Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergie HT112 vs. HT210S ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slombovia, Nov 30, 2004.

1. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Has anybody compared these Bergantino cabs? The old HT210 was too heavy for me but this new HT210S might be do-able if there are compelling reasons to go with it over the HT112. For example, at times I will have solo gigs with my keyboard sequences in stereo. So if the horn on the HT210S has better dispersion, that might be the way to go.

I have tried the HT112 and it is my fave so far.

I need a pair in stereo. My concerns are:

1) What is the difference in the tweeters?

2) Does one tweeter have better horizontal dispersion than the other?

3) Overall performance, of course.

So, anybody tried both of these?

Thanks,
    Tom H.

2. Seriously... call Jim Bergantino since these cabs just came out and I think Joker is the only one who has actually tried one and posted. I'm guessing, but for one cab the 210s might be better ???? I'm a die hard Berg 112 man but I'm totally interested in the new 210s and sub that I have not seen yet. I am one of the many BergieNutz though. :help:

The horn and tweeter on Bergs are of the highest quality. The mini's have the smaller bullet horn because of the smaller cab dimensions, but all the Bergs have the "coherent" crossoever. That means it's smart.. ;)

Actually I think another TB'r tired too. Do a search on the Bergantino 210S

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Al I know is that my HT112 has never "farted out" on me, where my old SWR 2X10 had. Now, my SWR was no Bergie, but...

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Bump :cool:

5. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Well, then, I'll just hafta call Jim!

I know I can't go wrong with the HT112. I just want to be sure - and at least do homework on the HT210s before pulling the trigger. My whole rig is perfect except for speakers and I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks.

6. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    ...Which I just did. Hurray for portability. :hyper: Jim said that the HT112 probably translates best to other instruments i.e. my multi-instrument keyboard sequences.

Now, would somebody PLEASE buy my Elrick 6 so I can get a pair of HT112s!
    :help:

7. Slom
    Congrats on a great choice. Those little boxes ARE amazing. I'm working on getting another pair or at least another Ht112 for a 3-high column. I'm still very intested in the 210s and sub w/112. I don't really need anymore but I can't leave all the money to my kids...

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

the new "S" series seems to be shipping, cause i had a chance to try one out w/ a Ken Smith "asian" jazz 4 and 5 strings, at Rudy's Music a few days ago. still impressed, and quite fun.

of the two, while the HT112 is one of my fav standalone Berg cabs, i think the "S" would give you added punch with those 10" cones. if you're playing in a dense stage mix, i'd go with the "S" in a heartbeat. riffin' on the low E really gave up the "punch you in the chest" goods.

interesting addendum,

i tried both the "S" and the regular model w/ the house Focus I amp, and hit me over the head, but they sounded the same! quite strange. nonetheless, when i asked the price, the "S" is only $20 cheaper.

also, the regular HT didnt have that glossy sheen i normally hear, which was also quite strange to me. maybe its cause my ears were used to trying out guitar amps downstairs, but i still couldnt figure it out. and yea, made sure the tweets were up and everything.

but y'all know me, cause i'm gonna go back and give 'em another go. ;)

9. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Smaller, lighter and $20 cheaper. Sounds like a success to me.

Be sure to give us an update on your sound double-check.

10. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Actually Joker, it's just the opposite. Justin and I (Rock City Guitars guys) have been using the prototypes for over 2 months now. We have a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm now. The sound of the 210S is much more "in your face" than the HT210. It has much more focus in the mids and kicks you in the chest....HARD. But the HT/EX combo will still cut through a dense rock mix like nothing else!
    On the other side of the coin, the 210S has a rounder, deeper sound, with a bit more politeness across the spectrum. It's a GREAT cab for slap, jazz, fusion, etc. Justin now uses it on 90% of his gigs. I'm still a HT/EX 112 guy, as I love the aggressiveness of those little buggers! The Walter Ultra, and those cabs is a surprisingly great rock rig! Big String'll tell ya' all about it!
    So I guess it's all about what sound you're looking for. With Bergantino's you'll never sound bad!!!!!!! :cool:
    Corey

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah, Corey, I figured you'd chime in here sooner or later.....

Have you had one of the 12" subs in there as well? How is it with the 210s?

If you're in the shop Friday I'll see you then!

12. foot

foot

Oct 23, 2003
    Sao Paulo, Brasil
    Sub 12?? tell me more!!

13. You would prolly do just fine and save yourself some dough with the HT/EX pair. The one tweeter is plenty.

Just a a side note, if you ever use overdrive, the HT 112 is the only tweet equiped cab I have ever tried that was overdrive friendly. As long as you dont overdo it, you can dial up a fair amount of tube grit without getting raspy sounding. I find this very usefull, since I often go between raunchy tube overdrive sounds and clean slap sounds in the same set without having to touch my tweeter control.

I am interested in trying out the new 210 as well, but it would be difficult to convince me that I would ever need anything else as far as cabinets go. It might be cool to hear what the 210 would sound like combined with the HT/EX 112 combo. :cool:

14. Sub questions

I called the Big-Berg myself and talked to him about the 210s. (Rather than seeing therapist I just call Jim and he usually calms me down so I don't buy his whole inventory)
    Anyway, Jim mentioned that he would be designing a sub cab for the 210s with one 12 and the same stackable dimensions, but since neither Cory or Jim chimes in here about the sub, I again suggest you call him and spend some quality time with your gear needs.. :) He'll get back to you if you get the voicemail. You could probably call Cory too since he also very helpful.

15. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I will at times be doing solo gigs with my keyboard sequences - with much instrumentation in stereo so I need tweeters on both sides.

Also, regarding the 12 sub, my impression from Jim B. was that is a drawing board project right now.

Tom H.

16. Cool! That would be the exception to my suggestion. You will definitely not be dissapointed. :bassist:

17. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Oh yeah Big String.....I know all about the 12" sub, I'm just sworn to secrecy right now!!!!!!!!! I've got a prototype right now, but the newer one is even better. That's all I can say for now though! :D
    Corey

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I realize this is a Berg thread...so, I apologize for the partial side-track.
    Big, I forget if you tried the HT/EX112 stack on top of the Schroeder 1210 while you had it (with your Dem/Crest rig)?
    I would think that would be dangerous as well. :ninja:

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I used a DemeterQSCPLX with a Schroeder 1210 and a Bergie HT112 on top.........with excellent results!

20. You Dawg! As in Lucky Dawg.