Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergie HT/EX stack & amp question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ric426, Oct 4, 2005.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I just got a mini stack and have decided to try a different amp. I've read all the threads I could find and it sounds like the ABM 500 and Thunderfunk amps are good choices, but they're hard to find used. I don't recall any mention of using an Eden WT-550 with them though. Has anyone used an Eden WT-550 with a mini stack? If so, what did you think of the combination? Did it have enough power?

2. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    Good afternoon:

I have the same setup; use it for small and some medium sized venues...using a bridged stewart 2.1 and the cab's aren't breathing hard...they're power hungry.

Call Mr. Bergantino yourself---he'll get you straight.

RC

3. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    I personally recommend the WT-550. I spent some time at Bass NW, and tried several amps with those cabs. I thought the Eden sounded the best to my ears, and was plenty loud enough! Great tone... very clean.

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    3000w bridged mono from a PLX 3002 with a BMax-T gets my Bergie mini-stack's attention. :bassist:

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The very best combination that I have tried is my Walter Woods Ultra. The iAMP 800 is pretty good driving them, too, as is the Thunderfunk. If you check out my blog, I compare the WWU, iAMP 800, TFB420, and Walkabout with these cabs (and with an Accugroove Tri 210L). Here is a snippet from my blog:

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Ashdown ABM500 works really, really well with the BMS.

7. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Jim Bergantino recommended the ABM 500 as a good choice when I emailed him. I wish they weren't as heavy as they are (I've gotten spoiled by the light weight amps) and were more common on the used market. I've always been curious about Ashdown amps though, so if the right deal comes along I may still give one a try.
    I'd like to try a Thunderfunk too, but used ones are even more scarce. There's always the option of a new one, but I don't think I'd want to buy anything in that price range without first getting to try it for myself.
    That leaves the WT-550 as the most likely option. Not hard to find used and I've used them before, just not with these cabinets.
    Has anyone used a Mesa M-Pulse 600 with a Bergie stack? That's another amp I've been curious about but never tried. Don't know about the used prices or the weight though.

8. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Hey Ric,
    Go to the Thunderfunk website. You can buy it online and Dave will let you try it out a few days and return it if it's not what your looking for, minus shipping.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Hit the Bergies with more power, and they bloom. It's not crazy to use a 1000-1200 watts on that mini stack. Bergs are just that way.

10. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    +1

Mo'

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    FWIW, the first time I heard the HT112/EX112 was up at Low Down Sound, and I used a WT-550. They sounded pretty darn good, and this is what started me on the path to Bergdom. :p

Tom.

12. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I am very weight sensitive, and the Ashdown doesn't bother me at all. The handy carrying strap somehow makes it pretty easy to lug around - I had stuff of the same weight in rack bags, and for whatever reason they were always harder to carry.

You may have noticed Ashdown pricing is down. You can pick up a new EVOII500 for <$900.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love my Ashdown head. I have the EVO500II. Amazing amp. It sounds warm and as big as a house. It's a perfect match with the Berg mini stack.

I've heard the stack with an Eden WT550 and it sounded great. It's more punchy and "modern" sounding. Great choice as well though, just very different than the Ashdown.

14. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    ARRRGGGHHH! This is making me crazy(er)!
    Quick, somebody buy my iAmp 500...

15. I would go with more juice.

At least a kw at 4 ohms.

Aloha,

Jonathan

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't have the full mini stack, but I do use an Eden WT-550 with an HT112. It sounds fantastic. I don't really NEED an EX112 , but I'd like to have it for the occasional gig when I need a littel more umph.

17. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    (HT + EX) > HT + EX

18. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Hey Tom, I think I've probably got the very speakers you played through! Another guy bought them from Low Down Sound as their demo ones and I got 'em from him.

Found a buyer for my iAmp500 today and I'm still no closer to deciding between the WT-550, ABM500 EVO II or TFB-550. I'm inclined to try the ABM500 or TFB-550, if no other reason than I've already used a WT-550, but neither of the the other two. I guess it'll all come down to which one I can find. I'd really like to be able to try either one before I buy though. Sounds like I can't go wrong with any of the 3 choices.

19. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anyone tried an Aguilar AG500 with the BMS?

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    No, but my suspicion is that it will sound very good. :)

I definitely like the AG500.

Tom;