1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergantino vs Ampeg cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Venom of God, May 17, 2011.

1. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Not long ago I ordered an SVT3-PRO (would have liked to try the 7 but since I couldn't try one without committing I wasn't willing to take the risk) to replace my Hartke and would like to get a new cab to go along with it also (my current cab is 8ohms, I'd like a 4 I think).. so far I'm thinking either an Ampeg 410HLF, 610HLF, Bergantino HS410 or NV610.

Is the 610 worth it over a 410 with a head this size? Which of these would better suit the sound I'm after (tight, punchy bass with a bit of growl from my SansAmp)? Any other brands worth considering? Keep in mind the Berg is a bit hard to get here but I've just read so many positive things on here I feel I have to consider it.

2. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Or even an Ampeg 410HE and then another one down the line when I can afford it? I think a single 8ohms cab is more sensible though.

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Based on what you have said your after, I would say yes, the Berg is worth it.

4. d sage

d sage

May 16, 2005
    Cincinnati
    The two cabs sound a lot different. Both good just different. If you have any opportunity to play them side by side that would be the best way to decide. My Berg 322 was the best sounding cab I ever played through.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I wouldn't call the bass 'tight ' on the HLF heads.

The lows on the NV610 are tight as a mouse's ear-hole.

I'll take an easy to move 6x10 over any 4x10 any day, just so much easier to move around.

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    BERGANTINO[​IMG]

AMPEG
    skinny-guy.

7. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    After picking up an NV610 this last weekend, I can say it lives up to the hype. I used it for two shows this last weekend and can say I have found the cab I've been looking for. It's the tightest, punchiest cab I have ever used. I was able to dial in more low end then I usually use, because that cab stays tight all the way down.

8. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    I have played through the Ampeg, but the Berg I wouldn't be able to try unless I paid for and ordered it. That's if I can get it at all, my local music shop hadn't even heard of them! I just keep hearing so many good things about them on here that make me think they're the cab for me!

9. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    But yeah, you think the Berg 610 would pair nicely with an SVT3-PRO?

10. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    No, it doesn't make sense to get such a great cab and match it with a weak amp.

If you must stay Ampeg go all-tube. I've heard the NV610 with the V4 and it was a very good match.

And yes, I do know that the V4 is a 100W amp while the SVT3 is rated at 450W.

Truth is the V4 is a lot louder/fuller than the SVT3.

11. Venom,

they are available in Australia from Bass Gear direct in Sydney.
    I'd get in touch with george, he is very helpful and should be able to sort you out.

12. BTW, you might want to PM "rodl2005" here on talkbass who lives in Tassie and has plenty of experience and owns a few Berg cabs and Ampeg cabs. He might be able to point you in the right direction. He may even be in your neighbourhood. hehehehe!

13. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    An SVT-VR is my dream amp, but on a student income and with rent to pay the SVT-3 is about the most luxury I can go. I don't think V4's are made any more either, are they?

Does anyone else agree that it's not worth getting such a good cab with the SVT3?

And thanks MG, I'll get onto him and see if I can have a listen to them some time!

14. I'd seriously consider a Mesa Walkabout head, A Genz Benz Shuttle 6 or 9, or Streamliner 6 or 900, or even a Mark Bass LMII/III over the 3PRO.

I had a 3 pro & GREATLY prefer the LMII with a VT BASS pedal compared to the 3 PRO.
    A lotta noise re the GB Streamliner at the moment- but I get LOTSA comments on a great tone with my LMII (& my Shuttle 6.0) via a VT bass pedal - to get that AMPEG sound-far better than the 3 pro does ironically) into the berg NV cab. Or even into my Berg AE cab.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

The Bergantino 610 is the nicest 610 I've ever played.
    Well worth the $$$$.

16. I really feel for you Aussies, you are all charged way too much for your bass gear. I like the tones I can get from an SVT 3-PRO, however, for the same price I would rather have a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II. Get the best cab you can afford IMHO, and of the ones you listed it is the Berg 610NV, I haven't tried a HS410, but I like the 410HLF (the HE is totally different and can't go below 60Hz, IMO without a 1x15 under it it is garbage) I dislike the 610HLF as well because I think they tried to get the best of both worlds in regards to the 810E and 410HLF, and failed to deliver on either of them. I hope I have helped you in some small way, all the best and if there is anyway to try a G-K 700RB-II or 1001Rb-II with a neutral cab and then the SVT 3-PRO after them you will have a good idea of what I am talking about. Cheers.

17. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Just sent you an add on Facebook, Theo is my name. Pretty sure I've actually seen you play before!

I'll look into those other heads, but I did already order and put a down-payment on the SVT3 so it may be too late. It sucks how hard it is in Tasmania especially to try a range of heads/cabs before ordering, I think that I will still be happy with the 3 over my old Hartke though.

Did you get your Berg from Bass Gear Direct?

18. The NV215 I did yes. NV610(no longer with me :-( I got 2nd hand. GREAT cabs!
    The 3PRO is a good amp- I really liked mine, but just felt I could get as good tones from other amps at LESS $$$
    Will check My FB page. Come & Say hi next Sugartrain or Black Coffee gig, they're the only public ones am doin for a while IIRC.
    Or drop me a PM & U R welcome to try some stuff.
    R

19. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Yes......:cool:

20. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    If you can get an NV610, then get it. It really is that good (great). IMO.