1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergantino Vs Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pointblank72, Apr 29, 2010.

1. pointblank72

pointblank72

Dec 14, 2009
    Cairns, QLD
    Hi guys,
    I'm curious to get the opinions of players among us that have played both bergantino and aguilar cabs and which one they preferred. Any extra info would be great such as what sort of music you play, the amp driving it (especially if you used the same amp for both cabinets, coming up with a definitive answer out of the 2).

These 2 makes of cab seem to rank pretty high in the realms of top end cabinets and as I'm over in Cairns, Australia, it's basically impossible to try this sort of gear out before ordering it up from Sydney or Melbourne.

I have been through the reviews and threads on here and both these cabs rate highly, however I'm curious to see how many prefer each one particularly and for what reasons.

Cheers again everyone, all input is greatly appreciated.

2. I owned the Berg HS410 and Aguilar DB212. Sold the Berg, prefer the DB212.

I'd still like an NV610 or set if Berg 1x12s though, but not with the pricing as it is in Europe.

3. pointblank72

pointblank72

Dec 14, 2009
    Cairns, QLD
    Yeah the NV610 is actually the one I've been looking at, and it seems to get the nod of approval from a fair few guys on here. Cheers for the info though.

4. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    I used to have GS 212 and GS 410. I used them with the 500W Aguilar head.
    Now I'm using two Bergantinos: HT112 and EX112 with a Markbass TA 503.
    I prefer the Bergs all the way. Tighter lows, fuller sound, the GS is a bit shy in the middle comparing to the Bergs. And the highs are so smooth. Warm, tight, full sound. It does not matter if it's my 77 jazz or a fretless, or a modern active 5 stringer.
    It does not mean, the Agular is bad at all! Basically, these two have been my best cabs ever. The only cab which was comparable is the HR 410 form Markbass, but it's a different animal. Very nice mids, but a little bit short in the low registers.
    Regarding the Aguilar DB series, I have never played them except in shops. I think I would like them because I love strong mids. But the overall winner in terms of sitting in the mix is the Berg. Two 12s are enough for everything in my case: small clubs, medium venues, outdoor events. OK, I am not playing on stages like Tool, and I'm playing funk, soul, jazz and genres where you do not have to compete in volume with mad guitarists.

5. pointblank72

pointblank72

Dec 14, 2009
    Cairns, QLD
    Cheers for all the info Dezspet. One of the reasons I was looking into possibly the Berg 610 is because I am in a heavy rock band with a LOUD drummer and a mad guitarist, so sitting in the mix is definitely a major factor for me. I'm currently struggling a bit through a 410 and I'm deciding on whether to get another 410 of the same type (avatar) or go for something more top shelf in terms of the Bergs or Aguilar cabs.

6. NV610 is the perfect rock n roll machine...but I can't use cabs that big because of transport and space.

7. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    It all depends really on the exact kinda tone you are looking for. I owned both the NV610 and a DB410 at the same time, so got a chance to A/B them extensively with my Aguilar DB751.

What I found was the DB410 was much louder (using the same amp settings. Not necessarily at the highest volumes), a little clearer (even with the tweeter down/off) and definitely tighter on the lowest notes. I was playing in a Metal band at the time and really required fast response on the low B as most of the riffs were based around there.

Now if I had been playing for a band in standard tuning and/or without such fast, low runs in the songs, the NV610 would have also been fantastic but I decided to sell it in the end. If you want a one-cab solution, I think you might get a little more maximum output from the NV610 (depending on your amp's output) since it's obviously more speakers/surface area but I don't want to get too much into the technical side of things here! :p
    I've been playing more kind of Pop and lighter rock recently and still love the DB410, though I'm still G.A.S.'ing for a GS412!!! ;)

I would totally recommend either cab, just as I mentioned earlier, it depends on the combination of response, tone and volume you require.

8. There are so many different Bergantino voicings, and a few Aguilar voicings also, so your question is not really answerable in general terms. I love some of each of these companies' cabinets, and dislike others. Depends what you want.

I don't think either company makes a 'bad' cab, and the quality of both is very good. Some work for me and others don't.

