Bergantino ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kaybass1952, Dec 2, 2004.

1. kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    I have a WW Green Light-(MI 200-8 ) that I run with a Bag End S15 and an Eden 210T(both 8 OHMS & sensitivity of 103 dbs).I 'd like to get a lighter and smaller setup. Either a Berg EX12 to use with the Bag End or two BERG EX12'S

Given that the Bergs sensitivity is 97 DBs -

1) Would the Bag End match with the Berg?

2)Would the two Bergs have much less volume output than my current setup?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated-Thanx
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Take that 97dB number with a grain of salt.

I also have an MI-200-8 and for a while I used an HT112 alongside an Epifani T112 which has a 100db sensitivity spec. They sounded equal in volume to me.

Remember that number is based on 1KHz which tells you nothing about the sensitivity elsewhere in the spectrum.
  3. I have actually found my Berg 112s to be louder than most cabinets of the same or sometimes larger specs. I think it has to do with the midrange response of the cabs. With my Ashdown, I rarely ever turn the master past 9-o-clock when running both cabs. Usually, I am told to turn it down by the sound man! I often do just fine with my amp and one 112 on a milk crate. :cool:
  4. Hi, I was waiting a bit to repsond because I have no experience with Bags but would love to try them out. I do however have the Bergs HT/EX mini stack mostly using a Walter Woods Ultra. It is my favorite of all time. The Bergs sound great with other amps too.

Gowl made me think of something that you all might want to think about. I have almost always used both my Bergs in live situations, but recently I've started using just the HT on smaller gigs, jams, and rehearsals. What is different now ?? Well I'm put Flatwounds on my main bass and it is amazing how I can hear myself better in a six piece band with horns blarring away, with just one cab at rehearsal that is. I might even try it live in one of the boomy rooms as the extension EX may be adding too much booty... ?? Anyway I'm just blown away by the Flats these days.. so solid and punchy. My bandmates are starting to notice the difference too. Of couse this all fits in with my style and type of music we play. And yes even the slap sounds pretty impressive. Heck, Chuck Rainey used flat and slapped on the Aja album with Steely Dan. ;)
  5. I really like the tone of the single 112 cab, because I can crank it more and it gets really sweet! It doesn't have as much booty as the pair, but it still rocks. Unlike many speakers I have tried, the Bergs seem to like being pushed hard.

Big String, I am dying to try some flats on one of my basses. I have a fretless P bass that I might give them a whirl on pretty soon. I assumed the Bergs would reproduce that big warm sound nicely.
  6. O-MOMMA! I have Sadowsky Flats on my Sadowsky and Lakland Flats on my Lakland.... They are both nice Flats. :)
  7. kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    Thanks for everyones feedback.Since the Bergs aren"t available to try in my hometown, your input makes for a more informed decision. I'll probably get one (to start with) in the New Year.(after those Xmas bills are paid) .
  8. If you don't like it give me a call I'm working on my second stack.... However, I won't expect to hear from you on that subject. Happy Holidays and enjoy the BERG. And don't forget to pump some juice into the little monster.