Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino vs. Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Dec 3, 2003.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I've been looking at Bergantino cabs lately. And specifically GASing for a NV610 on top of a NV215. Now that would be a killer rig, but my question is, how does the sound of the 610 compare to that of the Ampeg SVT610? I have a vintage Ampeg 810 and that is my basis of comparison for all speaker cabs.

Any opinions on the Berg. setup?

Dirk

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    the ampeg 6x10 sounds alot different than the ampeg 8x10. Ive heard alot of people say that the 6x10 is a more hi-fi sounding head, whereas the 8x10 is more classic sounding. I have the ampeg 6x10 and love it. Dunno just try them both if you can.

3. I can only half help you. I have the NV610 and its great! Very vintage sounding. I have not compared to either Ampeg you mentioned. Sorry, but I don't really care for the Ampeg sound except for the very vintage. Short of lugging around a Vintage Ampeg Monster Head and Cab I prefer the idea of my Berg and Demeter 201s rig. I concur with the previous post and suggest you check everything out, take your time because it will sound different if you test more than once, guaranteed. Everyone's taste is different.

4. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    The Bergantino is a great cab. I highly recommend it.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Bergantino NV610 will sound more like the vintage Ampeg 8x10 than the Ampeg 610HLF will. The main reason why is that both the NV610 and Ampeg 8x10 have no ports and no tweeter. The 610HLF is ported and has a tweeter.

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Fuzzbass,
    Thanks for your help. I A/Bed new Ampeg 610s and 810s at Guitar Center yesterday, but there's something about going in guitar center that messes up my sense of sound b/c I couldn't hear a big difference, which could be attributed to the head, an Ampeg SVT 3 pro. I'm a long way away from affording the Bergie, and hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one to try before I buy one. How did you get an orange cabinet, fuzzbass? That looks pretty sweet.

Dirk

7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Dirk,
    I might have a used [great condition] Berg NV610 for sale. Bought one, sounds great but now playing smaller clubs. No hurry to sell. Let me know if you are interested.
    All the best,
    Dan

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Bottom line is, trust your own ears. If you like the way the Ampeg 6x10 sounds, then go for it!

As for my cab: a couple of the early NV610 cabs were covered with red tolex rather than black carpet, and I was lucky enough to get one. Whether my luck is good or bad is a matter of taste. :D

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The NV610 will give you the old school sound, yet still be clear and not muffled sounding. The Berg NV610 is probably cheaper then either the Ampeg 810 or 610. I haven't checked, but I'm sure their evenly priced if not more then the Berg 610. Jim's prices on the NV stuff is amazing and the tone is equally amazing!! You might also check out the new NV215. I had one in the shop for about a day, which is all it lasted. The 215, WOW it was tuff and the B was super thick and with a wonderfully quick response.

10. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Brian,
    I don't know if you noticed or not, but I'm in Memphis, could you give me directions to the shop... Thanks.

Dirk

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Dirk

didn't even notice.

I'm in Bartlett at Stage Rd. and Altruria Rd. next/behind the Bartlett Code Enforcement and across from the Fire Station.

you can reach me at 901-233-0088 anytime.