bergie 1x12 gets the nod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 7, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok i know this topic has been talked to death - lol
    despite what bp said in its 1x12 shootout i have always found that 2 cabs sound better than one - more low end and full
    in the past i only got to try one bergie 1x12 in the past and it sounded pretty anemic compared to their ht322
    a few days ago i got to try 2 and boy do they sound great!! - definitely better than a 2x12
    fwiw epifanis sound great too as well as a lot of other manufacturers too
    really neat that you can carry around a couple of lil boxes and be able to compete with a stack as long as you got some watts to pump into em
  2. That's interesting. I also tried the Berg 112 and 322 side by side. Believe it or not, I liked the soundof the single 12 better. Obviously it didn't have the same kind of volume, bu I found it tighter, and punchier sounding. While adding another 12 does sound great, I think one Bergantino 112 has more focus than two.

By the way, now that I own an Aguilar GS 112 and a Bergantino EX 112, I can safely say that the Berg is much better. I'm not sure where the BP people came up with those reviews.
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Some alternative viewpoints on the HT112/HT322 comparison:
    Qualifying disclaimer: I've never played one or more Berg 1x12(s) live.
    With my bass (SR5), I like the midrange of the HT322 better than one HT112.
    If you play a EADG...whatever bass, the low end response won't be that big of a difference, but for a BEAD...whatever, the HT322 seriously kicks in the bottom half octave or so.

Could it have anything to do with the fact that Aguilar spends a lot more money advertising in BP?
    Hey, just asking.
  4. Inthepocket

Oct 3, 2003
    These bergs sound tidy......noone imports them out here that i know of though.......but ive been seriously considering grabbing an epi 212 .....but i havent had a chance to give the 112 a crack...

Has anyone heard the comparison of:

two 112's Vs a single 212 in the epifani??

and are the 112's 8ohm or 4ohm cabs?
  5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the 1x12s are 8 ohms, the 212 are 4
    in my opinion the 212 by epifani is probably the best 212 i've ever heard
    bergantino's is muddy by comparison
    the 2 1x12 by epi will probably be a little more "cutting" in the midrange and not have quite as much low end - personally either is a wonderful choice
    the only reason i shy away from the bigger cabs is portability and size
  6. Inthepocket

Oct 3, 2003
    thanks man .....i'll have to look into it a little further ...but the 212 sure does sound sen'fargin'sational....
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Any one tried a new Berg 210 yet, how about with a EX112? I agree that the only area the 2 112 set up shows any weakness is in the lowest notes for me its C and B. the new 210 goes low...

8. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    BP is so biased its not even in contention. But can you blame them? That's what puts bread on their table and what keeps upper management from shutting down the mag altogether.

How about the Epi 112 - it's definitely in the same class as the bergie, but not as smooth and nice (which I like). The Aguilar is NOT in the same class as Berg, Epi, EA, accu, etc - and it's priced accordingly.

One thing of note however, using the iAMP 800 and that amazing deep switch (much more than most manuf.'s deep switches) it makes the single Epi 112 almost sound like a pair! (except in volume of course).
  9. Hey, there's a boat load of folks that prefer the fat bottom of the Aggie to the relatively flatter response of the Berg, Epi or EA 12's. Just check out the threads in this forum, folks love it.

I like that sound myself for much of the music I play, but prefer to start flat and EQ to get the sound.
  10. I still haven't tried an Epifani or an EA, but I've heard good things, and I know that they're both a whole lot more expensive than the Aguilar. The funny thing is that The Aguilar GS 112 and the Bergantino EX 112 cost exactly the same. It's a matter of whether you want a really nice cab with a tweeter, or a freakin awsome cab without a tweeter, that usually doesn't even need one.
  11. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Excellent point -- I actually prefer the sound of one or two EX112s (though I haven't bought one yet) -- and Jim told me they go up to 5khz even without the tweeter.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I just picked up a Berg 210 and this cab slams! IMO it was the best standalone Berg cab besides the 322. I AB'd it against the 112 alone and in a pair and also coupled with the 115. The 210/115 combo is probably what I will go for in the future (maybe 210/210) and possibly a 112 as a standalone. I thought the 210 had a lot more presence next to the 112 with my upright. I didnt use the 112 pair much because I dont plan to go that route but the sound was very impressive for such a tiny stack. Im so impressed with the Bergs that I will have a few of them when I come across the loot. Probably a 210/115 combo for large gigs, 210 for medium gigs and a 112 for coffeeshops and such. Berg is my sound! :D :bassist:
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Two Epifaini T-112's is indeed a great thing. But throw a T-110UL into the mix (with either one or two T-112's), and it really, really improves the overall articulation, clarity and balance. One T-112 with the T-110UL if formidable. Adding a second one really upgrades the room shaking ability.

Another 12 worth mentioning is the Wizzy 1x12. It doesn't have a tweeter either, but still provides plenty of high end detail. Yes, you notice it when compared to a cab with a nice tweeter (like an Epi), but it holds it own quite well. In fact, for a single cab, I actually prefer it to a VL-208, although two VL-208's or a VL-208 with a VL-110 take a slight edge over the Wizzy.

Two Bergies is still a great way to go, though. I doubt you would be disappointed with that setup.

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah there are a lot of great options out there
    i'll never get rid of my bag end s15d and s12d either - in fact i wanna get a bagend coaxial 15
    the bag end 12 is an unusual animal - its kinda low shy and not best freinds with a 5 string but it has one heck of a midrange cut
    i got an aggie 112 in a complicated trade and it's ok but i much prefer the bergie or epifani sound
    actually the aggie 12 with the bag end 12 sounds pretty killer
  15. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  16. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    are you a distributor?
  17. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    No, just an excited consumer. I just ordered more material to do my 1x15" cabs.:bassist:
  18. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    that's cool. so you said it sounds MUCHO differento. In what way?
  19. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Tighter lows, better mids. The cab is not as "woofy" sounding.
  20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In the BP shootout it seemed like a close call and I think Aggie got the nod because some folks really like a fatter, darker sounding cab (the text does mention this).

I used to bring my Berg 112 to a jam I host but most of the jammers complained "not enough bottom :confused: and too trebly" so I went back to bringing an old EV 15" that has that low-mid hump and they were all very happy.

The one jammer who's a slap monkey flipped over the Berg fit his style like a glove.