Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrandonS, Jun 6, 2001.

1. BrandonS

BrandonS

Nov 15, 2000
    I was able to try out the 3x 10 and 2x10 with a GK 1000 head. I AB'ed them with a EA 210 and 208. I think the Bergs were more crisp. It sounded like I had taken a blanket off of the EA stuff. Did anyone else get a chance to try these out. What do you think?

Brandon

2. Brandon,
    Funny you should make that comment about a blanket. I went to a music store here in Atlanta that carries Bergantinos, and the salesman told me that compared to a Bergantino 3x10, the Eden 4x10 sounded "like it had a baffle in front of it." I did an A/B/C test with a Bergantino 3x10, a Bergantino 2x12, and an Eden D410XLT (which is what I play through.) I used a Mesa Boogie 400+ amp. Now, I should note that both Bergantinos were 4 ohm cabs, and the Eden was an 8 ohm cab. To my ears, the Bergantinos sounded only slightly clearer, and the extra edge of low-down dirt and growl from the Eden gave it more life. And, both Bergantino cabs "farted" when I hit the E string hard (of course, being 4 ohm cabs, they were getting more juice from the amp.) I liked the Bergantino 2x12 better than the 3x10. But, in the end, it wasn't great enough for me to sell my Eden and then spend an extra $300 or so. But, the Bergantinos are undeniably nice and good-sounding cabs.

3. I wonder if the apparent loudness thing isn't actually a very big factor in cab choosing. To be more accurate, I would think having a dB meter at the store and setting each to the same volume would be a good thing. Betcha things would sound different if both cabs were at the same loudness level.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As bass players we seem to be, as a group, more than willing to jump on the next big thing;)

I still haven't had a chance to check out a Bergantino but I'm hoping this pattern doesn't continue (the "this blows everything else away" thing):

In order, from memory... (after SVT's and Acoustics)

Hartke
    Bag End
    SWR
    Eden
    Trace Elliott
    Acme
    Euphonic Audio
    Epifani
    Aguliar
    Bergantino

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Aguilar
    Bergantino
    Whayne Jones.....sorry

6. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah, Brad, it reminds me of nightclubs that "go out of fashion": after awhile their draw goes down because they're "old", so they close their doors, renovate, re-open under a new name, and all of a sudden, everyone shows up to check them out!

- Mike

P.S. I'm not saying that's what's really going on with bass cabinets, but some of this sure seems like it!

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Didn't mention Wayne Jones. I've been in contact with them for over a year.

People make such drastic tweaks on their gear I wonder how much these ultimate cabs actually play into the sound?

I just spent what seemed like the entire day in my favorite local store (too much time on my hands). The sound favored by most of the people I talked to was a seriously scooped mid sound. Example: Tobias 5 string, bass and treble control maxed, mid control full cut (on the bass), smiley face on the amp EQ.

That's like fingernails being dragged across a chalkboard to me. People were really loving this sound.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Be careful when you listen to those cabs!!!

I recently asked a reputable dealer who carries both Epifani (which I own) and Bergantino (which I don't, but some good firends have been bugging me to try) what the diff is. He said "both are great, but Bergantinos have more aggressive mids".

OK, now compare that statement to the statements in here like "more crisp" and "It sounded like I had taken a blanket off". Since many of the last wave of popular cabs (SWR, Eden) have scooped out mids, bringing back lots of mids will sound, um , more crisp :)

I'm going to try an Epifani-Bergantino shootout soon but I will make sure I also see what a little EQ can bring to the party :)

9. It all boils down to your own personal tastes.I've tried all kinds of basses through the Bergantino cabs and they all sounded great.I've tried the SWRs,Ampegs,Peavey,Fender,Eden and so on and have really liked them too.I would like to try Euphonic Audio and Epifan,but there is only so much money and space in my budget.Either way,bassists are constantly looking for the ultimate tone.Some find it and stick with what works for them.After joining TB my G.A.S. got worse.So, whenever something new comes out I have to research it or try it out, if it can be found in my area.The only reason why I tried the Bergs was that the people at Alpha Music told me Keith Roscoe was recommending those cabs.Naturally that sparked my curiousity.Ever since,that's all I would rather play,but that's just my personal opinion,nothing more.It's just a matter of time before the next "big" thing comes along and "blows" away "everyone else."
    Forget the hype and what you've heard from other players,just try them for yourself and determine if they are for you.It's your money and you have to live with your decision.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    True.

11. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    One more for you guys....Bergantino developed the cabs for epifani. Now he is making his own line of cabs. I wonder how much of a difference there is going to be between these two companies. There will be one but how much is the question. I have tried out the 310 by bergantino and it blows me away. I have tried out the 310 by Epifani and it blows me away. They to me seem pretty close in sound.

I am a EA guy. IF you are looking for a 310 that is just killer in sound and size and looks fantastic then check out the Euphonic Audio VL-310. I have A/B/C it with the Berg and the Epi with a Ultra Walter Woods head. I have never heard a cab like it. It is so clean and reproduces the bass like no other cab. And there is no flutter in the speakers on the EA when turned up past 7 on the amp. With the other cabs they did start to flutter in the sound. When you hear the saying "crystal clear" that is what this cab is. And the low end is unbeleiveable. This cab is unreal.

12. ::sings:: Don't cry for me Bergantino ::singing flushed down toilet::

Yea, I know, lame joke......

::sings again:: The truth is I never played one... ::singing off::

13. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I know for a fact that he definitely designed the 310. The reason being I know an endorsing artist. I can get Epifani at cost for what the artist that I know can get it for. He told me that there was some friction with Epifani and so he is creating his own line

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Get me one;)