Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino VS Genz Benz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmerBass, Mar 24, 2003.

1. I am about to order a Bergi HT322(which I have never heard in person) and went to local store and tried a genzbenz GBE600 andXB2 410 cab.WOW It sounded great in the store..Am now debating?..Has anyone tried both cabs?Iam considering the Ht322 and getting aQSC PLX power amp and the eventually getting a good preamp..Or? Help!!Thanks in Advance...Jim

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Jim,

I've tried both at GuitarX here in Denver. I personally feel that the HT 322 is a wonderful cab that I preferred to the 410T-XB2. There's a big difference in cost so the Berg should theoretically be better. If money was no object, I would go with the Berg but I could be very happy with an XB2.

With that said we can get back to the real world for most of us. I currently own three of the standard series Benz cabs and I feel that even they compare very favorably to a lot of the other products that are out there. I will own me a couple of them XB2s!

Now for some thoughts on the GBE series heads. I haven't had my hands on the GBE 600 but it's little brother, the 400, is sure a contender! I wish that they made a preamp based on that 600. :(

3. Thanks, Do you think that a GBE600 head would go well with the HT322 or would seperate PLX amp(more power?) be bettter for the cab? I am in a quandry with being in the sticks and not having access to compare, It may be worth the 4.5 hour drive to Denver to compare..

4. being unbiased (i play a mesa head and custom cab), I did A/B them and found that while the XB2 is an awesome 410 (it smokes every other major 410 out there: SWR GIII, Eden XLT, EBS [imho] and Ampegs (all of em, incl the PR's), it is totally outclassed by the 322.

Its kinda like this: Even though a Honda Accord is a totally capable and enjoyable car, the BMW 5 series will out-handle, out-accelerate and out-comfort it for most people.

The 322 is just shy of being a 410 in terms of sound pressures, so if you are needing to push whatever single cab far into its upper tolerances, perhaps the added speaker cone area will be to your benefit (ie: you play with 2 Triple rectum-friers stacks pegged out and a drummer who plays with cement sticks). IF you dont need that much volume (and the 322 will pump, tho), go for the berg.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    As I said earlier, I haven't tried the GBE 600. The GBE 400 surprised me though. It's got a lot of balls. I can only imagine the 600 being more impressive. I think that the 410T-XB2 is rated at 700 watts rms. The GBE 400 that I tried did a nice job of pushing a 410 XB2 and a 212 XB2 at the same time.

There's lots of Bergantino owners on the board and they may have a better answer for you regarding their power requirements than I. Most of the feedback that I've gotten have favored more headroom. GuitarX has both of the cabs in stock right now and I'm sure that Gary would love to see you. :)

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have not heard the exact cabs you are looking at but I have owned both the GenzBenz and Bergantino 1-12 boxes.

The Bergantino is better built and really does sound better. The GB is not a bad cabinet at all but the tone is less defined.

If you can afford the Bergantino you will be much happier with it especially at high volumes.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

To me, Genz Benz makes the best bass cabs available on the market, no less.

I'm partial to Glockenglang too, but prices don't even compare.

I haven't tried the GBE600, but I've heard it's extremelly loud.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Berg 322 is an unbelievable cab! It is really the one cab does it all. You don't need a lot of power for it but I would highly recommend the route that you were going to go with the QSC. That HT322 would kill with the extra power. You'll never want another system again. Just add your favorite preamp and you're good to go.

9. I play the HT-322. I have not tried any Genz Benz cabs. The 322 absoultley kicks! I use a QSC PLX 2402 and a Demeter VTBP201S and I'm very happy with the whole rig. If you can afford it go with seperated components. I would say Berg cabs NEED a good PA type amplifier to get the most out of the cab. There are many good amps and preamps out there. Try them with your band. Most companies have a resonable return policy or trail period. Really though, you can't go to wrong with one of the QSC-PLX or Stewart 2.1 (from what I read) Preamps, I would recommend trying the either Demeters, Aguilars, Kern, Alembics, for tube type. I know there are some fine SS pre also, like Walter woods etc. Good Hunting!

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Demeter/QSC/Bergantino combo is where it's at! I also like to split the signal of my bass and go into a Raven Labs PMB-1 and then into the poweramp along with the Demeter. This gives the signal even more punch and presence.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Berg and Genz Benz aren't in the same league. IMO both are excellent values for the price, with Berg price being significantly higher.

I was extremely impressed with the GB 410XB in the 4x10 shootout I did over a year ago... I thought it held its own at showroom volume against others in its class: SWR, Eden, Aggie, Ampeg, etc. I borrowed a GB 410XB from a friend and thought it sounded great both @rehearsals and a gig. Apparently the XB2 series is as good or better.

I wound up getting Bergs and I'm much happier with them, but again, they cost a lot more.

12. Thanks guys, I think I will be heading to the bergantino cab, I just need to decide on power.. Either the genz 600 or a qsc plx. I think the qsc and demeter would be the way to go , but alot more $$$...

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Jim,

I'm not trying to tempt you into doing that 4 1/2 hour drive but Gary from GuitarX just emailed me earlier. He has a Demeter VTBP-201S in stock that just arrived on Wednesday. I'm going down tomorrow to check it out. It will me my first time trying that preamp. :)

14. Charles,Let me know what you think about the demeter..That is the unit I would like to try as well... Jim.. Does anyone else have an opinion about the demeter preamp over other models lets say?

15. Just wanted to tell you, not warn you that it takes a little adjusting to the "PURE" sound of the 201S. I was used to that "colored sound" but it didn't take me long to appreciated how great my whole rig sounded hearing my bass's tone. Both my acitve Lakland 4-94 and Lakland Jo sound superb. I just adjust the Dem to suit the bass. Not much tone tweaking going on unless you do it from your bass. Don't forget the Demeter does not have a external "master" adjustment. Instead it has one knob that adjusts the volume of the preamp. It does however have and internal adjuster if you really need to boost the signal. I did adjust mine up from he 12:00 setting to about 1:30. Depends on you bass I think. I wouldn't mind havig a few preamps, but I've tried a few that didn't impress me enough to buy. I still like the Demeter. I tried Aguilar 659, Kern, Alembic. All very nice! I would someday like to try the big Ag, but I'm not much of a tweaker. I would like to re-try the Demeter HPB again too. There are some great SS units too and heads like Walter Woods etc.