I've played most of the cabs by both companies. For my 'pop/funk' sort of playing context, I like the Bergantino AE410 with a variety of solid state heads... punchy, a bit grindy, loud, light. I also VERY much like the Aguilar DB112's if you are going after a bit more of a vintage vibe.... very punchy in the mids, but plenty of low end, and a nice tweeter up top... great 'modern meets vintage' vibe with a warmly voiced head like the Thunderfunk or Markbass LMIII. IMO and IME.

bass nitro likes this.
  9. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    for me, the answer appears to be Aggie heads w/Berg cabs. That said, the Thunderfunk atop an Aggie cab is right up there as well.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

The NV610, and NV215, are the best large cabs I've ever played.
    If I need a big cab, it would be one of those.
    The Aguilar DB112, is the best 1x12 cab I've played.
    These are bases on tone, and response.
    Both company's are great.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Short question with a very complicated answer. I've owned/own most of the HT line of bergs and owned/own most of the aguilar cabs. What I like about the berg cabs especially the HT line is the focus of tone. I feel it is a little more precise than an equivalent aggie. However, one of my favorite cabs of all time is the GS112. These cabs really sit nicely in the mix for me. Can't comment on the 810.

The DBs as everyone says is a little more midrangy. The aggie 410s (either DB or GS) are LOUD!! Some of the loudest cabs I've heard.

The berg cabs will be good with just about everything. I don't think you can make a bad choice either direction. Depends how much weight you want to carry and how big your vehicle is... Always remember.... at the end of the gig, you gear weighs 20% more than when the gig started

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    KJ kinda hit the nail on the head.

FWIW, bergies seem to have a better crossover and nicer tweeter, but it's all in what you like. Overall aggies seem a bit looser in the lows and a bit more mid shy but it's not across the board by any means. Like i usually say, go try everything you can with your amp and your bass. Something will jump out at you. Good hunting!

13. pointblank72

pointblank72

Dec 14, 2009
    Cairns, QLD
    Cheers again guys. I suppose I wasn't looking for a definitive answer that one brand outdoes the other, and it's great to hear what some of you thought after trying both out, even particular models of each outdoing particular models of the other. As for the models I've been looking into, the DB410 in terms of the Aggies and the NV610 from Berg.

Oh yeah and I'm using an SVT 2 Pro in terms of amp, if that helps with anything. I have heard that Berg cabs seem to really shine when driven by all tube amps but once again that's not personal experience from me.

14. The Berg NV cabs are perfect for a tube amp... sealed design with no tweeter... perfect!

15. pointblank72

pointblank72

Dec 14, 2009
    Cairns, QLD
    Cheers KJung, I was actually just reading your posts in some other bergantino related threads. Sounds like you've had a fair bit of experience with them and rate them quite highly.

16. pointblank72

pointblank72

Dec 14, 2009
    Cairns, QLD
    Hey cheers Vintone, awesome stuff. Looks almost brand new and $400 cheaper. Now I just have to see how many arms and legs it'll cost me to get it up here to Cairns...

17. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I've played very few Bergantino's. I have an IP310 on the way that I've always wanted, so I'm looking forward to playing with it very much.

I've always liked most everything Aguilar has done. The GS112 to me is great. Smallish, somewhat light, and plenty of low end. Some people complain that it's a bit scooped sounding, but not to me.

I also love the DB750, even though some folks complain about the low end bloom. It's never once been an issue to me, but I've never tried to use one in a small setting either. Large venue's or outdoors they sound great.

I really like the GS410 cabinets also. Played an outdoor show a few weeks ago with a DB750 on top of two GS410's, and the sound was just killer all the way around

Back in the day, I really liked the AG500. I think Aguilar has gotten behind a bit though in their "small" amp category. AG500's aren't light anymore, though they still sound great. They are a wonderful example of solid state warmth and grunt, but I do think it's time for them to have a true lightweight head on the market.

I've had Aguilar preamps in several different basses, including OBP3's, 1's, and 2's. Solid performers though that 18db boost/cut can get a young player in trouble quickly!

I have a Tone Hammer on the way also, and I've got high hopes for it, especially combined with the IP310/Summit Audio TD-100 setup. IMHO Aguilar is one of those companies that most all bass players have a high respect for, and something from their lineup appeals to most everyone to some degree or another.

18. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    MAybe someone here have it, Bass Guitar Magazine UK issue 38 or 39 did a 1x12 shoot out. they compared the bergantino to an aguilar db112.

I remember that they prefer the aguilar but only for technical reason if i remember, Pricing,etc...

It would be nice if someone here can bring some detail out from this shoot out..

19. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Guest

Apr 8, 2010
    Since doing some research(some doin research for me-thanks KJung), I'm in the same situation......wanting an Aggie or Berg.