Bergatino 322 or Eden 410 XLT or ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GRoberts, Jan 7, 2003.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I am building a new bass rig to complement my Roscoe LG3005, 5 string bass. I am looking for a clear, pristine, articulate, responsive hi-fi sound that won't get lost in the mix. Previously, the sound I associated with was always with an amp like and SWR SM900 and a Goliath III 4x10.

Right now all I have is a Workingman’s 12 which is fine for rehearsals and for acoustic style coffee house gigs. I need a club caliber rig now for my funk, R&B, Blues/Groove oriented band. I want a single cabinet if possible to keep things simple and to fit in the car. I also have a post about amps. I'm considering the EBS Amps or an SWR SM900 mostly.

I am considering a Bergatino 322 (1x12 and 2x10's with bergie tweeter on one cabinet) No one has them locally, so I can't hear one before buying. But there is a Bergantino 2x12 I can check out.

I am also considering an Eden 410XLT or the Goliath III 4X10. (in that order) I played the Goliath and it sounded very good, but was even better when supported by an SWR 1x15 Son of Bertha cabinet underneath. That's fine but is more gear to schlep and try to fit in my car. I'm looking for the “One” cabinet that will fulfill most of my needs for most gigs. I can still use my little Workingmans 12 for the tiny coffee house gigs where sonic superiority would be wasted on people who would ask me to turn it down anyway. Sigh. You know those people? They are the ones who invariably sit closest to your speakers. Ah, but I digress.

Opinions and comparisons of the Bergantino 322, Eden 410XLT or Goliath III 4X10 cabinets are very welcome. Any other options that yield an awesome Marcus Miller, Kim Stone type of sound would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Gary
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    both are killer cabs, and i'm sure you'd be happy with either.

but i like Bergie's 322. at rudy's, i ran thru one with an Eden WT800, and WOW, like buttah. trebs were hifi, w/ a very smooth midrange, and equally juicy/rich bottom end.

most Eden 410XLT's i've tried, have been really edgy yet meaty. very aggressive sounding, and sooooo inyourface! compared the smoother Berg. but remember, i was using an Eden WT800 which has those characteristics. the amp might have accentuated those characteristics even moreso. soooo, YMMV.
  3. I cant put my vote in for Eden. Not after spending a bit of time with the 322. It is hands down the most incredible single cab ive played to date. I have a GIII that has to be augmented with a 112 (i prefer to not have 15's in my rig). THe 322 has such a smooth and rich bottom, the "sub" is unneccessary. In light of the previous post, i find that the Eden is very, shall I say, confrontational. The 322 has killer mids that cut. Unlike some mid-aggressive cabs that only have that one tight "sweetspot", the Bergies have a reputation for being perfect in a mix, usually regardless of the rest of the combination.

edit: i did not see that it was you, Joker.
    Folks: Listen to this man, he's always right on!
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Very well put. That is my experience with other Bergantino cabs, and I'm sure it's true for the HT322 as well (at this point I'm actually afraid of auditioning the 322 :eek: :p )
  5. My Berg 212 is awesome and I'm checking out a 322 for the top, or optional for big outside gigs.
  6. evidently, VERY BIG outdoor gigs. :eek: :) The 322 is very competent, the 212 I hear makes a huge statement all on its own.
  7. 78
    Yeah, I hear it all the time. I'm 51 and gear is my passion... Really though I'm selling some of my surplus stuff and I think the 322 would be a great alternative to my 212 in closer quarters for some addtional close range stage punch. The 212 is great, but the tens might have a little more punch. Now.. If were outside like at Navy Pier in Chi town were we play almost every summer, the 322 on top or next to the 212 would be awesome. I don't really think I would need it there, (they have great sound renforcement and engineers) but some of the festivals I'm sure I would. Anyway I want more stuff, period end. :D
  8. ME TOO!!!!

I am soo, soooo jealous! have dun with my cabs! ;)
  9. 78
    Give yourself a break man, your only 25...
    When your my age you'll hopefully have some reserve and play money. One of my methods through the years was to save all my gig money and reinvest. By some realstate and reap the profits. I hope President Bush's new plan helps us working class schmucks..

I have to admitt I've purchased a lot of stuff by trial and error. That is what I love about this site, it has actually saved me some money.

Anyway, you'll get there Kiddo. More important, become a "better musician" and then "they" will start giving you stuff.:D
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If you can try the Bergie 2/12 go for it....and listen to the high/low makes Eden/SWR moot IMHO;) Go for the 322!.....I hear it's the cab to beat these days! Plus Jim Bergantino gives the best service I have ever seen:cool:
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No doubt. A very responsive, helpful cat.
  12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

I couldn't resist!:p
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe... thx PB! :D

you da man too!