Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino vs Epifani

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VoodooChile, Jun 17, 2002.

1. i'm in the market for a new bass rig and i was looking at both the Epifani 3x10 and Bergantino 3x10. they are both about the same price and are both 600 watts. if any one out there can offer some guidance as to which one is the better deal i would be very greatful.

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    From what I hear you should also check out the 2x12's from each company, especially since you play an extended range bass.

3. thanks for your suggestion but are the 2x12s around the same weight as the 3.x10 or atleast that signficantly heavier?

4. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    To be honest, neither is a better deal than the other. They are two different sounding cabs and that's the only true difference between them. This is actually a pretty easy choice, the only thing to balance is which one you like the sound of more. Decide that and your decision's made. Don't have to worry about price or quality or reliability, etc.

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm not sure about the Bergies, but the Epifani's weight pretty much the same. One is 70lbs and the other is 76lbs. I can't remember which weight what though.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have the Bergie 3/10 & 2/12 and they are about the same weight. Both companies make great cabs, but IMHO you should check out a 2/12, from one of the companies before you buy.

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the epifani is now a 750 watt cab. i havent played through one but i have an epifani 210 and its nice and clear with some serious top end if you want it. ive played through the bergie 310 and its also a beatiful thing. you really cant go wrong with either company

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    gotta agree with jonesy,

the berg's got that smooth, rounded sweetness, while the epi's got a more hifi, slightly more aggressive voice.

my personaly choice is with the berg, but see for yourself.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I met a man that had epifani cabs a few months back. That rig was a bad ace rig. I really dug the quality of his cab and the tone. He let me play around with it for awhile... not to mention he let met play on his fodera emporer :D . Epifani is good in my book

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You can't go wrong with either. I agree that it boils down to personal taste -- they're great cabs. I own and frequently use an Epifani T212 and it's easily the best single cab I've ever had.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree with what the others said.... it's all good.

One difference not mentioned: impedance. The Bergie 3x10 is 4 ohms, whereas the Epi 3x10 is 5.3. Not that this is a huge deal or anything.

12. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    Actually the amount of ohms makes a difference.

Anyway I went shopping last summer and tried out both 3x10's with my Ashdown ABM 400. Both are very good cabinets. I agree that the Epifani is a little more hi-fi sounding. To me, the Bergantino had a more agressive sound. Lots of air, plenty of punch, and a real smooth high end due to the horn tweeter. I had to get the Bergie! I went from a paired SWR 4x10 and a Bag End 1x15 (equalled 4 ohms) to the single 3x10 Bergie (4ohms). I get all the sound I want. Don't get me wrong, the Epifani was fantastic. I believe it is a little more compact and lighter.

I have to add that the construction of the Bergantino is beefier. The grill is thicker. He also pays attention to detail with the screw head covers. Good Luck on your search and try both out for yourself!

[​IMG]