Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergie HT112 Users - what head do you use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, May 3, 2005.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am selling my Avalon U5 and QSC PLX 1202 in favor of a smaller, lighter head to use with my Bregantino HT112 cab. I play small to medium gigs, jazz to classic rock.

I am wondering what heads you all use and like. I have been spoiled by the Avalon so I am having trouble deciding on a head. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. I use a WWU or ThunderFunk 550.

3. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Keep the U5 and get an AI Focus SA poweramp. I use the Focus SA with my Bergs and use whatever preamp matches the gig. I mainly use my Solstice, Fishman Pro EQ platinum or Sans Amp pedal. It is all so loud and light.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The Focus and the HT112 go together like they were made for one another. The Focus slave amp idea is good, but I like the pre section of the Focus 1 quite bit. The Focus and HT are just tremendously sweet for upright.

W

5. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I forgot to mention that 75% of my playing with my Berg 12s is on upright. So a +1 on Wilbymans statement. But it also kicks a@$ on electric.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    WWU, most of the time.

7. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    +1 WWU most of the time, but for quiet gigs AI Clarus is perfect

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    PJ-

I'd be curious to hear your opinions on the Clarus v. the WWU with the Berg, besides the obvious benefits you'll receive from 10x more headroom/watts going into the Bergie.

W

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Walter Woods 450 watt...hmm, I sense a pattern here :D

10. pjhandlin

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Wilby,

I think the Clarus is a real gem... I've had numerous offers to trade/sell this little amp (mostly from others who have borrowed it or sat in on one of my gigs) and I just can't seem to let it go. Its preamp does something good for my URB tone. Warm, articulate, almost smokey... to my ears it sounds different and maybe better than the WWU pre for my URB. My fav cab for the Clarus and URB is the Acme B1. The HT112 sounds good for URB and can handle way more sound/watts than the B1, which makes it more ideal for use with WWU/Sadowsky.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    PJ, thanks very much for the info.

Will

12. pjhandlin

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I think the Basstasters clips do the Clarus and the WWU justice if you want a sonic representation of the differences. For me the WWU sounds articulate in an upper mid/brite kinda way, yet really deep.

Just last night I was getting to know my new to me Epi 410UL and was trying to sort out what the power amp section of each contributed to the sound. I ran the Clarus preamp into the effects return of the WWU and vice versa with both my Sadowsky MV5 and my URB.

FWIW to me it sounded like the power sections of each are flat and other than headroom differences the preamp contributes to the apperent character of each amp.

13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The slave amp is aninteresting idea, but I want a head. I don't want to bring all the pieces - even if they are small and light. The Focus 1 is tempting, but a little expensive.

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    If WW or Focus is too much $$, I'd say you're looking at a used WT-400, Walkabout, IAmp-500 etc...JMHO.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Thunderfunk for me :cool:

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm starting to lean to an Eden WT-550.

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I use an SWR Electric Blue with mine but I don't really dig the tone at all. The HT112 has a hollow "quacky" sound, sort of similar to the low-end Fishman acoustic pickup sound if that makes any sense. Even pairing it with my newly acquired SM-900 in bridge mode doesn't make it sound good (although that amp sounds great with my NV610). I've been debating whether to sell the HT112 since I have barely touched it since getting it, but this thread has made me wonder if it's just bad amp pairing.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    When I just had one Bergie HT112 I tried it with my old SWR SM400, I thought it would be a good pair.......but it just sounded crappy. I would try a different head.

19. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm very happy with my GK400RB, Eden WT-400, and Euphonic Audio iAmp800 heads into two HT-112s. I play mostly jazz, Latin and dub/funk/improv stuff on electric and upright. I'd love to check out the Focus, WW, and Thunderfunk, but I'd really have to sell something first.

20. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    My Berg HT with Eden 550 = :D