Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergie NV and the lows

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Happy MurphDay, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Hey All, I just heard a NV610 for the first time and was really amazed, however, It was only with a four string. I know alot of people rave about how it handles a low B, but my question is, How does it handle a consistant Low B, my guitarist uses a 7 string guitar, and I am constantly using my low B, so would it be better to get the NV215?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I play 5-string thru my NV610 and am perfectly satisfied: I think it sounds nice and full even for the lowest notes. That said: I don't worry much whether I'm getting fundamental from those notes... I like the tight punch that sounds great in the mix. It could well be that the apparent fullness of the low lows comes from psychoacoustics or the first harmonic.

If your ears are picky about those low fundamentals, then the NV215 might be the better choice.

3. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I don't want to confuse you anymore, but you should also look at the NV425. 3-10s and a 15. It is a little more round sounding than the NV610. The 2-15 is great and has more top end than you would expect since it has that 6inch driver in there. I've tried all three, but I have only done an A/B on the 610/425. I liked the 425 a little better. It's been a while since I've played the 2-15. I love them all.

4. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Yeah, but can it handle excslusive low b, im not using my e and hitting the b string a few times in scale riffs, but using the low b always, with that said, would the 215 be my best bet?
    fuzz, do you use the 5th string alot or a few notes here and there?

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use the B string a lot in one of my bands: the one that plays modern rock in addition to blues and classic rock. F'r instance, I'm hitting that low B a lot in "Kryptonite". But I'll stray below 4-string range even in blues and classic rock if it feels right to me.

In all of those cases I can definitely hear those low notes... they don't disappear just because they fall below 45Hz or whatever the cab is rated for. But again, I might be hearing harmonics and not fundamental.

I know there are more Bergie NV owners here; I'm sure they'll chime in!

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I have an NV610 and it does the low B thing really well. In fact my guess is that the NV610 is more suited for constant low B playing than the others. I would be pretty surprised if you could articulate as well with two 15s as you can with six 10s, even in a sealed cabinet. I'm sure that the fundamental is more present with the 15s, but it doesn't really seem to be lacking with the 10s.