Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergie HT-112 in dah house!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Sep 10, 2005.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Needed something smaller than my Schroeder 1210 as 80% of the my playing is going to be sans drummer.

Awe-some!

I'll refer you to the excellent reviews of BigString and TomBowlus if you want to hear about the tone.

Thanks guys! :) I think.... :eyebrow:

I ordered the EX to go with it this morning. As much as I like the Schroeder, I might let it go because I need the modularity. I thought about the Mini 12's, but I have always wanted to hear the bergies. Also, I've been hearing around here that my Ashdown ABM500 is a great match for the bergies. Confirmed!

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :D

Bergie 112 stack and Ashdown............match made in heaven......welcome to the good side.

3. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yes! Thanks EM, your comments concerning the Ashdown/Bergies definitely played a role in my decision...

I can't believe how dinky this thing is!

4. Cap,
    Glad you got one. I've always been impressed with the HT112 and continue to be. It's my small cab solution. I really the like the EX with it too but have recently grown to prefer the HT112 alone, but of course that limits the usage because it's not nearly as loud. The focus of the single HT astounds me. In the right setting it's hard to beat. I recently read a post about using a HT112 alone in a small to medium auditorium type room (very echo-ie, for speech only). I play in another band with just this type of room. I first used my HT112 by itself and was suprised at how well it did with a 14 member band w/horns. I thought I was staining it and then brought my EX the next time. It was actually harder to hear.... :eek: After trying the Accugroove TRI112L in that setting I then tried the HT/EX again the next rehearsal. Neither set up did the trick.... :rolleyes: I then went back to using my single HT112 and wha-la... everything was good again. I love Accugrooves and Bergies so much! I was impressed at how the Schroeder 1210 cut the mixes too when I owned one. Many have said that it is a great time for bass gear... how true.

5. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    this is great to hear, I just bought TheDude's HT/EX stack. I Can't wait for them to come !

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good call, IMHO. Let us know how this rig works out for you!

Tom.

7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Yes, Yes, Yes! I UPGRADED from an Aggie 2xGS12 to the Bergie HT/EX about 2 months ago and I have been SO (inspired, thrilled, psyched, moved, motivated, pleased) with the Bergie cabs. Granted that cabs are just one piece of the signal chain, but they really gave me a/the sound out of the rest of my chain (BBE B-Max-T, QSC PLX 3002, all 5 basses) that I had been seeking. The only downside of the Bergantinos is that my addiction to G.A.S. has been snuffed out. The thrill of the chase has (most likely) ended.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Don't worry, Jim makes lots of other cabs too...... :D

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    More Bergs in New Hampshire is always a good thing!

Candia huh? Did you know that there's a great bass teacher living there who teaches at Berklee? Jim Stinnett. Check out his website online.

10. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Actually, that sound pretty good at the moment... :)

I just need to stay away from the amps forum in favor of the technique and general instruction forums.

11. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    hey emjazz, i didn't even notice your location. Yes i know do know Jim, he lives about a half-mile from my parents. Where are you in Southern NH ?

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey, I'll PM ya!

13. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but...

How's the HT/EX ministack compared to the HT322?

Do they sound quite similar with the biggest difference being portability or are they different animals?

14. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Do a search on posts by "Roscoe5" - he's got both and has commented on the differences. The 322 will definitely have more oomph, but it's like 100 lbs. :(

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've got the mini stack and have played the HT322 many times although I don't own one (yet :D ) The mini stack is more focused and tighter. Although it does sound very big for it's size (VERY big actually) it doesn't touch the HT322. This probably seems obvious though. The HT322 sounds gigantic. There are those however who've mentioned having difficulties hearing themselves on stage with the HT322. I don't own one so I can't comment on that. I will say that I got to hear a great bass player in Boston playing through his and it was the most balanced bass sound I've ever heard coming out of a bass cab ever. I was shocked. The good part is that all of Jim's cabs have an ability to fill a room. The sound just seems to envelop you. This happens even with my Berg 112's.

If you want a more focused sound than the 112's are great. If you want a bigger low end and you want to cover more cone area than go for the HT322. Be aware though that the 322 likes a bit of power. It really opens up around 1,000 watts. Not to say you can't use less but it seems to excel with 1,000 watts or more.

For what it's worth I match my Berg 112's with an Ashdown EVOII and it's an amazing rig to say the least. I do dream of having the HT322 with an Aguilar DB750 though. Even if that were to happen I would definately keep my current rig.

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My Eden WT-550/Bergie HT112 rig is probably the best sounding, most portable rig I've had - and I've had a few. It works for upright and 5 string electric. It's loud. I've never needed more than what it can put out. If so, that's what the PA is for.

I've tried to go combo, but I can't get past how much better the Bergie sounds than anyting else. The Eden head doesn't hurt, either.

17. Emjazz
    I'm going to have to try my DB750 with my HT/EX cabs soon...
    They sound fabulous with my CA9/Dem201s or my WWU. Great Cabz :D

18. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    combo schmombo - you can't beat what you've got in a combo, IMO.

EDIT: I've not heard the Epi combos.

19. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

I'm having wet dreams about an HT322 with an Epifani UL902. :D

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Having owned the HT322 and heard some sound clips of the Epifani preamp, I'd say that should be a VERY good match-up!

[I suspect the Berg EX112S + HT210S would sound tighter and punchier -- if that's your thing (it is mine).]