sitting in my closet right now) if you liked the 10's. Probably the best, full range single cab I have heard. Well okay, those new sadowsky 410's kick ass too...but this is close!

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I played out of a Berg 2 15 2 8 and it was massive. :bassist:

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My Bergie HT112 has served me well for a few years now.

8. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    My Bergie HT210S is da bomb!! I bought it a month ago and bought the EX112S two weeks ago. I got them both from Atlanta Discount Music too. I get my Crest CA-6 tomorrow. Life is good!!

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great to hear it! I am still a fan of many brands of bass gear, but Jim's work is just so darn impressive across the board. What I find really exceptional is that it's not like he can only do one type of cab. You have your "hi-fi" (and I mean that in the good sense of the word!), full-range unpowered HT cabs, the compact, somewhat more punchy S series cabs, the "new vintage" NV series cabs, the "flat is good" and unholy loud IP series powered cabs, the efficient/punchy/articulate/"works with tube amps" ported Sadowsky cabs...

It kinda makes you eager to hear what's next! :hyper: Jim has discontinued more killer sounding cabs than many manufacturers can come up with over a lifetime of development. :D

Tom.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Was this some kind of prototype? I've never heard of a 2x15/2x8 Berg. Are you thinking of the 2x15/1x6 NV215?

Tom.

11. +1 This sums up my opinion too.
    The Man ain't scared to of nothin'!!! Great inovator.
    Plus... he has a great sense of humor. :D

ONCE AGAIN. Will someone ... in the near by NW Indiana or Chicago .... PAleeeeease get the Berg line so we can audtion some gear. Sheeeeeeeze.

12. +1... nice stuff. I wish someone would help Jim in estimating the market demand for some of his innovations though.... lot's of time, hard work, and I'm sure lot's of money and 'retailer goodwill' down the drain on all those discontinued products that (I assume) ended up not really selling.

A great idea that nobody wants does not typically translate into business success!

That being said, I very much enjoy my HT210S... very nice, unique sound.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Neither does a great idea that people would want, if they only knew about it... ;)

14. +1... not sure that's the case here... but who knows!

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think that there is an issue with people actually getting to hear Bergantino cabs, and a related issue with brand awareness. I mean, not to knock Ampeg, but I just can't imagine why someone would voluntarily pay more for one of the newer Ampeg 8x10's than they (would have) paid for an NV610. The NV610 just kills it in tone/clarity/punch, and it's much more easy to transport. But Ampeg sells far more of their 8x10's than Jim sold from his entire NV line in a given year. Obviously, Ampeg has greater market saturation and a name that has been associated with bass gear for, well, forever.

I am of the opinion that Bergantino cabs are very price competitive (looking at Jim's fixed pricing versus the street pricing for other cabs), but it does seem like they have a perception of being more expensive than they actually are. Just price out a bunch of 2x10's sometime. :p

So, I guess I am still thinking it's a market presence and 'relative unknown' issue, plus just needing to get more people to actually hear the cabs, moreso than a 'the public just didn't want it' issue.

Tom.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh yeah that could be it , I played through it at Rudys in Manhattan.

17. Makes sense... distribution can kill a small manufacturer. This seems especially so with cabs. It's one thing for Dave Funk, for example, to sell his amps off a website and ship a nice little 15 pound box. It's another thing for a cab maker to have to ship each large box to his customers and make it a success. However, I guess Jorg Schroeder is doing it, so there really aren't any rules or easy explanations.

I'm so interested in the Marketing perspective on this stuff (as you can tell by my posts on the subject), and to see which manufacturers develop (or stumble upon!) a new product with a real 'selling hook' with the consumer (like Jorg's... small but incredibly loud', for example) that causes quite a buzz and a lot of sales, versus other ideas that seem like great ideas and that sound good (or even great), but never really capture the bassist community's interest.

I guess that's why the new product failure rate in virtually every industry and category is about 95%.

OK... enough of that... back to bass!!!!!

18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Very cool! I have a 1001RB-II that I use with the older berg HT 210. I have been thinking about trying one of the GK neo cabs to use the bi-amp feature. Primarily because I think could be very useful for taming highs on my piezo equipped upright. Any general comments about the gk vs berg cabs?

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if only jim did something w/ neo drivers... :bawl: