Bergantino vs. Schroeder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well. I'm starting to think about my future rig. I've narrowed it down to these two companies..... Bergantino and Schroeder.

I've never played a Schroeder, but all of the good things I hear about them leave me room only to assume that they are awesome. I've played a Bergantino minimally (spellcheck?), only about 5 minutes or so. It was also a long time ago and I was just testing out a bass, so I wasn't really paying attention to the cab.

Basically, right now I'm looking at either getting a Berg 310, 322, 210, 212, or a 115 (haven't quite decided yet, as you can tell). One of those, or a Schroeder 1210, 1010, or 21012.

How do these cabs compare? Also, which preamps go well with them? I'm planning on getting a QSC PLX power head of some sort to power the cabs, but have not yet decided on preamps.
  2. goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    are you considering an Ht-112/Ex-112 combo? Theyre pretty sweet, i think you might dig it, not EXTREMELY hifi, but articulate and very nice. I dont have much experience with much else, but the 322 is sweet.

Other people will have more things to say and have more knowledge than i, but dont rule out the mini stack, they do get loud and sound GREAT! not to mention very portable.
  3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Just talked to Mr. Bergantino about my cab. GREAT GUY. I have a 310 and like the sound. The 322 is a little more fuller sounding than the 310.

The 310 I think is one of the best sounding cabs but not necessarily the loudest or most agressive. It is a very sweet sounding cab. The 322 is a little deeper, and is a great cab.

The 210 and 115 combination with the right amount of power is killer.

I haven't heard the Schroeder's but you can't go with the Bergantinos and their customer service. I know Schroeder is a member of the TB community and everything I've heard seems positive.

Good luck
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Just wondering what you narrowed it down from? I heard the Epifani stuff this weekend and I was floored. The UL 310 is simply amazing. Out of you choices I would go with the Schroeder.
  5. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I just sold my Bergantino 1X12 to get a new Schroder cab. I played them at the NAMM show, and quite frankly, I dug the tone of the Schroder WAY more.
    ...good luck!
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am very happy with my Avalon U5 / QSC PLX 1202 / Bergantino HT112. Justthe one cab is all I need at this time as I don't play any really loud gigs without PA support. If I did, I'd add an EX112.
  7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Berg mini 12 stack: :hyper: !!!
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Joshua said. In addition, I play 5-string through my HT310 and it delivers the lows. I'm sure the HT322 is even better in that regard, but the HT310 is just peachy. I sometimes supplement mine with an HT115, but that's for volume and not for tone.
  9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I own a Bergantino HT322 and I compared it with the 310. Both have a very similar sonic quality, especially in the mids and highs. The 322 however was better on the low B string than the 310. The 310 got it done, but I was able to make it choke and fart out a little. Can't do that with my 322. It NAILS a low B string loud, soft and anywhere in between.

I also recently tested an HT112/Ex112 mini stack. Mind blowing greatness! The HT112 was not enough for me as a stand alone, but the two cabs together were MUCH bigger sounding than the sum of their parts might lead you to believe. What a GREAT Mini-rig. The Bergi Mini-stack is truly deserving of all the praise I've read here on Talkbass.

Never had the pleasure of playing the Shroeders, although I'm sure they are wonderful. They are known for cutting particularly well in the live band mix. You cant go wrong with any of these fine speakers. Good luck and keep us posted!
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have not heard several Bergantino cabs or combinations of cabs.

I have heard the HT112, HT212 (discontinued), HT310 (discontinued), and owned an HT322 for a little over a year.

All these are great sounding cabs, the HT212 is a bit dark sounding though, the HT112 I don't feel I had enough exposure to, the HT310 I fell in love with (really beautiful sounding cab), the HT322 has more balls in the low end than the HT310, and I play a BEADG bass so that's what I went with.

I now own a Schroeder 410 and for my taste, I prefer it to the Bergs I've heard for your basic live gig. It has an incredibly punchy tone and very solid, powerful lowend. I like the overall balance and the tweeter blends in very well and is very musical.

If I did solo bass work, I think two HT310 would be hard to beat. I'm still dying to hear a Berg mini-stack (HT112 + EX112).

In general, the Schroeder cabs really have a good cut-through tone and projection for music with a band.
    The cabs with 12's are a bit thicker sounding in the bass and mid-bass. The 1212 is a bit rounder and louder than the other two-driver cabs. I haven't heard the 1010 or the new 3101212.
    I suspect that either two 1210 or a 1212 + a 1010 would cover just about any indoor or modest outdoor gig you're likely to encounter (as will the 410 or 21012).
  11. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I've not heard of Schroeder until now... looks like I'm going to do a Google search after I finish this reply. I'm waiting on a Bergantino NV215 to arrive way out here in Honolulu. This particular cab has 2 x 15" and 1 x 6" speakers. Supposedly handles 600w at 4 Ohms. There is no Bergantino dealer here in paradise; therefore, I purchased the cabinet strictly on what I've read over the internet... comments here on TB, as well as other sources. There are a couple of Eden dealers here, and I listened to a 4 x 10", a 2 x 10", and they were as clear as a bell... I just read what I thought to be more positive comments regarding the Bergs. I like to move a ton of air, that's why I went for the NV215. I'll be happy to post another comment when the thing arrives... approx. 3 weeks from now. I'm a long way from Austin, Texas... Aloha!
  12. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    They are definitely two different sounds.

I highly recommend you hear both (even A/B them if possible) before making your decision.