Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino -vs- Epifani

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Epifani 4x10

18 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Bergantino 322

40 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I have finially got me pre-amp and power-amp figured out (I am going with Demeter HBP-1 pre-amp and Crest CPX900 power-amp).

I thought I was sold on the Epifani 4x10, but I have heard a lot of great things about the Bergantino 322. What's your opinion? BTY, I am fingerstyle - slap funk player with a Lakland 55-94 with Seymours. If that helps you any.

2. I'm not familiar with the Epifani 4x10 so I didn't vote but I just purchased a Bergantino 322 and couldn't be happier. My set up now is a couple Lakland 5594s (fretted and fretless) with Bartolinis, into a Aguilar DB680, into an Eden WT1000 power amp going into the Bergantino. When I first got the cabinet I emailed Jim Bergantino to ask him if he had any pointers on how to hook the rig up. He wrote back (same day) and said he recommended that I start out running everything flat, with no eq, and 'salt to taste' (his words). He said I might be surprised at how little e.q.ing I would need to do with the 322 and he was right. I now run my amp completely flat and get a much better tone than when I was using my Eden 410xlt with heavy e.q.ing.

3. I voted Epifani but I'd go with the 3X10, moves alot of air and lighter. I LOVE mine.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd go with the Bergantino. It has the better crossover and it has a deeper sound with the 12" speaker in there. This really is the one cab does it all. It sounds huge! The Epifani is good but the Berg is better.

I saw in your other post that you like the SWR sound. The Bergantino cabs have been compared to the original SWR cabs in sound which are agreed to be the best cabs SWR ever made. Also, the Berg would replace the entire system you have now; the 210 and 115.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the Epi will be more hifi and transparent and prolly more punchie due to the 4x10 design.

while the Bergie would be rounder, and sweeter, with prolly a gushier natural low end feel.

depends on what you'd rather have, but...

dood, could you have picked any worse a pair of sweet cabs to choose from?! :p

keep in mind, Epi now does an ultralight version, that would cut the weight of the 4x10 from 99 lbs. to a svelt 75 lbs. has a bit more midrange character in the voicing, but i have yet to hear anyone complain of that. besides, would prolly help in being heard better in a dense mix.

6. I've got the Berg 322. It's great for cutting through and a full round sparkling punchie sound. I didn't care for any of the Eps. Too open "airy" for me. They are all fine cabs and it all boils down to YOUR taste. Try them both with your rig. If you can try them with you band at a rehearsal or gig, that would be ideal.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    As another 310 owner I'll second that.

I had an opportunity to get a 410 at a great price a few months ago, but that thing weighs too much to be worth considering unless it'll be kept stationary or you have some pretty buff roadies.

8. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i think if i were you and going for a solid (mostly)slap sound, i'd go with the 322. IMO the bergs in general a tad geared towards that snappy high end sound many love for slap. The epis (also IMO) are suited a little more towards a powerful fingerstyle sound.

...IMO :D

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Both are great cabs.......but I prefer the Bergies:bassist:

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    How much are the Bergie 322s and how much do they weigh?

kim

11. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

The HT-322's weigh 93 pounds and I believe they list for $1350.00... That of course is the list price and I believe it's sold everywhere for the same retail price...Check out the Bass Player review in the Feb 2003 issue... I had the Epifani T-210 and T-115, both great cabs with nice lows and very warm sounding... The Bergantino has a nice full range sound that sparkles and shines all in one cab... Great lows and highs with strong mids... A real nice presense....

12. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I can't comment on the epi, as I have never played one.

I recently got an HT322, though, and have gigged a bunch with it over the last few weeks. Also have jammed a bunch with a variety of different musicians. Every time I pull the thing out, I get a lot of compliments on the sound from the musicians I am playing with, and they all want to know about the cabinet.

Very full sound, plenty of punch, even response from my open low E to the 24th fret on the G string. Very focused, tight, clean, and smooth sounding. Cuts very nicely. I can't say enough about this cabinet. Best sound I have ever had.

Also, I traded a couple emails with Jim Bergantino when I was making my purchase, and he is absolutely on the ball. Very quick and responsive. Great guy to deal with. Come to think of it, I am gonna send him an email.

Oh, for what it's worth, I am playing 4 string, with a Stewart 2.1 (using 1 channel), and using my Eden WT400 as a preamp, set mostly flat, with various little tweaks depending on the room/outdoor setting. I play mostly fingerstyle, with 1 to 3 songs an evening where I slap. The tone is great for fingerstyle or slap.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    check that, the Epi 4x10 ultralite now only weighs 59.5 lbs.!

14. G
    I private emailed you.
    PM includes my phone numbers if you would rather talk in person. We are very close in location. No shipping is great.

15. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I haven't tried the epifani, but I have a berg. 322 and it is amazing. Plenty of power (I switched from an SWR 4x10 and 1x15 to this cab alone). It is also impressively honest. I can hear the unique personality of each of my basses and most of them I have been running the EQ pretty much flat on. Powerful, punchy, responsive, even cab. Also very nice tweeter, much sweeter and smoother than some of the other horns.

Dave

16. Bergantino's philosophy of how a bass should sound just seem to get me go'en better than anyother speaker.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I've said this elsewhere, the Berg cabs (HT322 in particular) and Demeter peramps are a match made in heaven.

Very smooth, articulate tone from low B up to the highest (audible) harmonics.
    Just enough tubey warmness to make all your grooves just woverly.
    Very MUSICAL sounding.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I really like the combination of my Woods Ultra and the HT322. It does a lot things right.

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I second that, I have the exact same setup !!! It Rocks :bassist:

20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I'm not really fimilar with the model Crest, but the crest are wonderful amps.

Sounds to me like your fan might not have been on or working. Your amp had to have been over heating and shutting down.

Did you contact Crest about the issue?

The new Pro Series a number of guys have here and the LT series Rocks as well, one of the best bang for the bucks no doubt.

I agree with g4string, don't skimp on the Amp, so aften people do and it is the most important part of your rig next to the cab. The Preamp is last IMO!